Deck 8 cabins on a Viking Ocean ship: noisy?

CarpeDiem2

Are cabins on Deck 8 a bit noisy with the sports deck above and/or proximity to the Explorer's Lounge? (Debating deck 8 vs deck 7.) On other cruise lines it could be a problem, but I'm not sure about Viking Cruises. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by CarpeDiem2

There is no question that Deck 7 is the much more active passageway to the Explorer's Lounge than Deck 8. The Deck 8 entrance is more like an unmarked back way in. There has been some discussion about this on previous threads, and while I do not recall anyone on either deck saying that passengers walking in the hallway were a disturbance, there was one comment from someone at the very front of the 7th floor who mentioned that carts used to bring supplies to and from Mamsen's and the Bar on the 7th floor of the Explorer's Lounge were sometimes noisy. On the other hand, Viking monitors this website. They've seen these comments, and maybe have done something about it.

Deck 9 might be one of the quietest, least-used decks on the ship. Runners will use the Promenade on Deck 2.

• Like 1

We were in 8007 last year on the Sea Venice to Barcelona. It was perfect. So good we've booked two more cruises same suite on the Sea in 2018. Yes the solitude with easy access to all upper deck activities was good. You can't go wrong. :D

Also enjoyed having to bar restocked everyday at no extra cost.

Edited by bcorre2
add info
  • Like 1

We just got off Viking Sea, stateroom 8011. There was NO noise from the sports deck. In fact we never even encountered anyone on Deck 9 the couple of times we went up. But that was a Caribbean cruise and it was HOT. The Explorer's Lounge, likewise was always a quiet place, it is not a nightclub. It was nice to have a place close to our stateroom for drinks and a forward view of the ship. Most other areas are at the opposite end. Because there are a smaller number of staterooms, there is less hallway noise. The only disadvantage is there is only one set of elevators that serve the stateroom area and it is best to go to the forward set to get to your stateroom. Otherwise you have to go outside across the Sun Deck. When we embarked, we were sent up to the 8th floor on the aft elevator and then could not figure out how to get to our room. We could not even figure out how to get out of the small elevator lobby because there were no handles on the outside deck doors. (They open automatically when you approach them and there is a button on the outside.) You'll see when you get there. It was not a big problem after we learned that it was easiest to use the forward elevators.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We were in 8019 in July. We loved it and have booked 8019 for Iceland cruise in 2019. On one occasion I was having an afternoon nap and I did hear the sounds of the shuffleboard puck (is it a puck?) being hit into the side of the play area. It was relatively minor - and it was a sea day so there were more players than usual having a bit of fun in the sun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
One disadvantage of being on deck 8 is we had to go down, at least a deck to get to all activities. My preference for future cruises would be deck 7 just forward of the elevators. That hallway is rarely used.

We’ve stayed on deck 7 on two cruises and never had a noise issue ! Plus no crowds ,the area is better than deck 8 because you didn’t have to go down a deck to get to the main service areas of the ship .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Another vote for Deck 8.  We were on Deck 8 on our Baltic cruise in July.  We are going on the West Indies Explorer in January and we are again on Deck 8.  We really like the proximity to the Explorer's Lounge -- a very quiet and relaxed atmosphere.  

We have been in 8019 (3 times) and 7002 (once).

Both excellent locations. 7002 is closer to Explorers Lounge etc, 8019 is closer to the open area above the pool (good for photo opportunities etc).

A couple of times we have heard some noise above 8019 from people playing on the sports deck (during the day), but the sports area on Deck 9 is closed at night so it is not a problem in the evening.

We have booked 7002 for South America next year, simply because it is a little less expensive. 💰

Edited by helenandfrank
error

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the Sky in 8004 a month after it's inaugural cruise and had noise problems. The Bocce ball drop was directly above. The noise was confirmed by the house keeping manager and  guest services got back to us and said only the cruise director could stop it and he wouldn't because Viking advertises it. The Hotel manager did get the CD limit it to times when most people were on excursions. I believe the  Sky predecessors did not have Bocce Ball above the cabins and on the Orion  it was on an elevated base (On the Sky the ball was dropped directly on the deck). 

Other then that deck 8 is great. No traffic,  "secret" door to explorers lounge and surprising stable for high fwd cabins

• Like 1

14 hours ago, azdrydock said:

Other then that deck 8 is great. No traffic,  "secret" door to explorers lounge and surprising stable for high fwd cabins

We stayed in 8001 in July for the Baltic Cruise on Sky.  The "secret door" is wonderful isn't it?  It's as though the top floor of the Explorer's Lounge is part of your living room.  We have 2 cruises coming up and we have booked 8001 for both.

You are right that it is surprisingly stable for a high forward cabin.  I have a tendency towards motion sickness and we were more than a little concerned after booking our first ocean cruise (again, July)  But I never felt even a bit nauseous.  Of course, it could have been the Meclizine.  😊

• Like 1