Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:46 PM.
ontario
1,066 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
We are staying at the Amora Hotel on Jamison in Sydney is there any where in this area where we can get a Meat Pie, we would love to try your meat pies?

thanks Sue
I come from a land down under
23,810 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Pretty much everywhere.

Now my favourite is Harry's Cafe de Wheels (in the commercial range) and there's one at Haymarket, or the original location at woolloomooloo on the waterfront.

Next I'd probably go a Mrs Mac's at pretty much any 7-11 etc or a Garlo's
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Gold Coast
10,272 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
If you go to a tiny shop (road side) at Circular Quay you will be able to buy a Harry's meat pie, which are the best.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Batehaven, Australia
10,430 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Several bakeries in Sydney CBD that make and sell their own 'Dogs Eyes' with Horse of course.

Above all enjoy and watch the gravy !!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
Queensland
6,953 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by go fish 44
We are staying at the Amora Hotel on Jamison in Sydney is there any where in this area where we can get a Meat Pie, we would love to try your meat pies?

thanks Sue
Are you going on a cruise? Which ship? Some Princess ships serve the real Aussie meat pies (Mrs Mac brand) at the grill overlooking the pool.
Perth Western Australia
720 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
You cannot fail to find a meat pie in any Australia city within 200 metres of where you are standing - we cannot stand to be too far from one of our favourite, cheap and tasty pies. Don't forget to ask for the sauce (ketchup for our USA friends}
23,810 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by NSWP
Several bakeries in Sydney CBD that make and sell their own 'Dogs Eyes' with Horse of course.

Above all enjoy and watch the gravy !!
Yep and some of the small places make the very best. A little bakery in Tasmania make one of the best I've ever had, and believe me I've had a few, but it's easier for a local to find a good one than a visitor that's why I try to suggest a few that are pretty easy to find.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

23,810 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by Aus Traveller
Are you going on a cruise? Which ship? Some Princess ships serve the real Aussie meat pies (Mrs Mac brand) at the grill overlooking the pool.

And wasn't I a happy little camper when I found out about that before our Circumnavigation. Was worried about going 34 days without a dogs eye with dead horse.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

632 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
You need to have a Harry's with the works. I prefer the veggie pie but with the mash potatoes, peas and gravy on top.
Watched a few cruiseships leaving Newcastle, parked at Horseshoe Beach with a Harry's for dinner!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Fedor Shalyapin 1979 ........... Queen Elizabeth x 2
Dawn Princess x 5................ Queen Mary 2 x 1
Sun Princess x 1.................. Oriana x 1
Sea Princess x 1.................. Volendam x 1
Diamond Princess x 1........... Pacific Jewell x 1
Rhapsody of the Seas x 2...... Pacific Aria x 1
Radiance of the Seas x 7....... Celebrity Solstice x 1
Voyager of the Seas x 5 ........Ovation of the Seas x 1
Pacific Explorer x 1
23,810 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by megsie
You need to have a Harry's with the works. I prefer the veggie pie but with the mash potatoes, peas and gravy on top.
Watched a few cruiseships leaving Newcastle, parked at Horseshoe Beach with a Harry's for dinner!
Me too.

When QE was in last year they sold out.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

23,810 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
In South east Queensland, my vote goes to Yatala pies, half way between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
Yep they're another good one.

Fredo's just out of Kempsey are also great.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Batehaven, Australia
10,430 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
In South east Queensland, my vote goes to Yatala pies, half way between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
Indeed, had those and Fredos on my many journeys to Northern NSW and Qld, to visit relos. Before Coeliac hit me and now no real pies, just GF rubbish.

Goldsteins in Qld, many branches also made a good dogs eye.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
23,810 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Indeed, had those and Fredos on my many journeys to Northern NSW and Qld, to visit relos. Before Coeliac hit me and now no real pies, just GF rubbish.

Daughter is G/F too swears by Ridgy Didge. Says nearly as good as real ones.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Gold Coast
10,272 Posts
Joined Sep 2007

Agree that Goldsteins on the Gold Coast make good pies.

It is funny how everyone in my family stops at a particular specialty pie shop en route to Coffs Harbour. Yet we can't remember the name of the town on the river, nor the shop, but we all know where to stop for a great pie. There are little pie shops like that all over Australia, who do a good business on the strength of their pies.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Melbourne Australia
68 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
now if they are still available when you arrive in australia , head into coles and look for a four&twenty vegemite and chesse meat pie , they tell me they are delicious however you will have to heat them up yourself
Western Australia
659 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by GUT2407
And wasn't I a happy little camper when I found out about that before our Circumnavigation. Was worried about going 34 days without a dogs eye with dead horse.
Mrs Mac's? Yuk. Avoid at all costs. Go for a Harry's.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

23,810 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by Beejay4016
Mrs Mac's? Yuk. Avoid at all costs. Go for a Harry's.
Every time if I could, but not always possible.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Australia
1,308 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Like Fredos it's not accessible by cruise ship - a long, long way from the sea in fact - but Fran at Larrimah in the NT used to make the best steak and kidney pie you'd ever tasted. She was a retired shearer's cook and the pies were real deep dish and didn't even need tom diddle.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

23,810 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by wishfulone
Like Fredos it's not accessible by cruise ship - a long, long way from the sea in fact - but Fran at Larrimah in the NT used to make the best steak and kidney pie you'd ever tasted. She was a retired shearer's cook and the pies were real deep dish and didn't even need tom diddle.
A shearer's cook would know how to make a good steak and kid, but I'd still want dead horse.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature