Regent Cruise Line not the same after Norwegian Purchase

SGolffan

Hello my Regent Friends...We enjoy Regent, even though we've only sailed twice. Compared to other cruise lines....my reasons that I enjoy Regent is the following: I just hate the fact of feeling nickeled and dimed for anything and everything. I love the fact that we board the ship and never have to sign for a purchase unless it is at the store or spa. Yes, I do understand we paid upfront and maybe more than we should have... but that is what we signed up for to travel on Regent.

We are not a "gourmet food" family and only want the finest in meals. Sometimes a hotdog at the pool for lunch is what satisfies our need after a day of touring. We have enjoyed all our meals, but feel the Explorer was top-notch in June 2017. My son thinks room service is the best... he is a teenager. ;)

As I have always said in my posts, when we travel, we go expecting what we want in our vacation. I want to have a wonderful time, enjoy good food, nice wines, enjoy meeting interesting people and looking forward to new places to visit. Sometimes the unexpended happens... a port is cancelled, rough seas, etc. We expect these things, even when we travel on other cruise lines. (Just to point out when we travel on Disney this spring with my young niece and nephew. The seas were so bad on the first night everyone was having difficulty. Those things happen. After 15 trips from Cape Canaveral, we've never had bad seas to the Bahamas before!!).

After our first Regent cruise to Alaska in 2014, we did a 3 day cruise out of Cape Canaveral, just for fun, on RC. OMG! We were shocked at all the people that bought drink vouchers trying to get all the alcohol they could drink in those 3 days. It was shameful and embarrassing. My children even said that they were embarrassed by the adults and only wanted to go on Regent (who wouldn't!).

So, I guess I am saying to this thread.... yes, there are problems with Regent, and maybe those that have many days sailed on Regent have noticed a decline on the services that are offered. We have enjoyed our cruises, made many friends that we have loved getting to know even off the cruise, enjoyed meeting the officers, performers and staff. We met many cruisers on our British Isles trip that were so fun to meet. Even our children made wonderful friends (young and old). Many were long time cruisers on Regent and some were new. Once on board, everyone in my opinion felt equal and just enjoyed the trip. I'm looking forward to making another cruise on Regent in my future. We have to save up, we still have children in high school and college so we have to save our pennies (and more) to be able to experience our next trip.

Sorry for the long post... I just needed to say how I felt about the whole subject. :)

Safe sailing to everyone that has trips soon. I sure wish we were sailing sometime soon!

~Mary

Hello my Regent Friends...We enjoy Regent, even though we've only sailed twice. Compared to other cruise lines....my reasons that I enjoy Regent is the following: I just hate the fact of feeling nickeled and dimed for anything and everything. I love the fact that we board the ship and never have to sign for a purchase unless it is at the store or spa. Yes, I do understand we paid upfront and maybe more than we should have... but that is what we signed up for to travel on Regent.

We are not a "gourmet food" family and only want the finest in meals. Sometimes a hotdog at the pool for lunch is what satisfies our need after a day of touring. We have enjoyed all our meals, but feel the Explorer was top-notch in June 2017. My son thinks room service is the best... he is a teenager. ;)

As I have always said in my posts, when we travel, we go expecting what we want in our vacation. I want to have a wonderful time, enjoy good food, nice wines, enjoy meeting interesting people and looking forward to new places to visit. Sometimes the unexpended happens... a port is cancelled, rough seas, etc. We expect these things, even when we travel on other cruise lines. (Just to point out when we travel on Disney this spring with my young niece and nephew. The seas were so bad on the first night everyone was having difficulty. Those things happen. After 15 trips from Cape Canaveral, we've never had bad seas to the Bahamas before!!).

After our first Regent cruise to Alaska in 2014, we did a 3 day cruise out of Cape Canaveral, just for fun, on RC. OMG! We were shocked at all the people that bought drink vouchers trying to get all the alcohol they could drink in those 3 days. It was shameful and embarrassing. My children even said that they were embarrassed by the adults and only wanted to go on Regent (who wouldn't!).

So, I guess I am saying to this thread.... yes, there are problems with Regent, and maybe those that have many days sailed on Regent have noticed a decline on the services that are offered. We have enjoyed our cruises, made many friends that we have loved getting to know even off the cruise, enjoyed meeting the officers, performers and staff. We met many cruisers on our British Isles trip that were so fun to meet. Even our children made wonderful friends (young and old). Many were long time cruisers on Regent and some were new. Once on board, everyone in my opinion felt equal and just enjoyed the trip. I'm looking forward to making another cruise on Regent in my future. We have to save up, we still have children in high school and college so we have to save our pennies (and more) to be able to experience our next trip.

Sorry for the long post... I just needed to say how I felt about the whole subject. :)

Safe sailing to everyone that has trips soon. I sure wish we were sailing sometime soon!

~Mary

I agree with your sentiment. We enjoy the Regent experience though we haven't had the chance to enjoy it as often as we would like. I have been cruising for 35 years off and on and every cruise line i have tried has changed over time. That is life. Things change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not. What one person considers a bad change another may feel is a good change.

I also wish we were sailing soon but hopefully we will be able to take our trip planned for 2018. In the meantime i follow the threads where kind cruisers take us along on their adventures.

Happy cruising to all.

Mary, I quite agree with and appreciate your post. We started cruising Radisson back in the day with our sons, who were 12 and 17 at the time. We were hooked. The boys are now 26 and 31 with the oldest married, and they still hold Regent as their best cruises ever. They made lots of friends. My youngest loved cruising with his 'old friend" Tom Noon, aka Orpington on these boards.

While we have seen a lot of changes, I still love my Regent cruises, though I am straying more and more to Silversea because of the exploration ships.

Rachel, loved Tom and Barbara Orpington and miss them dearly, thank you for the Tom O mention. He was a wonderful and balanced voice on the Regent cruise critic board. Most importantly, Tom was one of the most loving and dedicated husbands I have observed in his caring for Barbara.

Edited by WesW

Rachel, loved Tom and Barbara Orpington and miss them dearly, thank you for the Tom O mention. He was a wonderful and balanced voice on the Regent cruise critic board. Most importantly, Tom was one of the most loving and dedicated husbands I have observed in his caring for Barbara.

Could not agree with you more. While Tom and I had a few disagreements on CC, once we met, we learned what a wonderful man that he was. We were hoping to sail with them again but apparently it was not meant to be. Still miss him.

Mary u put it in perspective for me

I have cruised just hand full of times

Royal x 3 , twice in the 90s and Europe last year on anthem their is more nick and dimeing and food quality decrease no midnight buffet or free room service

Quality has decreased over time with almost everything

We Just have to include cruising when that something is not as good as it use to be. It is reality

I will do royal again but chose regent for a more intimate traditional cruising experience It will be interesting to see if its worth it:)

I'm am looking forward to the cruise thanks all for the info I can set my expectations accordingly

I know! My husband and I were having the same discussion of where do we go? We love cruising. We haven't been on Seabourn, several friends have; however, they haven't been on Regent after Norwegian purchased, thus, we can't access their feedback. We booked our first river cruise in May with Crystal starting in Switzerland to Vienna.

How formal is the dress code on Silversea? We are looking into the Ritz Carlton yacht coming out in 2019.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You might also want to take a look at the yacht that Scenic Cruises is coming out with (The Scenic Eclipse will have its own helicopter and submarine).

We are still looking forward to our FIRST Regent cruise in May 2018 but our just completed Douro River cruise with Scenic really impressed us into thinking that it may well be similar to the experience that you Regent folks expect! (We had our very own butler and they advertise that you can leave your credit card at home because they are ALL INCLUSIVE.)

Edited by 2onboardagain

You might also want to take a look at the yacht that Scenic Cruises is coming out with (The Scenic Eclipse will have its own helicopter and submarine).

We are still looking forward to our FIRST Regent cruise in May 2018 but our just completed Douro River cruise with Scenic really impressed us into thinking that it may well be similar to the experience that you Regent folks expect! (We had our very own butler and they advertise that you can leave your credit card at home because they are ALL INCLUSIVE.)

We are taking our first Regent cruise in May also. Vancouver to Seward May 30. Which one is yours?

Our only other cruise was Scenic Budapest to Nuremberg. Hooked us on "all inclusive". We owed $20 for laundry at the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are taking our first Regent cruise in May also. Vancouver to Seward May 30. Which one is yours?

Our only other cruise was Scenic Budapest to Nuremberg. Hooked us on "all inclusive". We owed $20 for laundry at the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our First Regent Cruise will be on Voyager from Dubai to Rome May 12 (celebrating an Anniversary so we are splurging!) I know what you mean about being "hooked" on the all inclusive aspects of Scenic; hopefully Regent will not disappoint us. It will be interesting to see how Scenic's entry in the Ocean going market pans out (Viking seems to be doing quite well) Just love all the choices that are available for cruising nowadays. I can remember the days when only "suites" had verandas and now it seems like the sky is the limit with helicopters and a submarine on Scenic Eclipse!

Great to hear from another Regent newbie. I was beginning to think that we were the last cruisers to "discover" them.

We aren't into river cruising but have looked at the Scenic Eclipse that, as you mentioned, will debut next year. It will likely be difficult to compare a ship that holds 225 passengers (200 when it goes to Antartica) with any luxury cruise ship - even Regent's Explorer that holds 750.

The only thing that puzzled us about the Scenic Eclipse was the pricing. If you go into the Scenic Australia website - look at the prices and do the conversation to U.S. dollars, it is comparable to luxury cruise lines in the U.S. However, when you go to the U.S. website where the fares are quoted in our currency, it suddenly becomes extremely expensive.

Also, assume that you realize that the helicopter and submarine are an additional cost. I do feel that sailing on the Eclipse would be a wonderful experience, but I don't see it taking away much business from Crystal, Regent, Seabourn or Silversea.

We aren't into river cruising but have looked at the Scenic Eclipse that, as you mentioned, will debut next year. It will likely be difficult to compare a ship that holds 225 passengers (200 when it goes to Antartica) with any luxury cruise ship - even Regent's Explorer that holds 750.

The only thing that puzzled us about the Scenic Eclipse was the pricing. If you go into the Scenic Australia website - look at the prices and do the conversation to U.S. dollars, it is comparable to luxury cruise lines in the U.S. However, when you go to the U.S. website where the fares are quoted in our currency, it suddenly becomes extremely expensive.

Also, assume that you realize that the helicopter and submarine are an additional cost. I do feel that sailing on the Eclipse would be a wonderful experience, but I don't see it taking away much business from Crystal, Regent, Seabourn or Silversea.

Oh you are quite right and I was not trying to compare the Scenic Eclipse to any of the larger luxury vessels. I was merely responding to SGOLFFAN's comment about looking at the Ritz Carlton Yacht and mentioned that Scenic will also be in the Yacht category next year and might be worth a quick comparison.

• 1 month later...
Nice to hear some good things about Regent as we have a trip to Asia coming up in April on Voyager and I hate to read all the complaints. Thanks.

We will be on the Voyager in Asia in late March (our cruise ends in Hong Kong which might be your embarkation port). I've heard very positive things about the Voyager since it was refurbished and look forward to sailing on her for the first time in at least two years (we've mostly sailed Mariner and Explorer).

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on poor reviews. Just read about six reviews - one poor review was about a PH suite being too small for three people. Three people have stayed in a regular suite on the Mariner (much smaller than a PH suite on Voyager) and didn't complain. Then there is a negative post about the vibration on the Voyager. This poster obviously didn't read anything about the ship and/or had a TA that didn't know much about the ship. After all, the vibration on the Voyager has been discussed ad nauseam for 13+ years. My point is that, while is a good idea to read reviews, look for a theme. For me, the beds could be an issue based on a couple of posts ........ if I read more negative posts about the beds, I'll believe it but not until then. Most people love the new beds on the Explorer, Voyager and Navigator and the older beds on the Mariner are comfortable so I'm not sure what the poor reviews are about.

I'll likely be posting from the Voyager and will give my honest impressions. The Voyager was our favorite ship until the Explorer was built so we are looking forward to being back onboard!

travelcat2, Thank you for your input on this which is based upon your years of cruising experience on this line and others! Each person's opinion is valued and those that have actual past and recent Regent experience is the most valuable.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on poor reviews. Just read about six reviews - one poor review was about a PH suite being too small for three people. Three people have stayed in a regular suite on the Mariner (much smaller than a PH suite on Voyager) and didn't complain. Then there is a negative post about the vibration on the Voyager. This poster obviously didn't read anything about the ship and/or had a TA that didn't know much about the ship. After all, the vibration on the Voyager has been discussed ad nauseam for 13+ years. My point is that, while is a good idea to read reviews, look for a theme. For me, the beds could be an issue based on a couple of posts ........ if I read more negative posts about the beds, I'll believe it but not until then. Most people love the new beds on the Explorer, Voyager and Navigator and the older beds on the Mariner are comfortable so I'm not sure what the poor reviews are about.

So a poster has a complaint about vibration on the Voyager. Then comes a sweeping declaration that the poster "obviously didn't read anything about the ship and/or had a TA that didn't know much about the ship". (Really, does anyone believe that a poster simply said lets spend thousands of dollars and throw some dice to choose a ship and I'm not going to read anything about the ship???)

What is the logic? How could anyone know this about the poster or travel agent and why characterize a poster and travel agent in this denigrating manner?

Nor do I understand the logic of trying to de-emphasize or refute what the poster said about vibration on the basis that it is a well-known problem on the Voyager.

What am I missing here?

No wonder these threads go off the rails.

We have been cruising since 2003. Having done research myself and having an excellent TA has been to our advantage.

Regarding Cruise Critic I had not even heard of this set up until 2014 when I then started to post.

I managed to be resourceful enough before being aware of this type of online service.

Do I find it always helpful, that’s debatable. Many of us on this board have a wealth of knowledge and experience gained from our past and current travels and quite often when posting our review of events or assessments they are brought into question.

I would say we are very realistic and always optimistic prior to each cruise, and at the end of the day as been mentioned here many a time it’s only your opinion and experience on board that matters.

I do feel though that many of us are undermined and berated at times here without due cause, as nobody would actually be aware of most our previous cruising and travel experience since we don’t all provide that history on post.

Treat all posts irrespective whether positive or negative equally as that poster has taken the time to pass on their own experience. Jean.

I would hope that ALL reviews, both positive and negative, were written by people who had “actual...experience” onboard Regent, otherwise they’re not really ‘reviews’, are they?

Perhaps not debate, but definitely discussion. I firmly believe that some reviews, especially viciously negative reviews, should be discussed.

In reference to my comment, I used the word "dissection" . Discussion should always be welcome, of course.

Quote: "We eventually began to understand that we became our own victims while thinking this was the best. Since we untethered ourselves, we discovered there were other worlds of cruising out there that didn't require overpaying for our perceived luxury".

Agree, we made the same mistake. Maybe this is why we were somewhat disappointed with some things on the Explorer. The ship itself did not disappoint, nor Regent Air and tours, but we really expected more regarding service... it was so inconsistent as was the food.

I read pretty much everything I could find on the Explorer and because of those reviews developed an expectation that was not met. Guess it was my fault for expecting too much.

We really wanted Regent to become our new go to ships but at this time just can't see paying 5 star prices for 3 star service and 4 star food.

As posted above, we had a great trip in September on the Voyager. However, that is not to say that there were not glitches. Service in the Bars was inconsistent or lacking and the Entertainment team were not as top notch as previous cruises. There seemed to be confusion about how things were to be done, who was doing it, etc. Did it ruin our trip? No, but these elements did take away from the "luxury" aspect of a cruise.

We sail Regent because it meets our expectations and the staff and crew will go out of their way to ensure we are cared for. From time to time, expectations are exceeded and that is also special. We have only tried another cruise line once - Holland America in one of their top cabins. For a variety of reasons, I would never sail them again.

• 2 weeks later...
I have another opinion. I think that Regent has changed but for the better since being purchased by NCLH. (we currently have 375 nights on Radisson/Regent).

The biggest improvement, IMO, is the food. Many years ago I seem to remember that there was Filet Mignon offered in CR every night. That went away and has now returned (plus we have the options of lobster and many other high end choices). There are several options special dishes (appetizers, soups, salads and entrees) that are different every night. And, IMO, the quality has improved.

On our last cruise (that ended last week) the service in the restaurants was impeccable. The same can be said for our 4 Explorer cruises that were within the last 14 months. Our butler was so good that we are requesting him for our next cruise.

The ships are in better shape than they have ever been in -- new beds, new furniture - everything in the suites taken down to the bare walls and redone (except for Mariner that will be done next year). When we started sailing on Radisson, the ships were not in good shape mechanically -- the carpets needed replacing and some of the sheets were threadbare.

The wine is better some times than others. We always find a wine or two that we like. Interestingly, the same complaints are made on other luxury lines. I suspect that many luxury cruisers are wine connoisseurs and would find included wine to be less than desired.

The entertainment is subjective. I prefer the new NCHL group while other passengers preferred Jean Ann Ryan singers or dancers (or even the group that performed before JAR). I would not be happy with Beauty and the Beast. Was this an entire show or just part of the Broadway show? I seriously doubt if Regent shows are done on NCL ships as they definitely would not be appreciated by children and the younger demographic onboard NCL. However, NCLH is likely saving money by having their entertainers trained by the same company - even though the shows are different (note: we have sailed Oceania twice and did not see the same shows as on Regent).

Wish you happy sailing with whatever luxury line you choose. We went to Silversea for a while. It was very good but we were happy to come home to Regent.

Thank you for the bright light. We are boarding the Navigator 11 Dec. for our first Regent and we have 25 nts. booked for next year. We have tried Oceania and we felt too much NCL as did many others. However, it is not all inclusive and Regent seemed a better value. We are wine drinkers and felt we would purchase if we felt the need, as we do not consume massive amounts daily. We do suites and Haven on NCL when cruising with the kids and grandkids and expect more from a luxury line. Now I will sit back and look forward to being well taken care of.