Cunard to Base Queen Elizabeth Cruise Ship in Australia in 2019

LauraS

When I first saw the title, I almost thought it was for the whole year! But phew it's only as part of the World Cruise. And I think we already knew this from US agents websites a couple of weeks ago. 4th February until 3rd April, with New Zealand ports for a week in March.

31st May 2019 sees the QE in Vancouver, still part of the World Cruise, and I'm wondering when she'll be back in the UK.

Edited by Ray66

When I first saw the title, I almost thought it was for the whole year! But phew it's only as part of the World Cruise. And I think we already knew this from US agents websites a couple of weeks ago. 4th February until 3rd April, with New Zealand ports for a week in March.

31st May 2019 sees the QE in Vancouver, still part of the World Cruise, and I'm wondering when she'll be back in the UK.

QE will be doing cruise sectors around Australia/NZ, like QM2 is now.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Pretty shrewd of Cunard, aka Carnival. Another cash cow.

Indeed Sir Richard, 100% occupancy and the lounges/bars packed with drinkers, imbibing in huge quantities of Adult Beverages. The drink stewards will love it, all that 15% gratuity !!:hearteyes:

QM2 is sailing full from Sydney tomorrow, I expect it will be hard for us to find a spot in the lounges/bars.

QE to be based in Melbourne for 2 months from early 2019. That certainly makes it a whole lot easier for Aussies to enjoy the Cunard experience !

Hi Dowunder.

Any idea which berth she will be using.

While in Melbourne two years ago Queen Mary 2 had to use a berth some distance away from the centre...

22772852599_889f6202b2_z.jpg

While a Celebrity ship was at the easier accessed Spirit Station Pier...

22586597573_82c025a4df_z.jpg

Solent Richard, no indication of berth. Virtually all ships berth at Station Pier ( QV will be here on March 15 ) as the light rail terminus right at the wharf provides easy access to the city. It is very rare for ships to berth at the other wharf as indicated. It may have been that Station Pier was fully occupied on that occasion . There is constant talk of Station Pier being upgraded as berthing facilities for ships to Melbourne are inadequate . Much to the chagrin of the City Council and tourist authorities, Sydney gets about 300 ships per year while Melbourne,with its poor facilities, gets about 80. Having such a magnificent harbour in Sydney of course helps.

Edited by Dowunder

This is terrific news.

Celebrity have made good money and more importantly, have some very good itineraries by basing Solstice around Australia and also doing the Oz-NZ run. They usually have a good circumnavigation cruise and also a Sydney out and return to Brisbane including the Barrier reef. They book up quickly and hold brochure prices so must be popular.

Previously, the only way to see Australia with Cunard was a couple of quick touch and go stops on a world cruise before heading off to Japan, Singapore or China so putting QE there for a couple of months is what DW and I have waited for.

I wonder how Cunard will handle the Australian approach to gratuities? I hope they don't jack up base prices in the expectation that many will refuse to pay but then leave the rest of us who've been indoctrinated to continue paying.

Hi all, we are new to Cunard but not cruising and would like to do a Pacific islands cruise in 2019 big days and wedding anniversary - if QE is going to be in that area is it likely that she will do the Pacific islands - thank you

Hi all, we are new to Cunard but not cruising and would like to do a Pacific islands cruise in 2019 big days and wedding anniversary - if QE is going to be in that area is it likely that she will do the Pacific islands - thank you

Unfortunately not, the information we have received so far from our TA only lists 2 cruises to New Zealand and 3 to Tasmania. Departures will be shared between Sydney and Melbourne with itineraries due on the 14th of March. A Pacific islands itinerary would have been great but it looks like it hasn't made the cut this time.

• 5 months later...

When I win the lottery I plan on taking this ship of course I will have ballroom classes under my belt for six months or longer before I do everyone pray for me and cross your fingers because I'm buying a scratcher tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's fantastic news. Here's hoping Cunard bases one of the vista ships in Australiasia either all year round or even half a year in 2020.

They'll make a fortune from the Australian market for sure - biggest cruise growth market globally at the moment.

Sadly, I cannot get time off work during Feb and March :mad:

That's fantastic news. Here's hoping Cunard bases one of the vista ships in Australiasia either all year round or even half a year in 2020.

They'll make a fortune from the Australian market for sure - biggest cruise growth market globally at the moment.

Sadly, I cannot get time off work during Feb and March :mad:

With only having 3 ships in the fleet and QM2 basically doing transatlantic cruising do not think Cunard will ever base QE or QV for that length of time they do well enough based in UK with European/American market.

Hi Dowunder.

Any idea which berth she will be using.

While in Melbourne two years ago Queen Mary 2 had to use a berth some distance away from the centre...

22772852599_889f6202b2_z.jpg

While a Celebrity ship was at the easier accessed Spirit Station Pier...

22586597573_82c025a4df_z.jpg

Hey, that's the view from my apartment!

• 3 weeks later...
QE to be based in Melbourne for 2 months from early 2019. That certainly makes it a whole lot easier for Aussies to enjoy the Cunard experience !

Experience you must be joking i will put on my Penguin Suite my wife her tiara to go in the MDR

The Queens are designed for the transatlantic and have very small balcony's if any, small pools

also for a so called English ships all charges in $US Dollars to get to Melbourne a big drive from country areas flights from other citys vary from four hours to two hours plus time spent in airports and transfers most other Cruise lines have done away with formal nights and are smart casual The English cruise lines have got it wrong Re the weather when cruising up the East coast of Australia it has cyclones and heavy rain in our summer not winter. i have cruise P&O on the Oriana good services and charges in Pome pounds Cunard sorry not for me Aussie

most other Cruise lines have done away with formal nights and are smart casual

The formal nights are what make Cunard special for me. Luckily there are lots of cruise lines so you can find one without the formal nights that will be just right for you.

Experience you must be joking i will put on my Penguin Suite my wife her tiara to go in the MDR

The Queens are designed for the transatlantic and have very small balcony's if any, small pools

also for a so called English ships all charges in $US Dollars to get to Melbourne a big drive from country areas flights from other citys vary from four hours to two hours plus time spent in airports and transfers most other Cruise lines have done away with formal nights and are smart casual The English cruise lines have got it wrong Re the weather when cruising up the East coast of Australia it has cyclones and heavy rain in our summer not winter. i have cruise P&O on the Oriana good services and charges in Pome pounds Cunard sorry not for me Aussie

The Feb to April sailings will avoid most of the extreme weather you mention. Many cruise lines out of Australia still charge $USD (which is far preferable to paying in GBP for Aussies), although ships regularly plying our waters or staying for a few months now do offer AUD payments.

Only the QM2 was built for the Atlantic (would never do a TA on QE or QV, which are calm water vessels). The balconies on QE (and presumably on QV - same design, yet to sail on her) are an excellent size and comparable to other ships sailing in and out of Australia. Actually, I find them to be bigger than Princess (which has a large presence here).

As for the formality of Cunard, there are lots of people who are prepared to dress up for dinner. In past years, Cunard voyages around Australia have sold out at a premium (massive price hikes compared to when they sail elsewhere - the Australia Tax at it again) so they'll be able to fill berths without a doubt.

I am keen for the new Cunard ship in 2022.

QE will be nice for Melbourne.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I suspect that one of the Cunard ships will be repositioned to Australasia-Pacific for part of each year from now on. Once 2022 rolls around, it is likely we will see a more global itinerary year round.