Shopping Mexican Riviera Ports

mcrcruiser

Cabo- nice and clean port shopping area. Lots of souvenirs. A pharmacy or two. Right off the pier that the tender takes you to. Walking into town a bit gets you some tiendas and tourist stores (like diamond international).

Mazatlan- More Cruise center shopping. A whole line of pharmacies. Stores are not as clean or as organized as Cabo. In the city center there’s a bizarre type market with a food section and a clothing area. More artisan type offerings. A bit crazy and some are aggressive; but manageable. A few blocks from that there’s a flower market and a seafood market. Near the cliff divers there was a little hotel district that had nicer jewelry stores, and clothing stores, but clearly geared towards tourists.

Puerto Vallarta- there’s a Walmart across the street. and a shopping mall. I did a boat excursion this day, but PV seemed to be the most urban and developed of the three ports.

Hope this info is helpful.

It depends, I guess, mostly for what you are looking for. We enjoy the Malecon in Puerto Vallarta. Friends and I have found some lovely jewelry there. Enhanced by the beach and the statues and the overall "vibe" :D There is (or was) shopping along the Isla Cuale, but I'm not sure if that area suffered any damage from torrential rains and landslides a month or so ago. When we were there we got some very nice pottery from what seemed to be a family run stand or kiosk.

We liked the shopping on the Isla Cuale in Puerto Vallarta. Also the Malecon. We enjoyed this port far more than either Cabo ( too commercial and anesthetic) or Mazatlan ( stuck on a long shore excursion). Just MHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depends on what you are looking for. The range runs from a Walmart in PV to some fine art galleries off the Malacon. Cabo has lots of the usual tourist trinkets. Mazatlan has a very interesting huge Mercado which is definitely worth a visit and great craft stores in the old town.

Walmart? That is the best you can do in Puerto Vallarta? Say it isn't so. Actually, I will say it isn't so based on having lived in PV for the past 12 winters :). It is intriguing that cruisers go running to Walmart, and those of us who live in PV seldom go to that Walmart. There is a lot more to the PV shopping scene then Walmart. Come on into Centro (downtown) and the Old Town (Romantic Zone) and have fun browsing some of the boutiques, crafts, flea market, terrific art galleries, etc. Somebody mentioned the "Malecon" which is our pedestrian shopping street (think of it as PV's boardwalk) and it actually extends from Centro over the pedestrian bridge into the old town area where cruisers should explore the side streets. Between Centro and the Old Town there is an island (in the middle of the Rio Cujale) that has some interesting shopping stalls (and shops)....and nearby is an expansive indoor flea market which can be fun.

DW and I are also fond of Huichol Art and Crafts....many of which are made from tiny beads (applied 1 by 1) and there are a few shops in town (and usually a stand on the island) that specialize in that regional art. It is unique, handmade by the Huichol People (they are to Mexico somewhat like Native Americans are to our own country). Many of their pieces are one of a kind....and make great wall decorations or gifts.

And by the way, if you do get tired of Walmart we also have Sams, Costco, Home Depot, Staples, etc :). But why leave home for those places.

Hank

Walmart? That is the best you can do in Puerto Vallarta? Say it isn't so. Actually, I will say it isn't so based on having lived in PV for the past 12 winters :). It is intriguing that cruisers go running to Walmart, and those of us who live in PV seldom go to that Walmart. There is a lot more to the PV shopping scene then Walmart. Come on into Centro (downtown) and the Old Town (Romantic Zone) and have fun browsing some of the boutiques, crafts, flea market, terrific art galleries, etc. Somebody mentioned the "Malecon" which is our pedestrian shopping street (think of it as PV's boardwalk) and it actually extends from Centro over the pedestrian bridge into the old town area where cruisers should explore the side streets. Between Centro and the Old Town there is an island (in the middle of the Rio Cujale) that has some interesting shopping stalls (and shops)....and nearby is an expansive indoor flea market which can be fun.

And by the way, if you do get tired of Walmart we also have Sams, Costco, Home Depot, Staples, etc :). But why leave home for those places.

Hank

LOL, indeed so many better places then Walmart!

If you are looking for pottery, plates, etc., I recommend Majolica Antica, located one block off the Malecon in Puerto Vallarta. Address is Corona No. 191. They claim to sell the finest handcrafted pottery products produced in the centuries-old Spanish tradition. I usually buy a piece or two whenever I'm in PV.

Walmart? That is the best you can do in Puerto Vallarta? Say it isn't so.

Hank

Hank, I agree.

The only time we've gone to that one is on a long cruise if we are stopping their for say toiletry items. :)

I wouldn't be shopping there for local items.

Keith

OMG.....I should have mentioned some Puerto Vallarta eating establishments for you Walmart folks. We have McDonalds, Burger King, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Outback, Pizza Hut, Starbucks, Carls Junior, and probably more I have forgotten (there is a God). So by all means spend a wonderful Mexican holiday at Walmart and then end you visit with a Big Mac and shake. ARGH!

Hank

Ship crew love to shop at Wally World in PV, Hawaii or Alaska. A must visit place with free shuttle. How can you say No.

The ships' crews love WalMart in St. thomas and so many of the other ports. they can get so many o tthe everyday things they need.

BUT --- the Walmart doesn't sell men's ties...hubby forgot his on a cruise...spent big bucks to get one at the real department store in that mall. :D

Amazing! In a dozen years we do not recall ever seeing anyone in PV wearing a tie...so surprised they even had any at the Mall (which is adjacent to Walmart). Your hubby should get a finders fee :).

Hank

Basio Badilla street in the Romantic zone has some interesting shops in Puerto Vallerta. My favorite shop is a silver jewelry shop called Cassandra Shaw. Some of the most interesting silver work i have ever seen anywhere. Reasonable prices for the quality. Lots of other shops in that area.

Ship crew love to shop at Wally World in PV, Hawaii or Alaska. A must visit place with free shuttle. How can you say No.[/quote

No need for s shuttle in PVR, just cross the busy street. Also the foodcourt in the Galleria Mall nexdoor to Walmart is very populair for the free wifi.

;)The souvenir industry in Mexico for the most part is owned by the same company. Product is shipped from a central area. Prices are set by the company, vendors are employed by the co. This is why wherever you go you begin to notice it all looks alike. Yes there are a few exception, these people have been grandfathered in and are allowed to compete with the Co. This is the same in the caribbean and various countries.:confused: