Timeline for Explorer II / 2 or whatever they settle on?

UUNetBill

Just curious if anyone has any information on the timeline for the build of the next Explorer-class ship? All I've heard is a tentative in-service date of sometime in 2020. Given that Explorer ran about 18 months from keel laying to in-service, we should be getting fairly close to some sort of timeline announcement, especially if Regent is looking for an early 2020 in-service date.

Anyone have any facts/rumors/guesses on this?

Aren't we supposed to know the name of the new ship soon? Wasn't there a big hoopla on naming it? When do we find out the name?

Just checked the website - the page says "Winners will be announced November 15, 2017."

We'll see...

I think the name should be simply "The Ship!" If it is as grand as they think it will be and takes into account the recent Explorer grandeur then it ought to merit the name "The Ship!"

Elvis was "The King", Bruce "The Boss" then lets see if the new ship will live up to a name like "The Ship!"

I'm sure that one of my suggested names will be the choice (see list below).

I am equally sure that the same name will have been submitted by many others since there is quite a "family" pattern for the ship names (so far...I suppose they could head off in a totally new direction). At that point it becomes a lottery.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you submitted one or more of the following:

Adventurer

Traveler

Pathfinder

Globetrotter

Venturer

Journeyer

Seafarer (my personal favorite)

Concerning name for new ship:

Back in March-April while aboard Explorer enroute from Miami to Venice, the Cruise Director "floated" the proposition that search was on for naming of that 2020 ship.

Well, of course, I opined the perfect name-- "Terminator". This brainstorm has been mentioned in earlier CC Threads.

Context was Regent's CEO being onboard during the Barcelona-Venice segment of that 25th Year Anniversary celebration, and meeting with guests. Emphasis was corporate strategy to obtain and maintain loyalty from first-time cruisers [there were very-few of these on that particular Anniversary cruise] continually stressing importance to have such clients return, again and again. In other words, be back.

Well, what a better "vessel" to convey this message than Arnold ("Terminator I and II") S. Certainly understood Regent would not be able to employ an European Princess to be at the launch and break the bottle of bubbly. No, it would be Arnold. His remarks would include, of course, the line--"I'll be Back!"

The Cruise Director had the good sense to mention my concept one evening in the Theater prior to introducing the CEO for a "Public Forum" opportunity. At that point, my dear wife tried to hide under a balcony table. No, I stood up to acknowledge ownership. Audience reaction was, shall we say, mixed. Well, everyone is a critic.

Actually, Sue and I have submitted a serious nomination, which is: Seven Seas Ambassador.

Await results.

Hopefully, see some of you during several Regent cruises we have scheduled for 2018--including Navigator Los Angeles-New York in June.

GOARMY!

Actually, Sue and I have submitted a serious nomination, which is: Seven Seas Ambassador.

GOARMY!

Great name! If you come across someone obnoxious onboard; you can truthfully say "there is an ass in the middle of the ship."

Marc

Nope, I didn't see an email (which isn't to say I didn't get one, but it may have hit a junk filter somewhere) but I already had the date marked on my calendar. :D

And I hope everyone doesn't think they won, because I will. It's a foregone conclusion. Or it would be in a perfect world.

Bill, did you get the email that the new name will be revealed tomorrow? Is everyone thinking they won?

I got that email and, no, I don't think I won. Like I said earlier, even if one of the names I suggested is chosen, I imagine there were many, many duplicates.

I'd think that the winner would already have been contacted.

I'm sure that one of my suggested names will be the choice (see list below).

I am equally sure that the same name will have been submitted by many others since there is quite a "family" pattern for the ship names (so far...I suppose they could head off in a totally new direction). At that point it becomes a lottery.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you submitted one or more of the following:

Adventurer

Traveler

Pathfinder

Globetrotter

Venturer

Journeyer

Seafarer (my personal favorite)

Scott, I like 'Seafarer' as well, but my 'official' submission was 'Sojourner' - although 'Shippy McShipface' is still my personal favorite whether it meets Regent's requirements or not...

Guess we'll find out later today.

They are going to announce it—at least for those of us onboard Explorer—at tonight’s show.

So if Explorer is in Monte Carlo and the show is at 9:30 (I'm guessing) the announcement won't be made until sometime after 3:30 PM Eastern Time. Not that I'm waiting or anything. ;p

Currently on the Navigator and we were informed that the announcement will be made immediately after the Captains noontime update. Regent came aboard the Navigator while it was in Miami to record the announcement.

We did set our clocks one hour forward after sailing from Miami, so that would be just past 11am EST.

New ship will be named Splendor and launched Q1 2020. Congrats to all the announced winners!

Well, that breaks the "family" name convention of the ships as things that go some where or do something. Now it's about the ornateness of the ship. Next ship will be the "Grandeur"? Very Royal Caribbean.

Rather disappointed.