New Year’s Eve 2018 In Sydney

TxnAquarian

Suggest you book a harbour cruise for the festivities. Go to the Australia and New Zealand boards, and search thread on P and O Australia Day, dissapointed cruise. My understanding is the cruises (that were sold as visit Sydney for the Aus Day fireworks) had to leave the harbour around 6pm.

We are also on the New Years eve in Sydney cruise.

I agree with the comments by Elterwater2 that it was marketed at being in the heart of the action and was the main reason we chose this cruise.

We also booked it well over a year ago.

I will be very interested to read any response from Azamara regarding the arrangements for viewing the nye fireworks.

I certainly do not see why we should go to the additional expense of booking our own harbour tour when the ship is supposed to be the vantage point.

That really is supposed to be the main highlight of the cruise hence the title of the voyage!

Maybe they should change it to "New years eve in White Bay container port "

Doesn't have quite the same appeal !

Sent from my SM-J700F using Forums mobile app

Hi

My husband and I are also booked on the Quest with the stay in Sydney for New Years Eve 2018.

I booked this cruise in January 2017 when the docking schedule was not available but like others assumed that the ship would be docked in close proximity to the Harbour.

When I realised that the Quest was scheduled to be docked at White Bay Cruise Terminal I contacted Azamara and asked them to confirm (with the exception of any unforeseen events) my perfect vantage point as per their descriptor below.

"From a perfect vantage point on the Sydney Harbour, this New Year’s Eve starts early with an air show, followed by the magical Harbour of Light parade. At midnight, the famous fireworks explode over the bridge and the Sydney Opera House. Millions of people will be watching on television and online. You, on the other hand, will be right in the middle of it all. Happy New Year!

I have not yet had a response from Azamara but have informed them that if they do not respond I will be making a report to the UK Advertising Standards Authority for misleading advertising as this was the main reason I booked this cruise and not the Oceania round Australia cruise.

I will post any information I receive from Azamara, but so far it does not sound like they have any kind of a plan for New Years Eve. If this is the case then unfortunately I feel the cruise has been mis-sold.

For information the descriptor on the Azamara website has now been changed from

"From a perfect vantage point on the Sydney Harbour, this New Year’s Eve starts early with an air show, followed by the magical Harbour of Light parade. At midnight, the famous fireworks explode over the bridge and the Sydney Opera House. Millions of people will be watching on television and online. You, on the other hand, will be right in the middle of it all. Happy New Year!

To

"The stunning city of Sydney will bring your 2018 to a close. This New Year’s Eve starts early with an air show, followed by the magical Harbour of Light parade across Sydney Harbour. At midnight, find yourself a vantage point onshore to watch the famous fireworks explode over the bridge and the Sydney Opera House—along with millions of people watching on television and online. Happy New Year!

Any fellow passengers care to comment?

Well we don’t like being in huge crowds and are still hoping that the fireworks will head skywards and we will see some of them at least from the ship. Airfare paid now so cancelling not really an option anyway.

And we too chose this over the Oceania cruise despite the huge price difference for the NYE in Sydney.

To clarify for a few of you, you’ll definitely be able to see the fireworks from White Bay cruise terminal. You’re a stones throw away from the harbour centre.

I’m not commenting on what was promised and what’s now being delivered. Merely pointing out that it is still going to be magnificent. I suggest you YouTube sydney NYE fireworks to get a full understanding of just how far spread they are throughout our harbour and city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Tazza for that info its very helpful.

I'm sure it will still be a wonderful cruise and we too also have paid for non refundable flights do we are going no matter what.

However that still does not excuse the way Azamara has marketed this cruise.

I am disappointed to see they have now changed the description on the website. Thanks for bringing that to my attention Elterwater.

I hope you get a response from Azamara soon.

I think I will send Mr Twynham an email myself and let him know my feelings on this too.

This is disappointing that after booking this cruise and paying $24k in airfare, that Azamara has changed the description of NYE in Sydney. I would change my booking, but it’s too late at this point. What Azamara marketed, and what we will actually get, are two completely different things. The least that Azamara could do is offer a shoreside event for us. I know when Crystal did this a few years ago, they sailed out into the harbor for the fireworks display. Oh well. We will still have an amazing time visiting places that are new to us.

Michael

Like Rio this ship will getter. Overdue to Anchor spot for the show

Give Tim for surprised

That is simply not going to happen - Sydney harbour is tightly controlled on NYE

No ships are allowed to berth at the Overseas Passenger Terminal or at Athol Buoy

If they fit under the bridge they will be at White Bay

Adelaide, 27th December according to the website.

Phil

0c6651cd6b6eb587204d324358027585.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passengers are going to be in for a wonderful treat - Listening to Christine Anu, whilst tasting SA wines. Christine Anu is a beautiful singer from the Thursday Islands, north Queensland.

Wow! Thanks for finding that info Phil.

Although they have the voyage name wrong at the bottom of the description (we don't go to NZ) the link does go to our cruise. It's not listed in the excursions yet but looks promising!

Now just need to get a reply back from Mr Twynham to clarify the new years eve situation!

Wow! Thanks for finding that info Phil.

Although they have the voyage name wrong at the bottom of the description (we don't go to NZ) the link does go to our cruise. It's not listed in the excursions yet but looks promising!

Now just need to get a reply back from Mr Twynham to clarify the new years eve situation!

It's a bit buried in one of the Australia and New Zealand 2018 pages on the Australian Azamara site. I found it with a Google search, having worked out from the itinerary timings that it would be the Adelaide evening.

Phil

Just received a reply from Mr Twynam. very impressed with the speed of the response and hopefully this will allay some concerns:

Sincere thanks for emailing me. Allow me to update you on the position around the Sydney Fireworks. There are 3 mooring spots in Sydney, the most iconic being Circular Quay, right next to the Opera House. This docking area is closed by the authorities to cruise ships on New Years Eve. The next best option is White Bay which is where Azamara will be docked. From there you are able to see the fireworks from the top of the Harbour Bridge. In addition on the eastern and western side of the harbour bridges are mutliple floating barges which are used for fireworks on new years eve as well. And from White Bay the Western Barges fireworks are visible too.

In addition, we are working hard on how else we can make New Years eve in Sydney even more special for our guests. This will include providing guests options of onshore vantage points to watch the fireworks from. We believe it will indeed be a truly special evening for our cruise guests.

I am delighted to confirm that there definitely be an Azamazing Evening for your cruise. The evenings we have done so far in Australia and New Zealand have been some of the highest rated ones we have ever done, and I am confident this will be repeated on your cruise.

Just received a reply from Mr Twynam. very impressed with the speed of the response and hopefully this will allay some concerns:

Sincere thanks for emailing me. Allow me to update you on the position around the Sydney Fireworks. There are 3 mooring spots in Sydney, the most iconic being Circular Quay, right next to the Opera House. This docking area is closed by the authorities to cruise ships on New Years Eve. The next best option is White Bay which is where Azamara will be docked. From there you are able to see the fireworks from the top of the Harbour Bridge. In addition on the eastern and western side of the harbour bridges are mutliple floating barges which are used for fireworks on new years eve as well. And from White Bay the Western Barges fireworks are visible too.

In addition, we are working hard on how else we can make New Years eve in Sydney even more special for our guests. This will include providing guests options of onshore vantage points to watch the fireworks from. We believe it will indeed be a truly special evening for our cruise guests.

I am delighted to confirm that there definitely be an Azamazing Evening for your cruise. The evenings we have done so far in Australia and New Zealand have been some of the highest rated ones we have ever done, and I am confident this will be repeated on your cruise.

vino, that sounds good. I know it’s not what you seem to have been signing up for when the cruise was marketed, but hopefully you’ll have some nice vantage points. And you can say that you’ve spent NYE in Sydney. Can’t be too bad!

Phil

Sincere thanks for emailing me. Allow me to update you on the position around the Sydney Fireworks. There are 3 mooring spots in Sydney, the most iconic being Circular Quay, right next to the Opera House.

He never did get around to mentioning the third option - Athol Buoy which is right in the middle of the harbour just east of the bridge - it would provide an exceptional view of the display - but that isn’t going to happen as no ship would be allowed to moor there on NYE as it would block the view for thousands onshore

White Bay is the only viable option for cruise ships - with either on shore tours for better viewing (wouldn’t be my preference) or charters to take guest out on the water - being in the Parade of Lights give you a great view - typically those charters run at A$1000 a head. If you choose a good one that’s well worth it. However a bad one can be very dissapointing. We did it on Crystal for NYE 2016/2017 and they got it wrong (although the experience of being out on the water was still very impressive) - so even the top lines can mess up....

Having just left the Quest after 29 days, I am pretty sure that you will have Captain Jose for this cruise.

Every day, when he gave the daily update from the bridge, he told us how many days were left until the end of the year when the Quest would be in Sydney.

I think to say he is exited about it would be an understatement.

John

• 1 month later...
Having just left the Quest after 29 days, I am pretty sure that you will have Captain Jose for this cruise.

Every day, when he gave the daily update from the bridge, he told us how many days were left until the end of the year when the Quest would be in Sydney.

I think to say he is exited about it would be an understatement.

John

The officers schedule on the website says it will be Capt Magnus taking over on 22 December https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/life-onboard/crew/senior-officer-schedule

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Someone on our roll call has just spotted the description on this cruise has now changed to

################################################

The stunning city of Sydney will bring your 2018 to a close. This New Year’s Eve starts early with an air show, followed by the magical Harbour of Light parade across Sydney Harbour. At midnight, find yourself a vantage point onshore to watch the famous fireworks explode over the bridge and the Sydney Opera House—along with millions of people watching on television and online. Happy New Year!

####################################

This is radically different from the description of being in the heart of the celebrations which enticed many of us to book this cruise

The cruise port schedule is still showing us at White Bay terminal with Black watch ( the only other ship in port that day ) at White Bay 4 ?

Can anyone from Azamara shed any light on this change of tune? We like others booked this so that we wouldn’t have to be onshore with thousands of others. We know we won’t be in the heart of things but this looks like a complete volte face from Azamara

• 3 weeks later...

There may be millions watching around the world, but there are also millions (literally) lining every vantage point in Sydney. Often camped out days beforehand to secure a position.

If Azamara don’t resolve this, I suggest you book a harbour dinner cruise, restaurant (Aqua Dining perhaps or one near the opera house) or google “midnight at the oasis” at the botanical gardens.

Be warned that any of these options will book out early and be eye wateringly expensive. Supply and demand.

For those of us that booked this cruise over a year ago, this is not looking good news. I for one booked on the (what now appears to be) the false promise of Azamara. I did not expect this of them and am very disappointed.