Celebrity or Princess

juliet

I have heard X's food has gone downhill over the years, but then posters are saying Princess has slipped as well. I am soon to find out more after not cruising for two years. Since you only have one cruise with X and therefore have not built up any loyalty, why not try Princess and see what you think for yourself? Otherwise, I'd look at itinerary offerings and select based on that. Or why not book a B2B involving one cruise on each, if time and pocketbook allow?

I do know that I would be very unhappy with X's wine policies (limited carry-on and high corkage fee). As a customer with Elite status in sight after our next trip, I plan to stick with Princess at least until that threshold is made and then I might look around elsewhere, but it looks like you can play the field a bit and decide where to put your loyalty. We cruised X three times before sticking with Princess. Not unhappy about that call.

if you are satisfied with inedible food stick with Celebrity

Geez. If that were true thousands of people would be starving to death every week.:rolleyes:

I have done two Celebrity cruises, both on the Summit and I found the food good to outstanding.

They each have their good points and we've found that Celebrity is a good second choice for us. IME, Celebrity's food is very good; not quite as good as Princess' but close. Their Solstice ships are very, very beautiful and all of their balcony cabins come with a sofa bed - not just a chair - as in the majority of Princess' reg. balcony cabins.

Celebrity has very sociable officers if that's important to you and has more of a hip vibe than Princess in our experience. If you go with them, make sure you watch, or participate in, the silent disco. Tons of fun! What we appreciate the most with Princess is the consistently excellent service, clean ships and a welcoming feel. I'd recommend you try either the Royal or Regal Princess to start since they are the most similar to Celebrity's Solstice Class (although bigger and about 700 more passengers).

Celebrity - first time I ate salmon made from sawdust - turned back seven dinners in seven days - lost about 5 pounds - he only salvation was we had 14 days on Princess right after disembarkation from the celebrity - I guess food quality is subjective and this is my subjective opinion

Gee, we left Princess for Celebrity because we thought the food on Celebrity was loads better than Princess. I will agree with others that the food in the MDR on X has slipped. But I’ve heard the same about Princess. We are booked on the 12/28 Regal Princess cruise because we like the itinerary and also have heard rave reviews about this ship. We also cruise Oceania. I will make sure to post my review of the Regal after we return in January. I hope she lives up to my expectations after reading these boards. And yes food is subjective and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but wow sending back 7 meals makes me wonder where you’re from elfinmagic?

We've been on Celebrity one and never on Princess ships. Thinking of one or the other going to the Caribbean. Is there a big difference?

Juliet,

Just my opinion. I've been on one Celebrity ship, during our Alaskan cruise. I enjoyed my experience. I'm not a person I would turn to for food recommendations (my palate is not the refined). I thought the service was good, the experience was good, the food was good, and the experience was great. I haven't taken another Celebrity cruise, but it's mostly because I really enjoy Princess, and trying to reach that elite status.

We sailed aboard the Celebrity Millennium, the view from the main dining room was by far the best I've had.

To give you a little back ground. If I'm planning the cruise I'll go with Princess. But if someone said let's go on Celebrity I wouldn't hesitate. I'm on a ship where people are bringing me food and taking away the empty dishes. Turning down my bed, and trying to make sure I'm enjoying myself. I prefer Princess, but I'm sure you'll enjoy either one! Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy yourself!

I was a Celebrity fan, but the Princess itineraries (Alaska and Mex Riviera) are better for me, so I have been doing Princess far more.

Back when I did both Princess and Celebrity in the same year, the food on X was better, except that Princess breads and rolls were superior.

It is always a matter of personal preference and impressions. I've cruised Celebrity twice, didn't fit my personality and the food wasn't any better. Haven't tried them lately because Princess is a good fit.

I don't go to the Caribbean, sail for itinerary only, usually places I haven't been and Princess itineraries suit me best.

Everyone is talking food here, I am not a foodie, however, my recent Royal cruise, food was excellent. I was on the Regal for a month last year, Royal last month for 15 days. I was surprised how good the beef choices I made were. I had one meal out of 15 in the dining room where the meat wasn't quite as good. I liked the Regal it was great, but on Royal the pork chops, lamb, veal, filet mignon, were perfect. Everyone at the table enjoyed all their dinners. I was pleasantly surprised, not that I believe as gospel the reviews I read!

There have been cut-backs on both lines, but based on our most recent cruises (with both lines) we think that Princess has the better cuisine in both the MDR and Horizon Court (Lido)....especially on the Royal Class ships. However, Celebrity does have the better alternate restaurants (on their S-Class ships).....but these do come at an additional cost. Entertainment is now better on Princess....although we have had some excellent guest entertainers on both lines. We used to be big fans of Celebrity. Now, if given equal cost and itinerary we would choose Princess.

Hank....

We've been on Celebrity one and never on Princess ships. Thinking of one or the other going to the Caribbean. Is there a big difference?

We are elite on both Princess and Celebrity... which means we have well over 15 cruises on both lines. We prefer Princess.

One of the reasons we prefer Princess is ship staff is more responsive to special requests in the dining room since we have special dietary issues. Celebrity doesn't do as well with this.

All cruise lines have cut back on many things. We have been cruising for 30 years so we notice it. We have cruised on 9 different lines over the years, more recently, Princess, Holland America, Cunard and Celebrity.

Trying different lines is the best way to find out what you like best.

If someone without much loyalty to either line asked me this question, I'd say go with whichever is offering the better price for the level of cabin you want. We've sailed on Celebrity four times and on Princess 20. I now weigh our Princess perks against the price, which has helped Princess keep winning more of our business. But earlier this year we sailed on Holland America because the difference in price was more than our perks are worth. And I'd sail on Celebrity again if I found a good price on an itinerary we wanted.

I prefer Princess. I like MUTS, the self serve laundrette and the small pool at the back of the ship. Price is also a factor. Sometimes you think you are getting a deal with NCL but in reality you are still paying. I also like the food on Princess. They are all running some pretty good deals at the moment. Competition is good for the cruiser!

Bottom line is that they both provide excellent cruise experiences and are more alike than different. Most will prefer one over the other, depending on what aspects one prefers. Food, while subjective, is pretty equal on both, elfinmagic notwithstanding. Our last Celebrity cruise on Equinox had excellent food in the MDR, as did our last Princess cruise on Royal.

BTW, you should also ask this over on the Celebrity board.

Edited by richsea

Celebrity is NOT a close second to Princess in my opinion. As elite with Princess, we very occasionally take a Celebrity cruise for itinerary or summer Caribbean cruises. But when I get back on Princess ships I see just how beautiful and elegant they are.

We have been on Celebrity just once this past summer and found the MDR dinners and service to be the very best we have had cruising, like outstanding! Buffet was less impressive - we actually thought NCL and RC had better lunch buffet choices and taste. That said, we enjoy the warm atmosphere of Princess and still find the MDR food very good and think the ships are really nice. We weren't thrilled with the entertainment on Celebrity either, but we were on the Summit so maybe this depends on the ship.