South Pacific, Fiji & Tonga Mar 2019 Shore Excursions

Hi,

My husband and I are booked on this cruise. Going ConceirgeClass as there were no Aqua cabins available.

Ideas for day trips so far; would love feedback from anyonethat has done these trips or has any other great ideas (yes I'm a very early 'planner':

Bay of Islands (Viator)

1. 6 hr Bay of Islands highlights and worm cave

2. 1 hr Paihia Scenic Circuit tour + 3 hour KerikeriDiscovery tour

Suva

1. Self guided GPS tour

2. Lunch at the renovated Grand Pacific Hotel

Lautoka

1. Oolala Island (did this last time and loved it –unsure whether to stick with what I know or try somewhere new – thoughts anyone???)

2. Tivua Island Getaway

3. South Sea Island Day Cruise

Apia Samoa

1. Looking for a tour where we can swim in a bluehole and have a nice lunch somewhere (maybe see waterfalls on the way)

Pago Pago American Samoa

1. Two Dollar Beach

Vavau (Neiafu) Tonga (Jones Travel)

1. Snorkel Vavau tour

2. Cultural land tour

Nuku 'Alofa Tonga (Viator)

1. Ultimate-Fafa-Island-Escape-Day-Trip

Thanks

Wow you are well organised so far. I haven't even started thinking other than at Suva we wouldn't even dream of doing anything by ourselves. We went to Fiji for a month in 2008 and went to Suva for a day trip early in our visit and then stayed at Colo-i-Suva for a few days a bit later. There is no way either of us would be willing to be followed around by someone who has marked us as a tourist again. We ended up hiding (and I seriously mean hiding) in a supermarket until our bus driver came to collect us. We had our 8yo at the time with us and he was scared.

Colo-i-Suva on the other hand was lovely as it was that bit out of the town.

Our last visit to Lautoka we went to the Zip-line that is just out of town. The waterfalls there were really nice. I didn't zipline, just hubby and the boys, but we all swam at the waterfalls.

There will be local operators on the wharf at both Lautoka and Suva if one wants to wait and take a punt on arrival. They will go to the same places as the cruise line excursions but will be smaller numbers and considerably cheaper. Expect however to end up at a souvenir shop of some description. In Lautoka they all seem to end up at one particular shop private and ships excursions as well

Tonga

Nuku’alofa as you exit the ship the locals will be offering tours.

When we were there there were 2 main tours.

We chose the half day one for $50 each.

Sam was our driver and he was like a gentle giant. He took us all around and was very informative. He even showed us his house.

When we returned to town we visited the markets and caught a taxi to the Bilfish Bar where we had great fish and chips.

In Vavua we caught a taxi to the Tonga Beach Resort which welcomed day visitors. The taxi was $10 each way and the driver picked us up at about 1 pm. There are some really great bars and restaurants which are definitely worth a look. The Garlic Lobster I had there at the Panda Chinese was amazing. We did a bit of a bar crawl and even enjoyed a ladyboy (think Priscilla Queen of the Desert) show.

We have been to Suva several times.

As you leave the ship head right and it is about a half hour walk up to Government House and the Museum which is definitely worth a look.

We then have a few stops on the way back. The Bowling Club and then either the Grand Pacific or the Holiday Inn for a swim.

We then have a good look at the shops. Jacks is the best for good quality clothing souvenirs etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums