Rotterdam refurbishment

Cruizer Bill

We boarded the Rotterdam this afternoon and these are our first observations:

The entire outside of the ship has been repainted and looks great

New carpet in all the hallways and public areas, not in the cabins

In the hallways next to each elevator is a new piece of carpet with the ship’s silhouette with FORWARD and an arrow showing which way to the bow, Very nice feature!

The Lido looks nice! New carpet, new tabletops, quite a bit of new Corian on the work surfaces and new vinyl on many of the walls. Very nice improvement!

The elevators have been re-done with new carpets, new railings new fabric on the walls, they really shine now, New carpets with the day of the week.

The cabins have new flat panel TV sets and a pair of USB ports on the desk - not by the bed stands.

There is a brand new wood dance floor in the Crows Nest and the furniture has been rearranged. Not sure if BBKing band will play here now or not. It looks much cleaner and nicer, some new tables and chairs. Great looking place

All the decks have been deep cleaned or replaced, they look great!

All for now, will add more as we continue our cruise.. No damage to Tampa or the Terminalk at all!

Have none of the cabins been redecorated, to your knowledge? We will be on the Amsterdam next year for the Grand Asia, and that ship is due for refurbishment in May. I am curious if the Vista suite cabins will be redone or will they remain the same tired color scheme.

We are in a regular ocean view and it has not been redecorated except for some new pillows and a coverlet on the bed. I heard the Lanai cabins have some redecorating but have heard from the suites yet. I will ask around.

Lots of new furniture in the Crows Nest.

Thank you for the good news.

When you have time, please notice if the showroom balcony view is still obscured by a black box protruding from the balcony. Starboard, maybe port side too.

I had asked HAL to at least lower the thing six inches or so, making its bottom flush with the lower ceiling. Views from one or two starboard balcony seats were ruined.

Also, how do the aft Main Dining Room window frames look now, especially at the bottom?

We were onboard in August.

Thanks,

Barbara

Thank you for the good news.

When you have time, please notice if the showroom balcony view is still obscured by a black box protruding from the balcony. Starboard, maybe port side too.

I had asked HAL to at least lower the thing six inches or so, making its bottom flush with the lower ceiling. Views from one or two starboard balcony seats were ruined.

Also, how do the aft Main Dining Room window frames look now, especially at the bottom?

We were onboard in August.

Thanks,

Barbara

Barbara,

I just checked out the showroom and they are still there. They are two projectors used in some of the shows.

Now, some good news, they have re-upholstered the seats and they feel GREAT now.

Also, some new big chairs in the library that are fantastic. They are re-building the coffee bar in the Explorations Cafe and it is not done yet.

They are also working on the rear of the Lido deck. It is not done yer. There are two nice hot tubs there.

Thank you, Bill, for checking. I thought that I had suggested such a simple fix for the obtrusive projectors. They were not there in previous years.

Maybe HAL never even read my cruise review?

So glad that the Library is being respected.

Do enjoy your cruise on such a beautiful ship.

Barbara

Thanks for the intel on the refurbishment of what once was one of my favorite ships.

Please tell me, can you watch TV from the couch in the outside cabin? I am presuming the inside cabins will have the same arrangement.

And, are there electric outlets at the nightstands? I know on some ships USB ports were added there, but the desperately needed outlets were not.

We are in a regular ocean view and it has not been redecorated except for some new pillows and a coverlet on the bed. I heard the Lanai cabins have some redecorating but have heard from the suites yet. I will ask around.

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

We had an excellent turnout for our Meet and Greet today. We’d 60 people signed uo and 50 people were at the M&G. Amazingly, the HOTEL MANAGER showed up! We were delayed by 3 hours the day before boarding the ship. This was due to a large number of foreign national who were on board working on the ship from the Bahamas and a very small staff of Customs agents. He also said the bar on the Explorations cafe is unfinished because they are waiting for a brand new high-end espresso machine from Italy. Should be an awesome machine when it is installed

I want to report that the ship is not nearly full. There are maybe 1000 passengers on board. I think it is because of the recent hurricane and the damage it created and possibly because the ship just got out of dry dock. I am happy to report that the service is SUPERB because the passenger to staff ratio is so low!

Bill hopefully when you can you'l post LOTS of pictures of the refurbishments :) I'm glad to hear they seem to have given her a major refresh.

I am booked on the Zaandam for next year and am watching the refurbs closely to know what to expect in terms of changes. So far it sounds as if the EXC concept as introduced on the Westerdam will not be rolled out the R Class ships and that the crows Nest and Explorations Cafe/Library areas will emerge relatively intact!

There is a flurry of activity on the aft end of the Lido deck. When we left Tampa yesterday, there was supposed to be a Sail Away party and it did no happen because it was not finished. Well, I bet there are 40 workers out there now finishing up the back end with a brand new shallow pool linking two hot tubs. I have never seen so many workers working so hard in one place on a cruise, They have a 5:30 PM deadline to meet and they are going to do it! I willl write back again when we see the new area.