Christmas cruise question

puretcrazy

Hi,

My brother and I will cruise on the K'Dam over Christmas leaving 12/20/17. In our paperwork it says two gala nights. Will those be the only nights we need to dress up? I wish we knew which nights they would be because I've seen posts that said people dress up for Christmas eve and Christmas day. This is our first cruise with HAL and I want to be sure we aren't sticking out like sore thumbs!

My brother uses a wheelchair and I'm a smoker, so any tips on those areas or general advice would help and be appreciated! I'm getting excited!

Edited by puretcrazy
Stupid autocorrect! Lol

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Smoking is permitted by the Aft Pool.

Gala nights are not as fancy as you think. Many men wear just slacks and a collared shirt. Very few men wear jackets or tuxedos. Ladies wear nice dresses (very, very few long ones) or skirts/blouses or nice dress pants/fancy tops.

However on Christmas eve, which should be a Gala night, you will find more people dressed up.

We've been on Christmas or New Years cruises every year since 2010. There are two gala nights. In general I think people are a little more dressed than other cruises on gala night. But last year on Koningsdam with the more relaxed dress code my husband and others in our family did not wear a suit. He may wear a jacket on gala night but it isn't required. People are all different ways and I think you'll be comfortable either way. The holidays were far more subdued on the Koningsdam than on Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam. The decorations were fewer and I don't even recall the dining room being that festive on Christmas night. Wear what you are comfortable with and have a great time. You won't stick out as long as you follow the dress code. We have really enjoyed all of our holiday cruises on HAL.