Code Red

Uncle D

To anyone currently on Mariner,

Is the ship still in code red?

We are new to Regent and this is a new thing for us. What exactly does Code Red mean? I assume it means people are sick but how does if affect the people who are not sick?

We are new to Regent and this is a new thing for us. What exactly does Code Red mean? I assume it means people are sick but how does if affect the people who are not sick?

Hi - we were on the Mariner last month when it first went Code Red. There were about 14 people that had the flu. In order to keep it from spreading, they put procedures in place such as:

- Only paper menus - discarded after each use

- No salt/pepper shakers on the table

- No bread on the table (other than what you get from your server)

- You are served at the buffet rather than serving yourself

- Laundry is closed

- Library is closed

- Games and puzzles locked away

- Restroom doors are left open to alleviate touching handles

- Crew is cleaning the ship 24/7

Code Red is a does not happen often but once it starts, it is hard to control because people that are already sick still touch things (railings, buttons on the elevator).

-

More than you probably wanted to know.:confused: Click on Blue text for links

Code Red has to do with any infectious disease outbreak on any cruise ship, be it the flu, noro virus, Legionnaires’ disease, measles, rubella, meningococcal disease, varicella , etc.

Code Red is called when a certain percentage of the ship crew and/or passengers is sick. The percentage varies by Company, but is usually 2%-3%. There is also, usually, a lower Code Yellow.

The CDC usually require the ship report GI outbreaks at 2% level.

The CDC sets forth certain standard that the ship should follow for both prevention and remediation/reporting.

J

41/602

I agree JMARINER. I posted the CDC requirement in another post but was rebuffed. I'm glad you noted the potential diseases. From the CDC site:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/p...andwashing/handwashingtips.pdf

Ron

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

You linked a site that cannot not found.

I am also glad that the potential illnesses were linked since we were mistakenly told on another thread that the only reason for Code Red is norovirus. That post clearly disputes that notion and is a point I've been trying to make for days. If Regent says that there are a dozen cases of the flu onboard - there are a dozen cases of the flu.

The Mariner seems to be cursed. It was code red in Jan. when the Explorer docked next to it at Cartagena. That is what we were told when we asked to go aboard to look it over. It appears to have been code red on voyages since then too.

Didn't know about January -- it obviously wasn't norovirus since it isn't on the CDC list but still......... it is about time that it stops. Although Mariner isn't our favorite ship, we do pay attention to where she is sailing and what is going on with her. It seems that most cases of illness happen on the Mariner when she is in South America - specifically when people board in Lima. Not sure what this is about or if it isn't as much of a trend as it seems to be. Guess we'll see next month when we sail the Mariner to Brazil. Should be interesting!

"Hi - we were on the Mariner last month when it first went Code Red. There were about 14 people that had the flu. In order to keep it from spreading, they put procedures in place such as:

- Only paper menus - discarded after each use

- No salt/pepper shakers on the table

- No bread on the table (other than what you get from your server)

- You are served at the buffet rather than serving yourself

- Laundry is closed

- Library is closed

- Games and puzzles locked away

- Restroom doors are left open to alleviate touching handles

- Crew is cleaning the ship 24/7"

Hello, I have been following this board for a while as Regent is on my wanna do list. If not off topic, could someone explain why the laundry is off limits during a code red. In my mind cleaning one's clothes would remove at least some germs from the environment.

Annie

Hello, I have been following this board for a while as Regent is on my wanna do list. If not off topic, could someone explain why the laundry is off limits during a code red. In my mind cleaning one's clothes would remove at least some germs from the environment.

Annie

Hi Annie - I asked my husband about the laundry being off limits. He is an engineer and told me that the water in the washing machines was not hot enough to kill the virus. So, rather than cleaning and disinfecting the clothes, the washing machines would spread the virus.

Jackie

P.S. Roninpsnow - if you do the math, the Mariner did reach the threshold of 2-3% of passengers and therefore had to abide by CDC's rules and had to report it.

Mariner has been on code red on every cruise since 9/8 and even on cruises dating back to January.

So the conclusion is:

“It seems that most cases of illness happen on Mariner when she is in South America - specifically when people board in Lima.” TC2 post #11

Makes sense... I guess we now have our answer.

With all your posts on one subject at this point who really cares.

You just can't seem to stop!

This is why I hesitate to post any comments on CC because who ever makes a suggestion to help others there is always someone who undermines the post or knows more!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Yes - that is the case. Even though I have a lot of experience on Regent, there is always someone who knows more. I don't think of it as undermining a post - simply adding to the conversation. Many people come to the Regent board to ask questions and they receive a variety of answers - not all of them are in agreement. However, the information provided on this site is invaluable. I learned from others many years ago (and am still learning) and get pleasure out of providing information to those that are new to Regent.

IMO, the key to being successful on CC is to be polite and, when necessary, agree to disagree. Most Regent passengers are well traveled and somewhat opinionated. I appreciate all opinions and make up my own mind as to whose advice is more valuable to me. For this reason, I would never try to stifle anyone's opinions on CC (but will debate them). After all, no one knows it all - but some have more experience on Regent ships than others.

To be honest, I have no idea why this thread was started since there is another active "Code Red" related thread. However, after JMARINER posted (who has more experience than I do), it brought everything into perspective (especially the part that norovirus is not the only illness that puts a ship into Code Red).

“To be honest, I have no idea why this thread was started since there is another active "Code Red" related thread”. tc2

I started the thread to ask current travelers on Mariner if the ship is currently on code red. It is a simple question for anyone now onboard. I do not see an active thread dedicated to this topic.

As this thread relates, I would like to post a copy of a relevant part of an email that I sent to Regent on my return home from a cruise on the Mariner in early September 2017.

"I regret to inform you that we had a verybad last day on board and subsequent Couple of days in San Francisco because ofvery high temperature 100.07 F. It affected both my wife and I and we ended upsleeping most of the time in a Hotel guest room in stead of visiting with our son.We had very tight chests and repeated coughing. We did see a doctor whoconfirmed that we had a fever and that it was probably viral. This obviouswrecked a fairly good cruise.

Whilst I fully accept that the cruiseline cannot be held responsible for controlling Germs, they can certainly do alot to mitigate them. After cruising with many other cruise lines I canhonestly say that the protocols and general cleansing regime on board left a lot to bedesired. Yes there were hand cleansing machines in most of the places where youwould expect them, but there was nobody enforcing there use. For example whenentering a restaurant nearly all cruise lines would have a staff member in attendanceto ensure they are used by everybody. The same when returning to the ship aftergoing ashore, there was nobody at the end of the gangway, just a lonely machine whichnot many guests used.

It was no wonder we were informed of apotential problem a couple of days towards the end of the cruise and even then after the regimewas tightened, still nobody making sure the cleansers were being used. I amvery annoyed about this and felt that I should write to you first of all, foryour response."

The following is the relevant section of their response to me.

"We are quite dismayed to learn that you had become ill during yourcruise and certainly hope that you are enjoying good health at this time. As we are sure you can appreciate, viruses or bacteriological infections can becontracted at any time, not only on cruise ships, but also as we go about ourdaily lives at home and at work. A cruise ship is like a large family,and when one member contracts an infection of any kind it can spreadrapidly. While Regent Seven Seas Cruises maintains rigorous standards ofsanitation and hygiene in compliance with U.S. and international regulations,unfortunately, we cannot totally prevent the possibility that passengers orcrew members may become exposed to an infectious agent during theirtravels. As new guests with Regent, I can assure you we certainly try ourbest to help ensure an enjoyable travel experience for our guests and havealready communicated these concerns with the on board staff."

My main point was that I didn't feel they encouraged the use of procedures that might help reduce the spread of infectious agents, as they call them.

Sorry it's so long

As this thread relates, I would like to post a copy of a relevant part of an email that I sent to Regent on my return home from a cruise on the Mariner in early September 2017.

"We are quite dismayed to learn that you had become ill during yourcruise and certainly hope that you are enjoying good health at this time. As we are sure you can appreciate, viruses or bacteriological infections can becontracted at any time, not only on cruise ships, but also as we go about ourdaily lives at home and at work. A cruise ship is like a large family,and when one member contracts an infection of any kind it can spreadrapidly. While Regent Seven Seas Cruises maintains rigorous standards ofsanitation and hygiene in compliance with U.S. and international regulations,unfortunately, we cannot totally prevent the possibility that passengers orcrew members may become exposed to an infectious agent during theirtravels.

At least 4 consecutive Mariner cruises on code red. Crew, who knew?

Again, to anyone currently onboard, is the ship still code red?