Check in time question

chrisby

How strict is RCCL with the check in 90 minutes prior to sailing thing? We want to take the bus to Bayonne for our January 7 Anthem sailing but the schedule says we arrive at 1:15pm and we sail at 3pm. With getting luggage off the bus and getting into the line to check in we could be a bit late. The bus is specifically going to the Bayonne and Manhattan piers so I would think it would be schedule to work with the cruise lines schedules but I would hate to be late! My other thought is a hotel the day before, any thoughts or suggestions?

Sent from my K88 using Forums mobile app

I would not take a chance on being late. I have never sailed out of that port, but I believe that RCI has to adhere to the 90 minute rule for customs purposes. I know they will not wait for you on port days if you are late getting back to the ship, and that is after you are already checked in and have been on board for a few days. Also it is too stressful to begin a vacation wondering if you are even going to get on the ship. What if the bus gets a flat tire? Then you would definitely be hosed!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe RCCL is very strict with that 90 minute rule but don’t know for sure. We were on Freedom earlier this year gathering for the muster drill, about 30 min before sail away, and saw a family get dropped off. It was kinda sad watching them scurry into the terminal dragging all their bags thinking that there was no way they would be allowed to board. I don’t know if they did get onboard but I suspect not.

If the bus is specifically taking passengers to cruise ships you should be fine, since they are in the business of getting their customers there. And RCI advertises 10 minutes from door to ship. So you SHOULD be fine. Personally I wouldn't cut it that close, as weather and traffic could easily mess it up. You might want to check the reviews of the company to see what other people have experienced.

If a cruise line is providing a bus, they're responsible for getting you to check in on time. I believe the ship would wait for you, if RCI provides the transportation.

I've witnessed it several times.

If it is not provided by RCI I would go a day early and spend the money for hotel and meals.

Peace of mind is priceless!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A small fender bender, malfunctioning traffic signal, getting stopped at a railroad crossing or any small hiccup and your 15 minutes to get off the bus, have the luggage unloaded from the bus & get checked in would make me a nervous wreck.

How strict is RCCL with the check in 90 minutes prior to sailing thing? We want to take the bus to Bayonne for our January 7 Anthem sailing but the schedule says we arrive at 1:15pm and we sail at 3pm. With getting luggage off the bus and getting into the line to check in we could be a bit late. The bus is specifically going to the Bayonne and Manhattan piers so I would think it would be schedule to work with the cruise lines schedules but I would hate to be late! My other thought is a hotel the day before, any thoughts or suggestions?

If that is the schedule for the bus, I would take it the day before and stay over for the night.

There is no way in hell that I would trust that.

I see that you are in Quakertown. Why wouldn't you just drive and park in the garage????

It is not up to RCI. It is the USG that must have the final passenger list in hand 90 minutes before sailing time.

After that is provided to the USG officials, the cruise line may not board any more passengers. PERIOD.

If it is a cruise line bus, they will delay delivering the document, and also delay departure, as they cannot leave before 90 minutes after supplying the list.

If that is the schedule for the bus, I would take it the day before and stay over for the night.

There is no way in hell that I would trust that.

I see that you are in Quakertown. Why wouldn't you just drive and park in the garage????

Well, it's $2O a day ($240 for 12 Nights) to park, $213 total for hotel, parking and shuttle both ways. So even with gas and tolls it's cheaper