Vines wine bar stemware

voljeep

The staff in Vines will stop you if you try to take "Vines stemware" out of Vines. They will pour your remaining wine in a different glass. As I would stop in Vines every night of our cruise before entering a dining venue, Carmen on the Crown Princess got to where she would ask me if I wanted a to go glass..or if we were staying and having Tapas first.

Interesting, huh?

( grabs a beer...):evilsmile:

I believe they are using some type of Riedel or other crystal glasses which are more delicate and more expensive and they don't want to lose their glasses as the venue is only allocated a certain number. The everyday wine glasses they use in the dining room are made of stronger glass.

It is because the wine glasses themselves in Vines are quite expensive.

They are Riedel (the brand) glasses which are know for their design for

wine snobs like me. You can probably google the information.

It is very interesting- the lip if the glass is virtually non- existent and is called

"rimless" which enables the wine to slide into your mouth without

a barrier.

I worked in an Italian restaurant and we only served in Riedel glassware. We all

participated in a class i which we were taught how to discern the difference in

taste from a Riedel glass vs. something like a "Libby" wineglass. It as astounding!

"Price is dictated by quality and amount of crystal as well as craftsmanship. A glass that is hand or mouth blown (like the Riedel Sommelier line) will have a much higher price tag than a glass that is mass produced. Moreover, the small amounts of lead in certain crystal glassware actually create minuscule bumps in the glass so when the wine is swirled the aromas and flavors are much more discernible"

On the rest of the ship, I believe that the wineglasses are by Libby.

So, that is why Vines will not let you remove your wine glass from Vines. Believe me,

I have tried!!!:halo:

Love Vines! Because I read Cruise Critic, I knew to ask for a "to go" glass when we were taking wine to the dining room. I wish Princess would put a nice tasteful sign on the tables to explain this to people. I felt sorry for the servers having to chase people down as they were leaving and I would think it also embarrassing or annoying for those who were being chased down.

:eek:

does it depend on the 'quality' of the wine to taste the difference between different types of stemware?

Somewhat because you cannot do much to improve 4.99 stuff. But it does make a difference as I have done various tests myself at home.

I believe I have had the Riedel in Crown Grill as well (or perhaps I asked for it?). I wonder if you got to know Vines staff well enough to be trusted to bring the glass back right after dinner, if they might allow it? Would be nice to have especially with own wine on board. Needless to say, I won't be packing Riedel's.

Also, IDK for sure, but I doubt Princess has the Sommelier line of glasses (the original top end, but so many types now I am not sure). They probably have a less expensive line (Vinum or equivalent which are machine-made) which is also very good with same bowl shapes and so forth. Difference is mainly machine-made versus hand-blown bowls as I recall. Had Riedel at Winemakers Dinner.

Steelers36:

Great additional info! I already felt like I was rambling.

Princess- how about this: For your wine aficionados; can we just

add a "Riedel wine glass deposit" to our shipboard account and when

we turn it in at the end of the cruise, the deposit is subtracted from

our account.

Also, as another poster suggested, it would be wise to put a nice

flyer of sorts on the tables in Vines for educational purposes. That

would help both staff and passengers out.

This post made me smile, brought back memories of lots of delicious wines at Vines! And yes, I agree that nice glass makes that wine taste good! In an opposite effect, we were at a wedding last night and our choices were Franzia White Zin or Franzia Merlot in a plastic cup. Funny how that Merlot tastes just fine at a casual wedding on a county fairgrounds but if I were to be drinking it at home.....or maybe it’s just me. The glass and the venue and the occasion and the company all complement the wine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Somewhat because you cannot do much to improve 4.99 stuff. But it does make a difference as I have done various tests myself at home.

I believe I have had the Riedel in Crown Grill as well (or perhaps I asked for it?). I wonder if you got to know Vines staff well enough to be trusted to bring the glass back right after dinner, if they might allow it?

Sometimes...I’ve been allowed to bring my glass to the DR and brought it back to Vines immediately after dinner.:)

Would be nice to have especially with own wine on board. Needless to say, I won't be packing Riedel's.

Also, IDK for sure, but I doubt Princess has the Sommelier line of glasses (the original top end, but so many types now I am not sure). They probably have a less expensive line (Vinum or equivalent which are machine-made) which is also very good with same bowl shapes and so forth. Difference is mainly machine-made versus hand-blown bowls as I recall. Had Riedel at Winemakers Dinner.

^ Answer in red...

I would often take two glasses from the bartop when I went for morning coffee - they were not crystal or anything great -they were the same you get in the MDR - when you order wine glasses from room service you get water glasses

You can distinguish Riedel from other wine glasses by the ‘Riedel’ trademark etched on the base of the glass.

We are by no means wine snobs nor do we have refined palates. (If I could detect "notes of asparagus and pencil lead" in my wine I'd spit it out!) However the wine we drank on our recent 28 day cruise did indeed taste much better when consumed in Vines than when we go the same wine "to go" to take to dinner. Like I said, when it comes to wine we are not sophisticated but we know what we experienced. My only conclusion is that the stemware does indeed make a difference.

Does that make the wine taste 'better' ?

The fact is, that the shape of the glass does indeed affect the way wine tastes along with other factors such as environment, temperature, altitude, exposure to oxygen, and even the cork (if there is one.) Here are some interesting articles explaining the science behind how the shape of a glass affects the taste of wine:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/wine-snobs-are-right-glass-shape-does-affect-flavor/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tmullen/2016/08/25/why-the-shape-of-a-glass-shapes-the-taste-of-your-wine/#5ef750666554

http://winefolly.com/episode/wine-glasses-majorly-affect-the-taste/

I usually buy bottles of wine for dinner and ask for Riedel glasses in the MDR and Specialty restaurants. They go get me one, no fuss.

The MDR glasses are thick with a tiny bowl unsuitable for aerating the wine. Swish it and your dining companion will be wiping her face with a napkin. When the wine passes over the rim you get notes of "glass" overshadowing the "oak and huckleberry with hints of late afternoon in Tuscany"

The glasses they use on Princess are Luigi Bormioli brand "Michelangelo" sold at retail for $20 for 12 but PCL would get them much cheaper than that. They hold very little wine.

I only buy wine by the glass in Vines and drink it while I am there so have never had the to-go cup issue.

Norris

Does that make the wine taste 'better' ?
Interestingly, yes. A while ago we did a Reidel wine tasting class. We compared various wine by tasting them from a regular bar wine glass then the appropriate varietal Reidel glass. As a born skeptic, I thought it would be fun but nothing more. I was very surprised to find that the wines had distinctly different and better characteristics when tasted from the Reidel glasses. Made me a believer.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

Steelers36:

Great additional info! I already felt like I was rambling.

Princess- how about this: For your wine aficionados; can we just

add a "Riedel wine glass deposit" to our shipboard account and when

we turn it in at the end of the cruise, the deposit is subtracted from

our account.

Also, as another poster suggested, it would be wise to put a nice

flyer of sorts on the tables in Vines for educational purposes. That

would help both staff and passengers out.

Easier to take one with you.