Princess Check-in @ The Pier (what’s your MO?)

need2cruisesoon

There's always the "crowded day at Vancouver" version: sit in a crowded room for two hours waiting to check in, then another hour in the security line.

Let's just say I'm not in a hurry to do a one-day sailing out of Vancouver again any time soon...

We usually book longer cruises and arrive a couple of days early. So, "getting started" to us isn't as important as avoiding waiting a while to board. Even though we're eligible for preferred boarding, we still dislike waiting around. We'll take a late checkout from our hotel and saunter over to the pier around 1:30PM to 2:30PM depending on how late boarding goes. We typically breeze right through check-in and initial boarding. No need to rush to the MDR (it's closed anyway) or the buffet although hitting Crooners or an on-deck bar is a great way to kick off the cruise.

1) Get a late checkout from the hotel

2) Go to lunch at a local restaurant. (Yes, I can afford to buy a lunch instead of lunch on the ship)

3) If I know someone at the pier (Crew, Passenger, Port Staff), call them to see if boarding is on time.

4) Walk straight onto the ship around 2;30 pm without issue. Go later, if there is a problem with boarding.

I like to get on the ship as early as possible. We try to arrive around 10:30am. It's no big deal sitting in the terminal for a bit. That's part of the excitement. When they start calling out boarding numbers I feel that the cruise has really begun.

I'm with NeverBeen. I don't worry about grabbing lunch on board.

I get to the pier around 2 p.m., go straight to the check in, go through security, board right away. I'm on board in plenty of time to go to the Safety At Sea Drill. Some day I'll take the time to grab a hot dog to go with the Mustard Drill. (Sorry, I can never resist!)

We have done both, but our preference is early. We don't enjoy sitting around the hotel until the noon checkout time. Rather be on the move and wait at the pier. We don't find it difficult. We are on board pretty quickly once boarding begins. We unpack our carry ons, usually grab something at the International Cafe or by the pool. Once our checked luggage arrives we unpack and we're set.

Early!!

We like to start enjoying the ship as soon as possible!! Every minute counts for us :) We start at the international cafe, drop our carry ons, then head for the pool! By the time muster comes we've relaxed some and started to unwind and thaw out as we usually travel during the kids' March Break and its cold at home!

As there are 4 of us, I like to start unpacking before dinner and getting on early means our luggage usually arrives very early to allow me to start the process. Its day 1 of our vacation! We don't want to delay the start any longer than necessary!:D

When departing out of San Pedro we like to get to the terminal around 10:45. A quick check in and then sit and chat in anticipation of the fun that's about an hour away. We have made it a tradition to go to the MDR lunch and it is something that we look forward to. 30 days until we leave for Vancouver for our next cruise - can hardly wait. Especially since the Star is the only ship in port on embarkation day!

;p

Anytime before 4 o'clock is a good idea as far as I am concerned. If I get there early I relax and talk with people in the terminal knowing that nothing terrible happened to delay our arrival and that eventually we'll get on board.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Forums mobile app

Certainly wouldn't want to try that rule at Seattle where the Alaska cruises almost always depart at 4pm!!! :o But one thing is for sure...when talking about arrival at the pier, it's much, much better to be 2 hours early than 5 minutes late. ;p

Tom

When at Port Everglades we stay in a nearby hotel the night before. (Embassy for example) Eat the included breakfast and normal 11:00 check out, takes about 30 minutes to get your luggage down to the lobby, find an Uber or Taxi (forget about the hotel shuttle) and physically get to the port.

The line is usually fairly long (preferred or not) but it goes quickly for preferred once you hit the door, maybe 30 minutes to go through the line and check in.

Unless boarding is delayed you usually walk right on or wait a few minutes at most. The preferred boarding lounge is nothing special and we would rather spend our time having a leisurely breakfast at the hotel.

Walk to the cabin, load the safe and head to the MDR for lunch and a beer. So on board and eating in about an hour. Return to the cabin and unpack the luggage which is usually there by the time we finish with lunch.