Carnival Elation or Carnival Liberty. Help me pick

dulcemariamar

I am looking to do a quick cruise this summer but I cant decide between these two ships. I am leaning towards the Elation just because the port is closer to my house but I am a bit worried that it being an older ship, that the cruise will be less smooth and will have to deal with seasickness. But I generally want a ship that is in good condition with good food. Help!

I am looking to do a quick cruise this summer but I cant decide between these two ships. I am leaning towards the Elation just because the port is closer to my house but I am a bit worried that it being an older ship, that the cruise will be less smooth and will have to deal with seasickness. But I generally want a ship that is in good condition with good food. Help!

I would sail the Liberty as it's a larger ship. We have sailed on several of the Carnival Ships and they all have their good and bad points. Our favorite ship is the Sensation, which we will be on again this year. We have always like the older smaller ships as the staff seem to be more personable.

Liberty has a lot more balconies, from what I see/understand, so if you want a balcony that may be the ship for you.

But if you are happy with an OV, then Elation has a lot more of those, higher up, so maybe that would be your choice.

I was on Elation over a decade ago for a 4-day Bahamas cruise, so I can't comment on her current state - but it was fun then, and I'm sure will be fun now.

I was on Liberty in December for a 3-day Bahamas, and we had a blast!

Either way I think you will enjoy yourself. Available cabins/pricing may be the deciding factor...

If Canaveral is an extra hour for you compared to JAX, but you aren't considering Tampa, then you must be coming from St Augustine perhaps? Unless the Tampa cruises simply aren't interesting to you even though within reach, in which case Gainsville?

Liberty has a lot more balconies, from what I see/understand, so if you want a balcony that may be the ship for you.

But if you are happy with an OV, then Elation has a lot more of those, higher up, so maybe that would be your choice.

I was on Elation over a decade ago for a 4-day Bahamas cruise, so I can't comment on her current state - but it was fun then, and I'm sure will be fun now.

I was on Liberty in December for a 3-day Bahamas, and we had a blast!

Either way I think you will enjoy yourself. Available cabins/pricing may be the deciding factor...

If Canaveral is an extra hour for you compared to JAX, but you aren't considering Tampa, then you must be coming from St Augustine perhaps? Unless the Tampa cruises simply aren't interesting to you even though within reach, in which case Gainsville?

Yes, I am in St. Augustine area.

I've never cruised on Liberty, however my family and I took a 5 day on the Elation last year and had an absolute blast. I was a little skeptical as I had not done any research on the ship before booking. Most of what I could find on here was negative in regards to both age and size, and that really concerned me. I was proven wrong. The ship had some age, and it did show in some areas, however the size was perfect and never too crowded. She has since been through dry dock and from what I've read and seen now is like a whole new ship. I actually just ended up booking another 5 day on the same dates in March this year, and couldn't be more excited to sail her again!

I was on the Elation in May of 2017 for 5 days. Absolutely loved my cruise. I thought the size was perfect and the amount of people was just right. I came home and booked her for the 7 day this May. I am super excited to sail on her again. The upgrades will all be added bonuses.

Either way, enjoy your vacation!

Been on both. I like the layout of the Conquest class (Liberty) but would personally go for the one with the better itinerary. Neither one is likely to cause sea sickness, and if the weather is bad, either one could.

An extra hour of driving is relevant only in the case of a tie. Also, what are both ports like? Parking fees the same? Ambience? (think Charleston vs. Miami)... Lots to weigh.

I haven't been on Elation yet but I have been on sister ships. I really liked Fascination (sister ship) but i absolutely love Liberty! I think you would like either and should not have problem with seasickness unless maybe if weather related.

LIBERTY is a huge ship. Elation is small. I would do the Liberty

In her drydock, Elation got the balconies that were added to Fascination, Ecstasy and Sensation several years ago. But she also got a new deck of cabins forward, above the junior suites. These are probably the best kept secret. Whereas other balconies are small, especially the old junior/ocean suites, the new balconies on the junior suites on deck 14 (Grand) are much larger, and the inside cabins there have a couch, so roomy for 3. I did not check out all of the existng cabins, but our porthole cabin had an outlet of two usb ports by the porthole, and another at the desk. The cabins on the new deck each had the usb ports at the desk, and the bedside lamps had two usb ports in the base. Something to consider. EM

“Duhhhhhhh, if its bigger it has to be better”.....When you ask these people “Why is it better” they just answer “well, its bigger” SMH

I would also add the "newer is better" type of people as well. Of course, these days newer and bigger are pretty much hand-in-hand.

Elation is a great ship. Great Crew and amenities. Do yourself a favor and research price, ports and what you want on a cruise and base your decision on that rather than the mindless ones out there that parrot “Duhhhhhhh, if its bigger it has to be better”.....When you ask these people “Why is it better” they just answer “well, its bigger” SMH

Indeed, as salty dingo says there are many folks who simply want the newest, which often equates to biggest. And some folks just want the biggest because indeed, it is the biggest.

But some folks want the biggest because of specific reasons. In theory, they should be least affected by sea movement. Or because they have huge atria (a.k.a. atriums) (not true on Vista I suppose, to an extent). Or they have the widest selection of bars - e.g. there is no Alchemy Bar on Elation.

OTOH, some folks like smaller ships for similar yet opposite reasons, like: they want to feel the ocean more, or they like the cozier feeling, less like a giant mall/Disney hotel. Or for similar non-reasons: "I like Elation because she isn't a big ship! Why, I dunno, because smaller!"

I doubt the OP will be disappointed either way, and as suggested, I would let port location and cruise itinerary drive my choices more than the specific ship.