So what's the best thing you've eaten on a Holland America cruise?

jeepers13

I'll start with one word: dessert. I loved them all. In the main dining room, for sure, but so many yummy little plates at the buffet. Never had a pavlolva before and I thought it was divine. I won't tell you how many I had on our last cruise. It was a lot.

Plus, I've never been on a cruise with hand-dipped ice cream before. It's always just been soft serve on the pool deck. That was a nice touch.

Can't wait till March!

My all-time favorite was the BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH HUCKLEBERRIES soup from the original Le Cirque menu. Sadly it is no longer available, as the "Evening at Le Cirque" is no longer offered on HAL cruises. So my current favorite is the escargot in the MDR.

Another "no longer available" item.....actually two! The Steak Diane in the Pinnacle Grill was to absolutely DIE for. I was lucky enough to enjoy it on 2 different cruises. Sadly, it's now a thing of the past. And ALSO in the Pinnacle Grill, on a memorable Mexico Riviera cruise quite a few years ago, I ordered the Thai Chicken soup for my starter.............and loved it so much that I re-ordered it for my dessert. Sublime!

Edited by CruiseMGM
spell check

Love the bread pudding! However, there was something lacking when we were on Koningsdam. The bread pudding I had on Eurodam was amazing and the sauce utterly delicious, too! The one on Koningsdam was okay, but just not the same. We also love, love the muesli on HAL. We have it everyday for breakfast.

My all-time favorite was the BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH HUCKLEBERRIES soup from the original Le Cirque menu. Sadly it is no longer available, as the "Evening at Le Cirque" is no longer offered on HAL cruises. So my current favorite is the escargot in the MDR.

Most of my HAL favorite foods are no longer served. Dover sole in MDR for dinn er on Dutch Nigt h thtg no longer exists, snickerdooddle pie, Noerthwestt clam chowder in Pinnacle, French Onion Soup in Pinnacle i do not eat it but if my DH was ssttill here he would say prime rib, lean and medium rare on em barkation night. I used to enjoy stuffed duck with appricot glaze.

i usecx to like some of HAL's hom made iced ceam butt itt is now commercially b ought.

Most of my HAL favorite foods are no longer served. Dover sole in MDR for dinn er on Dutch Nigh that no long exists, snickerdooddle pie, Northwstt clam chowder in Pinnacle, French Onion Soup in Pinnacle i do not eat it but if my DH was sttill here he would say prime rib, lean and medium rare on em barkation night. I used to like some of HAL's hom made iced ceam but it is now commercially b ought. Ahh, bami goreng........... I miss that. I don't care for Nasi goreng as that is rice which I don't eat.

Most of my HAL favorite foods are no longer served. Dover sole in MDR for dinn er on Dutch Nigh that no longer exists, snickerdooddle pie, Northwestt clam chowder in Pinnacle, French Onion Soup in Pinnacle i do not eat it but if my DH was sttill here he would say prime rib, lean and medium rare on em barkation night. I used to like some of HAL's hom made ice ceam but it is now commercially b ought. Ahh, bami goreng........... I miss that. I don't care for Nasi goreng as that is rice which I don't eat.

Bami Goreng was sooo good. :) IMO

Most of my HAL favorite foods are no longer served. Dover sole in MDR for dinn er on Dutch Nigt h that no longer exists, snickerdooddle pie, Noerthwestt clam chowder in Pinnacle, French Onion Soup in Pinnacle i do not eat it but if my DH was ssttill here he would say prime rib, lean and medium rare on em barkation night. I used to enjoy stuffed quail with apricot glaze.

i used to like some of HAL's home made ice ceam butt it is now commercially b ought.

Former Exec Chef Mike Mahn, now, Hotel Director made the very best calves liver with onions. It was soooo good. :) We ate calves liver in the world famous, Venice Restraurant, , Harry's Bar and C hef Mike's was equally as good. ;)

Edited by sail7seas

Most of my HAL favorite foods are no longer served. Dover sole in MDR for dinn er on Dutch Nigt h thtg no longer exists, snickerdooddle pie, Noerthwestt clam chowder in Pinnacle, French Onion Soup in Pinnacle i do not eat it but if my DH was ssttill here he would say prime rib, lean and medium rare on em barkation night. I used to enjoy stuffed duck with appricot glaze.

i usecx to like some of HAL's hom made iced ceam butt itt is now commercially b ought.

A lot of your favourite foods are still served.

I still get Dover Sole in the MDR, snicker pie, French Onion soup in the PG.

Duck is still on the Menu. Prime rib is sometimes on the 2nd night instead of embarkation night but it is there.

I post my menus on my Live threads so they are there for all to see ;)

Bread pudding! It is the best. I don't like it when they add all the junk to it (chocolate chips, bananas etc) I just like the original with a lot of sauce.

+!

Add me to the 'no junk added' bread pudding appreciation society!:hearteyes:

A lot of your favourite foods are still served.

I still get Dover Sole in the MDR, snicker pie, French Onion soup in the PG.

Duck is still on the Menu. Prime rib is sometimes on the 2nd night instead of embarkation night but it is there.

I post my menus on my Live threads so they are there for all to see ;)

I We could nnot eat our steaks and didnt even go for the free Mariners dinner to which I was entitlted as I preferred to waste it than to waste another nigtht of our crruise putting up with one of the worrst run restraurants in which I everr dined. That manager was VERY Bad as was our food. D When someone postss a menu, that is the menu they had on that ship t hat day but no guarantee that is the menu for all ships all cruises.

Again as others have said some of their favorites are no longer😞

Mine was VEAL CHOP AND FRENCH ONION SOUP in the Pinnacle Grille.

Denise:)

I was a creature of habit and always got the same thing in the Pinnacle. We did a b2b on Nieuw Amsterdam and had 4 days in there so I thought I would change it up. Discovered the veal chop and it was seriously life changing. After 1 or 2 more cruises it was off the menu. It was so good that if they brought it back I would even pay a few extra bucks for it.

French Onion soup a lot of people think I'm weird. The one in the mdr and room service (same thing) is really, really good. The one in the PG... not a fan

Luckily, since then Tamarind and Sel de Mer have been experienced and truly just about anything on either menu is excellent. For apps, steak tartare and foie gras, duck for the entree... YUM!

Cioppino in the PG is delicious if one likes seafood. The croissants at breakfast, not the chocolate variety, are delicious as well. Guava Juice in the morning at the Lido is something that I cannot obtain locally. I love it! And, I wish it would be available when I dine in the MDR for Breakfast.

The Dive-In Sandwich offerings that I have tried are all excellent; my favorite is the Cannonball.

And. the addition of the new Pizza station on some ships seems to be producing an excellent product regardless of what the type ordered.

I was a creature of habit and always got the same thing in the Pinnacle. We did a b2b on Nieuw Amsterdam and had 4 days in there so I thought I would change it up. Discovered the veal chop and it was seriously life changing. After 1 or 2 more cruises it was off the menu. It was so good that if they brought it back I would even pay a few extra bucks for it.

French Onion soup a lot of people think I'm weird. The one in the mdr and room service (same thing) is really, really good. The one in the PG... not a fan

Luckily, since then Tamarind and Sel de Mer have been experienced and truly just about anything on either menu is excellent. For apps, steak tartare and foie gras, duck for the entree... YUM!

I really liked the french onion soup they pre viously served in Pinnacle but not the one served in MDR> There is never a hint of melted cheese on top of mDR onion soup but it was loaded with salt.

I We could nnot eat our steaks and didnt even go for the free Mariners dinner to which I was entitlted as I preferred to waste it than to waste another nigtht of our crruise putting up with one of the worrst run restraurants in which I everr dined. That manager was VERY Bad as was our food. D When someone postss a menu, that is the menu they had on that ship t hat day but no guarantee that is the menu for all ships all cruises.

Which ship and are you talking about the MDR or PG?