Don't book with Marella - unless you have very low standards

We have just returned from Discovery and had a great cruise as we have in the past. There are always things that are different to and nothing is perfect. I think the atmosphere may be a bit different now that there is freestyle dining. When you had early or late sittings you would usually have the same waiters serving you for your entire cruise, and a wine waiter. Most people prefer to dine when they like so you don't always see the same waiters which for some people makes a difference. The ship was immaculate and saw no sign of illness. Some people just have to look for problems. We may have low standards but thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Luckily I have very low standards then

We havent been on many cruises , but every cruise we have been on has had some very bad reviews , and to be they have been fine. This will be the first time with Thompson , we picked it because of ports , and the price seems ok .

Its only a holiday at the end of the day , and unless the boat sinks its not going to ruin my life ..............I think the problem is people expecting a 5 star experience on the cheap ...its just not going to happen

I agree Maizyday, and it's not just cruises either. You only have to took at land based holiday reviews to see a whole mixture of good, mediocre and bad reviews. Sometimes even poor weather conditions can spoil a holiday and prompt a critical review. Everyone looks forward to their holiday and usually will have high expectations of an exciting event (anticipation and realisation spring to mind). I tend to be philosophical about my holidays wherever they are based and just try and enjoy the break, After all at least the rain is usually warmer:cool:!!:cool:clear.png?emoji-cool-1690clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

I think the atmosphere may be a bit different now that there is freestyle dining. When you had early or late sittings you would usually have the same waiters serving you for your entire cruise, and a wine waiter.

Thomson/Marella have never had set dining except on Captains night but it is possible to get a table with the same waiters/wine waiter if you tell them you will be back the following night and agree a time

I think the atmosphere may be a bit different now that there is freestyle dining. When you had early or late sittings you would usually have the same waiters serving you for your entire cruise, and a wine waiter.

Thomson/Marella have never had set dining except on Captains night but it is possible to get a table with the same waiters/wine waiter if you tell them you will be back the following night and agree a time

The only time I can recall set dining on a Thomson ship was on the Destiny about thirteen years ago[emoji2]

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Yes, Emerald and Destiny. I believe there was show time with Adrian on Destiny after dinner. Oh dear am getting old but they were good. Nothing wrong with freestyle dining but we do miss the fun we used to have with the waiters. The Discovery is a beautiful Ship. Had no complaints at all.

Have done ten cruises with Thomson two on Discovery and each time we would go down to dinner any time early if needed to catch the first show, but this year would go in at 7.30 pm and finely come out about 9.30 pm must admit the service was a bit slower this year, but hey ho i haven,t got a train to catch and enjoyed every meal sitting with new people every night on a table of six or eight talking about what we had done that day, the Sauvigon blanc flowed freely and i thoroughly enjoyed my cruise more so i have booked discovery 2 for the pride of Panama next feb 2019

Well our last one on Discovery was 8086 which had a fantastic balcony the cabin itself is wider but not so deep as the one we had previously 8076, both are good and in a good position for the snack shack & glass house, drinks/breakfast on balcony😀 8086 would be our preference depending which med cruise we go for next year or pot luck JS on Explorer, will know better next month😉

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Why would anyone want to wee in the Pool.................when you can go over the side of the ship? ;)

I'm not sure that the over generalised poor standard of passenger tag can be so easily applied. Some years ago we, a multi family group of 16 with very young children visited a well known holiday complex here in the UK. One evening a member of our party, a perfectly respectable and relatively quiet chap, took it upon himself to 'educate somebody via the medium of the clenched fist' who he'd caught weeing in the hand basins. The terms of engagement aren't clear and as difficult as our friends actions are to justify you would never have singled us out as troublemakers.

Hello Pension Cruiser (and others).

I've booked 8524 for the Asia Cruise in 2019. Would have liked to book an aft cabin for something different but none were available - and this was last November when I booked it!! Perhaps they only release certain cabins as time goes on because I can't believe that all were booked nearly 18 months ahead.

I suggest checking the deck plan then compare locations with photos of the ship. That's what I did and I'm happy (at least till I get there!).

I've got a 4 berth cabin which gives a little more space on the balcony (I think).

Best of luck anyway and have a good one.

Hi cuisign

It was fourteen months before our Caribbean cruise that we booked the aft cabin but it was a great spot.

Best time to change your cabin is just after you have paid the balance as this is when some passengers drop out.The cabin you have chosen is a good spot for picking up your breakfast or drinks and chilling out on the balcony which I think are all the same size with the exception of the aft ones, remember the one you have chosen is for four passengers, which costs less than the two birth and you may have to move if they run out of fours.

Have a great one.

Why would anyone want to wee in the Pool.................when you can go over the side of the ship? ;)

I'm not sure that the over generalised poor standard of passenger tag can be so easily applied. Some years ago we, a multi family group of 16 with very young children visited a well known holiday complex here in the UK. One evening a member of our party, a perfectly respectable and relatively quiet chap, took it upon himself to 'educate somebody via the medium of the clenched fist' who he'd caught weeing in the hand basins. The terms of engagement aren't clear and as difficult as our friends actions are to justify you would never have singled us out as troublemakers.

If you are going to Pee over the side make sure its the lee side and not the weather side or else you might get your own back.

Hello Pension Cruiser (and others).

I've booked 8524 for the Asia Cruise in 2019. Would have liked to book an aft cabin for something different but none were available - and this was last November when I booked it!! Perhaps they only release certain cabins as time goes on because I can't believe that all were booked nearly 18 months ahead.

I suggest checking the deck plan then compare locations with photos of the ship. That's what I did and I'm happy (at least till I get there!).

I've got a 4 berth cabin which gives a little more space on the balcony (I think).

Best of luck anyway and have a good one.

Hi Cuisign

like P.C if you want that stern balc you have to book very early to get the cabin you want ,iam always thirteen months in advance sad i know, have had two on Discovery 1 both very nice two sun beds two chairs and a table and a dance floor :halo:

Just back from a week on Dream our first Thomsons/Marella cruise. Our experience bore no relation to the opinion of the original poster. We found the whole experience lovely far better than most of our 25 previous cruises (20 of which were P&O). The people we met were lovely and we noticed not a single bit of bad behavior or drunkenness. We found the food comparable or better than P&O, the entertainment better, the Cruise Director & his staff (all excellent) much better and last but not least the whole atmosphere and liveliness of the cruise immeasurably better. We have never enjoyed a cruise as much and will certainly be back with Marella!!

Just back from a week on Dream our first Thomsons/Marella cruise. Our experience bore no relation to the opinion of the original poster. We found the whole experience lovely far better than most of our 25 previous cruises (20 of which were P&O). The people we met were lovely and we noticed not a single bit of bad behavior or drunkenness. We found the food comparable or better than P&O, the entertainment better, the Cruise Director & his staff (all excellent) much better and last but not least the whole atmosphere and liveliness of the cruise immeasurably better. We have never enjoyed a cruise as much and will certainly be back with Marella!!

So nice to read such a positive review. Thank you.

I don't smoke, steal, fight or urinate in the pool. I am very happy to go on a Marella Cruise. I'm also very glad I wont be bumping into someone that type-casts people. I'm not sure what your problem is, but the people on Marella Cruises are normally extremely nice and great fun to spend time with. The Staff are always very helpful and kind. They would not be working for Marella if they weren't. I'm really looking forward to my next cruise and meeting new people and I'm 100% sure I will have a great time. There will be the odd thing that's not perfect, or maybe someone that does something I'm not happy with, but its their holiday too. :mad: Have you ever thought the lady that said she urinated in the pool may have just wanted you get you out of the pool and away from people having fun.......

Do you work for Marella by any chance

The title of this topic irritates the 'L' out of me. Can we not get it closed?

I can't close this thread, "I don't have the power captain!" (read in Scottish accent)

But have started a new one instead:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=55724835#post55724835

See you all over there and then let this one die down the lists of time.