Laundry Question

gjkov

Oceania is not a luxury line as it is considered premium. Seabourn is wonderful and Crystal is up there as well and Regent too. Variety is good in the luxury market and we have enjoyed all of them. We are not loyal to one line or another all of them are excellent in their own way.

I wonder why you have not tried Seabourn which are beautiful and also Crystal does offer suites. We love the Master Suite on the Voyager.

We think they are all great!

Very simple answer as to why we haven't tried Seabourn. For many, many years we looked at Seabourn but it was only recently that they went non-smoking in suites and balconies. This was a something that we could not tolerate. By the time that they went non-smoking, we were approaching Titanium level on Regent and it was simply too late.

In terms of Crystal - the reasons are too long to go into on a "Laundry" thread. I will just say that, based on everything offered, we have no interest.

There are many people that are not loyal to one cruise line and that is fine. However, Regent offered things in their loyalty program that were not offered on other cruise lines (at the time) such as free internet after 21 nights. Even though this has changed, the benefits on Regent hooked us a long time ago.

I agree with you to some extent but when you are paying close to a 100k for two on luxury lines you will get free laundry and dry cleaning and at least an hour of free phone calls but the the cell is easier to use.

We love all of these lines and have no complaints except some dining venues and that’s a matter of taste. We are driven by itinerary and sea days and excellent service. Which all of them offer IMHO.

The Ritz Carlton is coming out with ships and we will give them a try as we love the Ritz product but we are open minded but that is just us. This luxury industry in cruising is becoming very competitive and continues to compete. Bottom line nobody will have a bad cruise with any of the aforementioned lines. Choice is good.

I know most will disagree that are SSS members. You get credit for days on the ship. Even in the very early days of airline travel Loyalty programs were basis on the class of service. The higher the price the more points. And let's not forget that a person taking cruises in a lower category suite pays less than a higher suite. Say a lower suite cost $10,000pp for 18 days. A higher suite cost $20,000pp for 18 days. Regent income is $30,000, Lower suites goes again and pays another $10,000pp for another 18 days. Guess what, now the lower suite is paying $20,000pp and is cruising 36 days and Regent got paid $20,000pp from the lower suite. Know take away then the food, drinks, tours and salary for those extra 18 days---Regent did better with the higher suites. And don't say in a higher end suite you get more room, because the lower suite is taking up that space on the second cruise. I think you need "Loyalty Programs", but you still need to take care of the people that want and want to pay more. You may not like what I say, but it's a fact-do the math. Rick

Rick, with all due respect, we have been through this before and I still disagree. We book high suites and are also at a high level of the loyalty program. So, what would you do in that case -- give away more of our perks and make us pay for others to have them?

There are people that have left Regent due to the high costs that all of the inclusions have caused. If laundry for upper suites (which is I believe is what you feel is their due), who is going to pay for it.? This does to come at no cost. And, as has been discussed on this thread, included laundry for everyone would raise fares even higher and service would likely drop as it has with wi-fi and excursions.

Airline programs could not be more different. They have been taking away benefits for years - charging for every single thing that they can get away with and raising fares. Another unrelated loyalty program are credit card points where the benefits keep improving. Five years ago we couldn't "afford" to purchase First Class flights with points. Within the past year we have booked three First Class flights with points.

You and I agree about one thing ....... those passengers that are lower in the loyalty program want every single benefit that they can get while those of us in the higher levels of the loyalty program are satisfied and continue to be loyal. So, does Regent want to take away the benefits of thousands (well over 100,000) of loyal customers or concentrate on people that book upper level suites and may only sail with Regent a handful of times? It really is Regent's decision.

TC, not really going to argue with you because you have your opinion and that's OK, but let others have their opinion. No one is saying take away the loyal program, it's needed to fill cabins/suites. I think Regent knows what it needs to do to fill a ship. But just because a person has lots of nights on Regent does mean it's over profitable. Regent like all companies need to review benefit and make adjustment. Your right about charging for thinks people don't use, I for one don't drink alcohol and I don't like to tour--but I have to pay the going rate. True I get refund on air because I do my own. I book Regent because I like the service and some of the extras that go along with a suite. That's my decision and I make that decision every time I book a cruise. Rick. PS/I won't respond again on this.

Well no need to visit the laundry room at all - just book one of the 29 "special offer" 2018 cruises and its all taken care of. As Regent says:

"Experience the joy of unpacking just once and arriving home with no laundry. On select sailings in the Mediterranean, enjoy complimentary laundry and garment pressing* in all suite categories so you can experience true luxury, where everything is taken care of."

Got to say, its a new one on me, but a really excellent move towards making Regent truly "all inclusive" for all its passengers. I for one will be voting with my wallet.

So glad to hear that you have found another Regent cruise that suits your requirements.

After the issues you reported leading up to your last Regent cruise, I had understood that you would never book with them again.

By the way how was your November cruise and the Regent arranged flights & pre-cruise Hotel?

Hope you enjoy your Med cruise this summer, with the added bonus of included laundry. This a great perk to have.

Even though we have SSS status, we do not resent others receiving this perk as part of a limited promotion. If Regent do extend the included laundry more generally I am sure they will review the SSS benefits accordingly.

Edited by flossie009

TC, not really going to argue with you because you have your opinion and that's OK, but let others have their opinion. No one is saying take away the loyal program, it's needed to fill cabins/suites. I think Regent knows what it needs to do to fill a ship. But just because a person has lots of nights on Regent does mean it's over profitable. Regent like all companies need to review benefit and make adjustment. Your right about charging for thinks people don't use, I for one don't drink alcohol and I don't like to tour--but I have to pay the going rate. True I get refund on air because I do my own. I book Regent because I like the service and some of the extras that go along with a suite. That's my decision and I make that decision every time I book a cruise. Rick. PS/I won't respond again on this.

I would like to tag on to Ronrick's statements. I often wonder how Regent keeps track and is able to make use of people's habits. When we are on vacation, we have next to zero interest in electronics and computers. We don't bother with the specialty venues because we never know what we will feel like doing. We actually often kick back with simple menu room service and watch a movie. No to excursions and many other things that many people clamor for. What is important to us is that we have the ability to get exactly what we are entitled to......should we choose to use it. It seems that Regent is stretching their claims that they can handle all these included benefits. They may only be able to truly deliver if they have a lot of customers like the Ronricks and the Fizzys who do not tax the system in any way.

fizzy - that was a very thoughtful post. I tend to think about the passengers that do tax the system and create some of the problems that we encounter on Regent. We do minimal excursions and while l do use the computer for posting on CC and sending an email or two every day, I am not one of the people trying to use every bit of bandwidth. I do understand that Regent advertises these things and therefore they need provide what they advertise but agree that they are stretching their claims.

For those of us that sailed Regent before some of the newer inclusions (excursions and free wi-fi), we know how much better things were before. It seems that fares have skyrocketed, new inclusions were added and the Regent Experience has diminished (not due to service or food but due to inclusions that are challenging for Regent to handle).

Note: When I write about inclusions, I'm not referring to the items that all luxury lines include such as drinks, specialty restaurants and tipping.

So glad to hear that you have found another Regent cruise that suits your requirements.

After the issues you reported leading up to your last Regent cruise, I had understood that you would never book with them again.

By the way how was your November cruise and the Regent arranged flights & pre-cruise Hotel?

Hope you enjoy your Med cruise this summer, with the added bonus of included laundry. This a great perk to have.

Even though we have SSS status, we do not resent others receiving this perk as part of a limited promotion. If Regent do extend the included laundry more generally I am sure they will review the SSS benefits accordingly.

Flossie - thank you for remembering me. Yes, I found an 11 day cruise on the Explorer that looks good and, as it is only a 2 hr flight from London to/from the ports, it does not involve any of the flight issues that I initially had with Regent for the November trip. To be honest I am a bit of a "price tart" and tend to want value for money rather than wanting to build-up loyalty points with a particular cruise line - since the November trip I have sailed with Viking and Seaborne; both excellent trips and well priced for the itinerary etc. However, the November trip with Regent was excellent and as I enjoyed it so much, I could not resist a trip on Explorer - after all, it is billed as "the most luxurious ship ever built". In relation to the November Regent pre-cruise hotel in Miami, it was ok for one night. However, having been to Miami a number of times before, it is not somewhere I would book and certainly not as luxurious as Regent advertises.

Yes - I am saying that Regent does not deliver 6 star service when it comes to excursions or internet. Regent also claims that "internet", "excursions" and airfare - whether Business Class or Coach - are free when this is clearly not the case. While I have the highest respect for Regent and their management team, I think that they need another advertising agency as their ads are pretty misleading.

Yes - am definitely against the class system but, I do not consider loyalty benefits part of a "class system" as it is based on nights sailed - not who you are - what suite category you are in - how much you paid, etc. Loyalty benefits are also invisible to most passengers. When we are on the ship, no one knows if I have free laundry, 25% off excursions, have private transfers to and from the ship, etc.

On the other hand, a special line for people in upper categories is clearly a class system and is not invisible. A class system would also be a lounge/restaurant where lower category guests cannot enter. Most cruise lines do have a class system and, for the most part, luxury cruise lines do not. It is something that some of us will argue against for as long as we can. If we lose the battle, it will be disappointing but not as bad as losing something that you have worked towards for years.

I do appreciate the fact that we can strongly disagree and debate with each in a respectful way - this is how things should always be on CC.

You may have great respect for Regent's management but you're deluding yourself if you think advertising decisions are made solely by the ad agency. RSSC's agency may have suggested certain marketing materials based on parameters given to them but I assure you the powers to be at Regent signed off on each and every one of their advertisements and promotional materials.

You may have great respect for Regent's management but you're deluding yourself if you think advertising decisions are made solely by the ad agency. RSSC's agency may have suggested certain marketing materials based on parameters given to them but I assure you the powers to be at Regent signed off on each and every one of their advertisements and promotional materials.

Of course your right, I was Sr. VP of Marketing for a major company before retirement. As a company you let the agency know your wants/needs---they come back with ideas and after agreement they go back and bring back a story board---as for company you sign off on the project, next they bring back final boards for final approval---only after the company signs does the agency go to final---than you look at it again for the final approval before it goes public. Of course Regent makes the final decision. Rick

Actually I did know that ... just a sideways comment about Regents advertising. Guess we have all worked for ad agencies In the past :cool:

If that's the case, then your post below applies to the ad agency. Just sayin' - don't shoot them

"You are actually disagreeing with Regent - not me. I am only the messenger. Please don't shoot meclear.png?emoji-halo-1683"

If that's the case, then your post below applies to the ad agency. Just sayin' - don't shoot them

"You are actually disagreeing with Regent - not me. I am only the messenger. Please don't shoot meclear.png?emoji-halo-1683"

That post was related to Regent - not their advertising.

The point is Regent is their advertising.

I agree to a point. To me Regent is the onboard experience but advertising brings in new passengers with sometimes unrealistic expectations. In any case, don't want to veer off topic but this could be a topic to discuss on another thread.