New Springhill Suites (and dining in area) in San Diego - near pier.

DaveOKC

I just ran across a great deal for the new Springhill Suites in San Diego, located on Pacific Hwy, south of Ash St.

Has anyone stayed here (I know it is a new hotel)? If so, questions:

1. Does it have easy access to the pier (we used to love the Holiday Inn for this) - and how do you get there?

2. Where would you dine the night before? I was thinking of someplace in Little Italy, but am open to suggestions. I would like something reasonable pricewise, not cheap but also not real expensive.

Sorry to bother everyone again (I just asked about the Marriott Marina last week) but I got a great deal and HAD to change reservations.

Little Italy is fun to walk around with a ton of choices.

Our favorites are Davanti Enoteca (on the patio, shareable plates) and Monello (free tapas with happy hour, and then you can share a pasta.)

Edited by LynnSD

Dave,

I just looked at a map, and your hotel is actually closer to Broadway than Ash. As I recall, you've stayed at the Hampton Inn on Pacific Hwy. before. If you're wanting to walk over to the port (that's what I do), I would just follow the same route you use from the Hampton Inn.

I'm cruising out of SD in February, and I'm staying at the Hampton pre-cruise, but the Hilton Garden Inn post-cruise. The HGI is a little further north on Pacific Hwy.

Roz

Dave,

I just looked at a map, and your hotel is actually closer to Broadway than Ash. As I recall, you've stayed at the Hampton Inn on Pacific Hwy. before. If you're wanting to walk over to the port (that's what I do), I would just follow the same route you use from the Hampton Inn.

I'm cruising out of SD in February, and I'm staying at the Hampton pre-cruise, but the Hilton Garden Inn post-cruise. The HGI is a little further north on Pacific Hwy.

Roz

I looked at the aerial map (Google) and it seems that I might be able to short cut right to the ship (guessing less than 200 yards). I would go just past the Wyndam tower section. Of course, I will not know until I get there.

Easy walk from there to Little Italy. One of my favorites is The Indigo Grill (India & Cedar). One of the new "hot" restaurants is Ironside Fish & Oyster one more block north. Lots of new restaurants in this area, especially along India but now a few being put in along Kettner as well.

Just be aware of the big construction project taking place between Harbor Dr. and the Amtrak station along Broadway (in the old cruise ship parking lot) just south of your hotel as this whole area is fenced off, and there may be some noise during the daytime hours.

For more informal dining, I can recommend the Carnitas Snack Shack right on the Embarcadero near the Broadway cruise ship pier.

Any thoughts on BW Palms on Shelter Island for 2 nt stay ?! Can we rent car at pier ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live in San Diego and that BW is a hidden gem! I love shelter island. So wonderful for walking and the views are some of the best. Note you are away from the hustle and bustle of downtown but if you are up for a walk try Mitch’s for the locals fav seafood. Otherwise Humphrey’s has a great happy hour and often live music.

There are no car rentals on the pier. If you really need a car, get one at the airport. Really though Uber’s are a plenty. Enjoy!

Thank you sdairgirl ! We had wanted to tour the Midway, perhaps take hop on hop off , and go to Gaslamp , little Italy. Is this doable and reasonable without a vehicle ?

Depends on if you are ok with uber/taxis. It’s about a 3 mile ride from shelter island to midway/downtown. Midway to gaslamp is about a 20 min walk. Do yourself a favor and don’t sue the dangerous and overpriced pedicabs. Uber/Lyft is your best bet.

PS- midway is great! I might also suggest venture a few blocks off 5th. Better food less $$. Little Italy is amazing. Can’t go wrong.

Depends on if you are ok with uber/taxis. It’s about a 3 mile ride from shelter island to midway/downtown. Midway to gaslamp is about a 20 min walk. Do yourself a favor and don’t use the dangerous and overpriced pedicabs. Uber/Lyft is your best bet. Very reasonable as long as it’s not surge pricing.

PS- midway is great! I might also suggest venture a few blocks off 5th. Better food less $$. Little Italy is amazing. Can’t go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...