Liberty and others missing Nassau today?

crazyfrazee

Ships are missing ports all over due to the crazy winds right now. I read that the Sunshine is missing St. Maarten and will try St. Thomas instead.

There's also a video on instagram, Puertoricogram, of I believe a Viking ship (don't quote me on that) leaving San Juan showing the waves coming into shore and the ship rocking.

we were just on the Breeze to Key West, Freeport & Nassau the last week of Feb. It was WINDY every day. Didn't miss the ports, but lots of excursions were cancelled due to the wind at all ports. We were able to do ours in Freeport for kayaking as it was in the mangroves and sheltered from the wind - however, when we got to the beach it was not great as the wind would almost blow you down and waves were very rough.

Just of the Liberty - we couldn't port at Nassau as planned the first full day (the Port closed the channel), so we had a Sea Day (more like a Sea Sickness Day for many passengers), 20 or 25 ft swells, ship was rocking and rolling, literally. Seas were bad as soon as we got into the deeper open waters that first night. My wife and I were OK, but Mom did not fare so well...

We got to Princess Cays (after a second rough night!) and anchored there just fine - tenders were a little rockier than normal in the morning, apparently, but afternoon getting back on board was fine.

We did Nassau the last full day (which would normally be the Sea Day), porting earlier than normal. There were five cruise ships in port, including Carnival Pride, Disney Dream, Norwegian Sky (IIRC), and RCI Majesty of the Seas, I believe.

Just of the Liberty - we couldn't port at Nassau as planned the first full day (the Port closed the channel), so we had a Sea Day (more like a Sea Sickness Day for many passengers), 20 or 25 ft swells, ship was rocking and rolling, literally. Seas were bad as soon as we got into the deeper open waters that first night. My wife and I were OK, but Mom did not fare so well...

We got to Princess Cays (after a second rough night!) and anchored there just fine - tenders were a little rockier than normal in the morning, apparently, but afternoon getting back on board was fine.

We did Nassau the last full day (which would normally be the Sea Day), porting earlier than normal. There were five cruise ships in port, including Carnival Pride, Disney Dream, Norwegian Sky (IIRC), and RCI Majesty of the Seas, I believe.

Wasn't the Pride suppose to be at Freeport and not Nassau?

Wasn't the Pride suppose to be at Freeport and not Nassau?

No idea, but I would imagine it is very possible no-one ported anywhere in the Bahamas Monday, and itineraries had to be juggled massively.

When the Captain announced over breakfast on Monday that we wouldn't be porting at Nassau, people were crying - they were looking for some solid ground to stand on after that rough night, and now there were being told they were going to experience that movement for another whole day.

Oh, one more thing, while I remember: when we got on board Sunday, one of the crew (probably a bartender) said that the day before, leaving Nassau, had been quite exciting for the Harbor Pilot trying to get back onto the Pilot boat after clearing the Liberty out of the channel. A very large leap was required, the Pilot boat couldn't get in close like they usually can.