Disaster....what would you do?

gepgelmik

I knew even before going on my first cruise that I’d love it.So last October I booked a cruise on the Anthem of the Seas. Two months later, my family and I had a great time on our ten day holiday trip.

I’ve been anticipating my November 18th, 2017 return to Anthem for months, and three things make it special. I’ve booked a super studio with an extra large balcony, I’ve completed my doctorate, and this time I’m traveling solo. So with a week to embarkation, you can imagine all the prep I had to do.

Friday morning i woke up with pain in my left shoulder, my stomach and my back. When I inhaled, the pain intensified. The pain tapered off during the day. Saturday night I was packing when pain slammed into my lower back. I knew it was muscle spasms so I took pain killers, but within an hour, intense crushing pain had spread to my stomach and wrapped like a vise around my upper abdomen. At 2am, shaking and sweating, I hobbled into the ER. I wasn’t having a heart attack, so for hours I was given medication to numb my stomach, followed by three other painkillers, and a sonogram. Finally, I was admitted to a room, pumped full of narcotics and anti nausea, and sent off for hours of testing. They finally confirmed a diagnosis of gallstones, and my gall bladder has to come out.

My surgery isn’t until Tuesday evening. I need to drive seven hours to New Jersey, alone, on Friday. I can’t lift anything for six weeks or so. To my surprise, the doctor encouraged me to go on the trip....he said he would go if he was in that situation.

So....I have trip insurance and could get my money back, but so many stars had to align for this trip to happen, I’m hesitant to cancel. But with me traveling alone there’s so many things to consider. My carry on bag, swimming, my shore excursions, the long drive...

Has anyone had something like this happen to them? Any advice? What would you do?

Sent from my iPad

I can't relate and haven't been any where near this situation but I wonder...if you DON'T go what will life look like for that week?

Who is cooking for you, who is cleaning up after you, who is making your bed etc. There will be people to help carry bags (bring tip money). It will be a hassle and stressful to get to the ship/your room. But, once there life should be pretty easy, no? If the doctor seems to think it is a good idea perhaps it is? You likely won't be doing any fancy moves on the ship but it could be the ultimate lazy, recovery week.

All that said, what are the odds of a complication and does medical coverage cover it after a surgery? I have no clue.

I am in almost the same situation. I was supposed to have mine removed thursday the 9th but it got rescheduled to Dec 7th. I am sailing on Harmony next Saturday. I am going to be careful with what I eat. I have meds with me in case I have an attack. The one difference is I will have my daughter and some friends with me. The other day I felt an attack coming on but was able to stop it by drinking 8 tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar. Do a search on apple cider vinegar - it will pull up the thread from the other day. So my suggestion is to wait until after the cruise for the surgery. Have you had a hida scan?

Kathy

I knew even before going on my first cruise that I’d love it.So last October I booked a cruise on the Anthem of the Seas. Two months later, my family and I had a great time on our ten day holiday trip.

I’ve been anticipating my November 18th, 2017 return to Anthem for months, and three things make it special. I’ve booked a super studio with an extra large balcony, I’ve completed my doctorate, and this time I’m traveling solo. So with a week to embarkation, you can imagine all the prep I had to do.

Friday morning i woke up with pain in my left shoulder, my stomach and my back. When I inhaled, the pain intensified. The pain tapered off during the day. Saturday night I was packing when pain slammed into my lower back. I knew it was muscle spasms so I took pain killers, but within an hour, intense crushing pain had spread to my stomach and wrapped like a vise around my upper abdomen. At 2am, shaking and sweating, I hobbled into the ER. I wasn’t having a heart attack, so for hours I was given medication to numb my stomach, followed by three other painkillers, and a sonogram. Finally, I was admitted to a room, pumped full of narcotics and anti nausea, and sent off for hours of testing. They finally confirmed a diagnosis of gallstones, and my gall bladder has to come out.

My surgery isn’t until Tuesday evening. I need to drive seven hours to New Jersey, alone, on Friday. I can’t lift anything for six weeks or so. To my surprise, the doctor encouraged me to go on the trip....he said he would go if he was in that situation.

So....I have trip insurance and could get my money back, but so many stars had to align for this trip to happen, I’m hesitant to cancel. But with me traveling alone there’s so many things to consider. My carry on bag, swimming, my shore excursions, the long drive...

Has anyone had something like this happen to them? Any advice? What would you do?

Sent from my iPad

I have had my gallbladder out. It was outpatient surgery and after two days of rest I was back to normal. I would take the cruise and use it as a relaxation cruise.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

It depends on whether you have any complications and how your recovery goes. I had my gallbladder removed this past July and was out of work for a week - working from home - but had a very easy recovery and could've gone back earlier. I had surgery on a Friday and was out grocery shopping on Sunday with my husband. I was climbing the walls at home by Tuesday.

If your doctor recommends you go - and you trust your dr - go and take it easy.

I would've preferred to recuperate on a cruise!

I am in almost the same situation. I was supposed to have mine removed thursday the 9th but it got rescheduled to Dec 7th. I am sailing on Harmony next Saturday. I am going to be careful with what I eat. I have meds with me in case I have an attack. The one difference is I will have my daughter and some friends with me. The other day I felt an attack coming on but was able to stop it by drinking 8 tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar. Do a search on apple cider vinegar - it will pull up the thread from the other day. So my suggestion is to wait until after the cruise for the surgery. Have you had a hida scan?

Kathy

Kathy, I had the HIDA scan today. To answer your other questions, he said no lifting of 25 lbs or more for weeks. Should be a laparoscopic removal barring any complications. And incredibly, the attack that sent me to the ER was the first one ever.

Kathy, I had the HIDA scan today.

Did it hurt? Mine didn't hurt. Doctor said my gallbladder wasn't performing as well as it should but it was still working some of the time. Too bad we are not on the same sailing -we could watch out for each other.

I wouldn't take the trip. Actually, I'm surprised your doctor is ok with you going. 3 days is nothing in terms of healing time even if it is a laparoscopic surgery.

Beyond that so questions I'd ask myself: have you ever had abdominal surgery, or any surgery? How well do you tolerate pain? I remember being pretty uncomfortable for a few days after mine, nothing terrible but nothing I'd want to waste a vacation dealing with either. I also know I have a high pain tolerance, my experience isn't going to be yours.

I'd also be worried about complications after surgery. We all hope they don't happen, but you don't want that happening on the boat.

I can't relate and haven't been any where near this situation but I wonder...if you DON'T go what will life look like for that week?

Who is cooking for you, who is cleaning up after you, who is making your bed etc. There will be people to help carry bags (bring tip money). It will be a hassle and stressful to get to the ship/your room. But, once there life should be pretty easy, no? If the doctor seems to think it is a good idea perhaps it is? You likely won't be doing any fancy moves on the ship but it could be the ultimate lazy, recovery week.

All that said, what are the odds of a complication and does medical coverage cover it after a surgery? I have no clue.

Yeah, this along my thinking right now. I’m considering cancelling all excursions and drastically reducing the stuff I’d planned on taking. Complications he mentioned would result from lifting (hernia) and failing to take breaks while driving (blood clots).

Had my gall bladder removed laparoscopicly several years ago and recovered quickly. In you place though would likely cancel the cruise. You'll still be on meds so might not be able to drink and with an open wound would think twice about water activities. Check with your doctor. Since you have insurance why not postpone the trip until you're fully recovered.

Oh yeah, there are also rumblings about a noro outbreak on Anthem.

Did it hurt? Mine didn't hurt. Doctor said my gallbladder wasn't performing as well as it should but it was still working some of the time. Too bad we are not on the same sailing -we could watch out for each other.

The ultrasound (sonogram?) felt like I was being stabbed, but the scan was just tedious...I had to do it three times.

Had my gall bladder removed laparoscopicly several years ago and recovered quickly. In you place though would likely cancel the cruise. You'll still be on meds so might not be able to drink and with an open wound would think twice about water activities. Check with your doctor. Since you have insurance why not postpone the trip until you're fully recovered.

Oh yeah, there are also rumblings about a noro outbreak on Anthem.

I don’t like the taste of alcohol, and never drink, so that’s one less worry.

Postponing is tough for me because I have very little vacation time. I can only really go during thanksgiving or Christmas breaks. Booking over a year out and getting the studio plus the dates made this itinerary perfect.

Also my student loans come due in January...this might be my last vacation for some time.

Kathy

Rescheduling isn’t something the doctor will allow me to do. I think because the attack was so severe. I’m not leaving this hospital with a gallbladder.

I would not cancel it yet. If possible I would wait to see how you feel Thursday night or Friday morning. If you feel up to the drive, then I would say go for it. I think I would do sail in your situation if I did not have complications and could manage to get to NJ and not further injure myself.

Another thought - would it be possible for you to take a train from Cleveland? Might be more comfortable for you...

Rescheduling isn’t something the doctor will allow me to do. I think because the attack was so severe. I’m not leaving this hospital with a gallbladder.

Get a second opinion. When I had the hida scan done my understanding was they will keep trying to make your gallbladder angry. The sooner they make it angry, the sooner the test is over. They only had to one round on me. So if it took them a few rounds to make yours angry then maybe it is still functioning. Definitely get a second opinion. Ask one of the nurses for the name of another doctor. The nurses always know the best ones. Good luck!

Kathy

Relax and enjoy your cruise... minus your gallbladder. (I guess your HIDA ejection fx was less than 35%) While everyone is a little different, it's a relatively easy procedure.

Get help putting your luggage in your car. Make a few stops along the way (Check out the Susquehanna River on I-80) Drive up to the terminal, and have the porter take your luggage. From there proceed to the parking garage. When you return from your cruise have a porter take your luggage to your car.

Enjoy your cruise

If this is your first attack I personally would wait to have it after the cruise but your choice . I went 10 years with cholecystitis before having it removed . I would go months without Issues. While the surgery is certainly routine and an easy recovery I did have a lot of pain under my rib and couldn’t stand up straight for 3 weeks. My doctor said it was because she probably was jabbing around under my ribs and caused some bruising. Anyways your choice but you will probably be fine .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP, first of all I'm so sorry for your pain and of course for the timing of this situation. We all look forward to our vacation and now yours is in jeopardy. Personally, I find travelling when I am completely healthy can be stressful and tiring - I can't imagine trying to do it post-surgery. What about that long drive, and lifting your suitcase? I know what you said about limited vacation time, but if it was me, I would cancel and re-book for a time when I was much better equipped to deal with all of it.

Take care.

22 yrs ago, almost to the day, I had my gall bladder removed by laparoscopic surgery, 5 weeks after a c-section. I was kept in the hospital for two nights due to I was still post-partum, but could have gone home the afternoon following that morning's surgery. If you can get out of driving, I would recommend that. I personally would go on the cruise as long as the Dr. says it is ok. Stay out of the water until incisions fully heal. Watch what you eat until your system acclimates to not having a gall-bladder. Food may "process" differently.

My opinion is if you have the surgery, and embark on the cruise, you are going to be worried about each and every little twinge or spasm you feel while on board. Driving for seven hours after any type of gastro abdominal surgery puts pressure on the gut. Check with your insurance to see if they would even cover you should you develop an issue (usually an infection from the surgery) while on the cruise - I believe the waiting period could be four weeks to be eligible for your insurance to cover you. Get the insurer to put it in writing that you will be insured. Otherwise, cancel, take the money and plan for another one.