Beach advice for boring people.

Sizzlechest

I'm going to be in Grand Turk this summer on a cruise for one day between 7 AM and 2:30 PM. My family and I like to go to the beach. We're NOT looking for snorkeling, kayaking, diving, etc. Just go to the beach, lay out on a lounger or blanket, and swim in the water.

Which beach would you recommend? It sounds like there's a beach right where the cruise ships dock that most people visit. I read the threads about the chair scammers, so if I do go there, I'll be sure to walk past them further down the beach.

I heard there's a further away beach called Governor's Beach that is quiet, doesn't have much as far as facilities (not a bad thing for me), but needs a taxi ride to get to. I'm concerned about getting scammed by taxi drivers. Should I worry about this at GT? Do any of these beaches have bathrooms? What's the condition?

Edited by Sizzlechest

We've been to Grand Turk many times and each time we spend the day at the beach right next to the ship. It's about a 10-minute walk from the gangway to your chair on the beach. The water is so clear and the sandy bottom feels great on the feet! Just remember to get the green chairs and umbrellas (Carnival's property). You can walk over to Margarittaville and use their FREE pool if you'd like. It's located behind the previously mentioned beach. There are shops there as well.

Grand Turk is a really nice port of call where you can relax and enjoy the water. That's what my wife and I do every time we're there. And we'll be there in a couple of weeks!

Enjoy your cruise!

We've been to Grand Turk many times and each time we spend the day at the beach right next to the ship. It's about a 10-minute walk from the gangway to your chair on the beach. The water is so clear and the sandy bottom feels great on the feet! Just remember to get the green chairs and umbrellas (Carnival's property). You can walk over to Margarittaville and use their FREE pool if you'd like. It's located behind the previously mentioned beach. There are shops there as well.

Here's a map of the port, AFAIK: https://www.grandturkcc.com/userfiles/images/GrandTurk.jpg

Would you say the left side by Margaritaville or the right side would be a better beach area that's less crowded?

I believe the beach to the right of the pier (opposite side as Margaritaville) is less crowded but also smaller and more rocks.

Although it has been a couple of years since have gone to Governor's Beach, we do enjoy that beach. Very few people. No amenities like food/drink. I believe there is still a bathroom. The times we have been there, it may have been a dozen people, tops.

Go to grandturkcc dot com. There is a page about taxis. Looks like $4 pp. Even if the price is posted, agree/verify the price before leaving in the taxi. Not sure if done at Grand Turk, but see if the taxi will agree to pick you up at an agreed time and allow you to pay on the return. This ensures a return taxi.

Or the walk is maybe 20 minutes (oneway) if you had to walk it.

I'm going to be in Grand Turk this summer on a cruise for one day between 7 AM and 2:30 PM. My family and I like to go to the beach. We're NOT looking for snorkeling, kayaking, diving, etc. Just go to the beach, lay out on a lounger or blanket, and swim in the water.

Grand Turk is just about the perfect port in the world for you, then!

Which beach would you recommend? It sounds like there's a beach right where the cruise ships dock that most people visit. I read the threads about the chair scammers, so if I do go there, I'll be sure to walk past them further down the beach.

Or you can occupy any lounger under or near a green "Grand Turk Cruise Center" umbrella. They are right there by Margaritaville and are the first loungers you'll encounter. They are all free.

I heard there's a further away beach called Governor's Beach that is quiet, doesn't have much as far as facilities (not a bad thing for me), but needs a taxi ride to get to. I'm concerned about getting scammed by taxi drivers. Should I worry about this at GT? Do any of these beaches have bathrooms? What's the condition?

Governor's Beach is more of a snorkeler's beach than a relaxa-beach. Based on your desires for a beach, I'd recommend checking out the beach by Margaritaville first and grabbing some loungers. If it gets too crowded for you, you can always go back to the other side of the cruise pier (facing toward shore, the right side of the pier). That beach also has free loungers but is less crowded. There is a low-key bar and restaurant there now called the Beached Whale so it's not as barren as it used to be.

If you DO decide to go to Governor's Beach, it's just a walk down the beach and then out to the road (to avoid a small commercial dock); a taxi is not necessary.

To get a feel for the distances, watch from the port side of the ship as you approach the cruise pier. You'll see a half-sunken ship -- behind it is Governor's Beach. Then there's the commercial pier that you're not allowed to walk under, then Jack's Shack, then a few more places, and then the loungers by Margaritaville right next to the cruise pier. It's not all that far.

That's a nice map. Note that the Beached Whale (a new, low-key bar and restaurant, opened last year) would be near Locations 15 and 16 on the map.

Also, the shore-excursion kiosks are arranged around the plaza between the DuFry (#10) and Location 19.

Would you say the left side by Margaritaville or the right side would be a better beach area that's less crowded?

Right side. Left side might not be too bad if you're the only ship in port that day, though.

Bring water-shoes; there are some rocks at both places.

• 2 weeks later...

Keith when did you last go to Grand Turk? Your pictures look like when we went 2 years ago.

We just went back to Grand Turk last week. The loungers are now all set up with umbrellas and it just seems so crowded/jammed packed. You cant see anything if you are in your chair.

• 2 weeks later...

I was there in October 2015. I paid for a taxi ride ($8) each way and went to Pillory Beach. There are no umbrella or lounger rentals there, but you can just put a towel down in the shade and hit that beautiful water! I pretty much had the place to myself. I think there were only 5 other people from the ship there. The island is only 8 miles long. Everybody from the ship pretty much goes to Margaritaville.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I went last year in July and we heard so much about Governor's Beach. We had a big breakfast, packed our backpack with water and snacks from the ship, got in our golf cart and it was the best thing we ever did. We did drive around the island to check it out, but we had the best time at the beach. It was super quiet; there were at most 3 other couples there at a time. It has some benches under trees and the bathrooms were open. Yes there are no chair rentals or food, but the beach was gorgeous, no rocks or need for water shoes. When we headed back to the ship we stopped at the beach at port just to check it out, and it looked rocky and had sea grass (we were right at the entrance, so it could get better further down the beach). Plus it was jam packed with chairs and people. If you prefer a quiet day at the beach, I highly recommend Governors. We are going to pop in at Pilory though because we heard that was quiet and nice too. There is a Ron Johns at port, so you could buy a couple of cheap chairs if you need them.

We went to Bohio Beach Resort last year and I am prob going there again this time.

It is free entry , chairs, umbrellas, etc. Beatiful beach. They have all facilities too.

I think the taxi ride is $8 each way??

Look them up online.

• 4 weeks later...