Newbie Sanctuary ??s

riffatsea

Lots of time to prepare but wondering if those Sanctuary loungers get all booked up for the whole cruise or are there days when you can just pop over and book one on the day you want it?

My problem is that we tend to only use those sorts of areas for an hour or 2 each day and so booking for all morning or all afternoon doesn't make sense for us.

We'll be on Coral Princess so wondering if there are any other areas on board with some shade that will also be calm without children?

Perhaps early December is also not a time when lots of families are on board??

We don't mind kiddoes but we appreciate adult only areas for relaxing.

I don't recall ever seeing a report of "walk-ups" being admitted to the Sanctuary at whichever time they wish.

Loungers that are not reserved for the entire voyage are open to be claimed very early each morning. You may reserve the full day or a half day (I believe the times are open-12:30 or 1:00-close). I can't imagine that rates lower than the half-day price can be "negotiated".

If it is a sea day and the weather is nice at sunup you would need to head straight to the Sanctuary as soon as you awake or likely will be shut out for that day. Conversely on windy and overcast days those who reserved for the entire voyage have reported not a single day taker for the unsold loungers.

But if anyone has been successful at what the OP proposes I would be interested to know as well.

Lots of time to prepare but wondering if those Sanctuary loungers get all booked up for the whole cruise or are there days when you can just pop over and book one on the day you want it?

My problem is that we tend to only use those sorts of areas for an hour or 2 each day and so booking for all morning or all afternoon doesn't make sense for us.

We'll be on Coral Princess so wondering if there are any other areas on board with some shade that will also be calm without children?

If you wish to book the sanctuary go there right after boarding. It normally fills up. Price is $20/pp half day morning or afternoon and $40 for full day. You must take the entire AM or PM session, can't just pay by the hour. For Panama Canal cruises there is a special reservation for Canal Day. Everyplace on the ship will be basically youth free in early December as schools are in session. Probably will not be more than a handful of children on board. There are shaded areas around the main Lido Pool. The Lotus Pool and the conservatory above it are indoor, thus shaded. I don't remember if the Coral has deck chairs along the promenade, but if it does that is also a shaded area.

Won't be many kids in early December as it is between Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. If you only want Sanctuary for less than 1/2 day, maybe it is not for you. But a half-day isn't all that long.

Whether it gets booked up is a question. If following policy, not every lounger is allowed to be booked for the full cruise, leaving some for daily bookings. Sea days will be the highest demand. I'd say you could walk up on a port day and get a lounger if not going ashore.

Otherwise, I'd recommend deciding your dates early and go there after boarding and try and reserve. It is difficult to determine demand as it varies by area, weather, ports, etc. Do you have a port-intensive itinerary? If so, then fewer full cruise bookings. Also, the longer the cruise, the fewer full bookings. All you can do is go and inquire and try to board early.

Other factors affecting are other cruisers staying on board from prior cruise and number of priority boarders who want to book it.

You can find shade elsewhere on any ship. Not all of Sanctuary is in the shade.

I don't recall ever seeing a report of "walk-ups" being admitted to the Sanctuary at whichever time they wish.

Loungers that are not reserved for the entire voyage are open to be claimed very early each morning. You may reserve the full day or a half day (I believe the times are open-12:30 or 1:00-close). I can't imagine that rates lower than the half-day price can be "negotiated".

If it is a sea day and the weather is nice at sunup you would need to head straight to the Sanctuary as soon as you awake or likely will be shut out for that day. Conversely on windy and overcast days those who reserved for the entire voyage have reported not a single day taker for the unsold loungers.

But if anyone has been successful at what the OP proposes I would be interested to know as well.

Not sure if it was you or another poster who recently posted this quite old and incorrect information. Sanctuary loungers can be booked now anytime, including upon boarding. I wouldn't wait until the day I wanted it. Probably wouldn't get it - especially if a sea day.

Not sure if it was you or another poster who recently posted this quite old and incorrect information. Sanctuary loungers can be booked now anytime, including upon boarding. I wouldn't wait until the day I wanted it. Probably wouldn't get it - especially if a sea day.

Everything I recall seeing about this topic seemed to state that booking single days in advance at the start of the cruise was at the discretion of each individual ship and subject to change from sailing to sailing--or from whomever is in charge of reservations on embarkation day that week. Never heard one peep of this being the actual company policy.

Everything I recall seeing about this topic seemed to state that booking single days in advance at the start of the cruise was at the discretion of each individual ship and subject to change from sailing to sailing--or from whomever is in charge of reservations on embarkation day that week. Never heard one peep of this being the actual company policy.

It was a corporate policy change and I have discussed it on two ships with the MD. Also, on one of the cruises, the Sanctuary manager was not following the new policy and I spoke to MD and it was quickly corrected. If I found it to be off-policy, I would speak to the MD. I have not seen other posters writing about Sanctuary booking these days as you did. I think you can expect this process to be changed and not be variable at the whim of who is in charge. At least that is the way it ought to be.

Edited by steelers36

Unless the weather is really bad outside the Lotus Pool area on Coral/Island is very quiet and has thickly padded loungers. Generally kids are not supposed to be in the pool or hot tubs there, although they do come in for the ice cream. That time of year also has very few kids onboard. While we generally like getting seats in the Sanctuary, we would never do this on Coral or Island.