Has anyone ever had a butler ...

CruiseAficionado

I have not used that service, but I know for a fact that our Butler did pack up a couple of cabins last summer. I got the feeling that he had unpacked them also. Both cabins were very elderly couples that might still be sitting in that cabin if he hadn’t packed them up , got the suit cases out the door for them, and then help them haul their carry on off the ship the next morning, and onto the O shuttle bus to the airport. On our most recent cruise, I went to tell a very sweet elderly lady goodbye, that was a couple doors down from us. I had stopped because the cabin door was open. Our Butler was packing her suitcase up as well. I don’t believe this service is as rare as some here might believe.

I don’t believe this service is as rare as some here might believe.

+1

I would say that somewhere in the region of 25% use the unpacking service, with the majority of those people staying in the cabin to direct the Butler as to where to put what.

I’ve seen on this Board, in the past, where cruisers complained they couldn’t get in suite dining in the last night because the Butler had told them, he had to many to help pack up on that night.

Just because we don’t use a service, doesn’t mean many others aren’t. More common than many believe.

Both cabins were very elderly couples that might still be sitting in that cabin if he hadn’t packed them up , got the suit cases out the door for them, and then help them haul their carry on off the ship the next morning, and onto the O shuttle bus to the airport.

:')

I got a good laugh about that story cuz I deal with something similar everyday at work.

I need to discharge patients from the hospital each day, but many don't want to leave so they don't pack up, stay in their gowns, take another nap, etc. Eventually I have to just do some of this packing for them or even call a cab. If I didn't, I think they'd camp out for weeks. ;)

BTW, these are new moms, not sick people.

unpack for you? And if so do they put things where you want them?

I do not have any use for a butler. I am not comfortable letting anyone pack or unpack for me and all other functions (making reservations, bringing tea to our room, etc) are not something we really need.

Yes we have had butlers, but they had a lot of free time with us.

Ivi

I love our butler. We have been lucky to have his service for 12 years, but I do not let him unpack or pack. That being said, if we were in a hurry or something untoward happened I would let him do the job. It is very personal but after you are accustomed to a person so long, nothing is impossible.

I do not have any use for a butler. I am not comfortable letting anyone pack or unpack for me and all other functions (making reservations, bringing tea to our room, etc) are not something we really need.

Yes we have had butlers, but they had a lot of free time with us.

vi

I could not agree more had one 3 times, it felt intrusive and uncomfortable to have this guy popping in and out. Too, it seems totally silly and bordering on obnoxious to ask someone to do such simple stuff that you could so easily do. Not comfortable with having servants to order around just to do it...that's not the cloth I was cut from.. If it works for you fine, not me.

We have seen a few medical emergencies where the guest needed to leave the ship. For sure they will pack you up in any category.

As long as we are able bodied we will unpack and pack our own stuff. I am OCD where things go.

We haven't used this service ourselves. If I do my own laundry because I don't want others doing it, then I also do my own packing and unpacking.

However, DH did once upon a time quite a while go ask the butler for packing lessons! He learned quite a bit of helpful hints.

Mura

We haven't used this service ourselves. If I do my own laundry because I don't want others doing it, then I also do my own packing and unpacking.

However, DH did once upon a time quite a while go ask the butler for packing lessons! He learned quite a bit of helpful hints.

+1

What those Butlers can't accomplish with a sheaf of tissue paper is nobodies business.

ABSOLUTELY wrinkle free!!!

Amazing :D

Mura

Yes, I have had the butler give me tips on folding my shirts so they are basically wrinkle free. However the effort taken is too much for me. Other tips were great as well.

We utilize the Butler for quite a few tasks when we are privileged to have them. One of those tasks is getting additional Specialties reservations, particularly on the O ships. As I’ve stated many times, we cruise to see the ports, not to lounge around on the ships. On the O ships, people will start lining up well before the reservations desk opens, and the line can run an hour plus after opening. We instruct the Butler as to our wishes and are off the ship doing what we cruised to do. Meanwhile, the loungers and those with out Butlers stand in line.

The list could go on, but we enjoy both the additional space a PH provides and the services of the Butler. Each to his own.

We've had the assistance of butlers several times. Once we asked him to pack a suitcase before we departed. He insisted that one of us be present while he did his work. Not an unreasonable request given the standard security question at the airport as to whether anybody else packs our luggage. But it also seemed as though the cruise line had a policy to avoid questions about theft. Anyway, in the end, his assistance did not amount to much, and we have not asked a butler to do this again.

We've had the assistance of butlers several times. Once we asked him to pack a suitcase before we departed. He insisted that one of us be present while he did his work. Not an unreasonable request given the standard security question at the airport as to whether anybody else packs our luggage. But it also seemed as though the cruise line had a policy to avoid questions about theft. Anyway, in the end, his assistance did not amount to much, and we have not asked a butler to do this again.

The reason for this post was to see if we were missing something by not taking advantage of the packing/unpacking butler service. From your post it seems we would not be missing much.

The reason for this post was to see if we were missing something by not taking advantage of the packing/unpacking butler service. From your post it seems we would not be missing much.

Then you didn't read there post...For some people it no, but once you work with your Butler you'd see how valuable he/she is in making your trip a great, relaxing cruise. Most people don't use them for packing, it's all the other things they help you with.

IMHO, the unpacking/packing is not much help. However we found the butler to be of great assistance in other areas. For instance, on Oceania, he helped us navigate the somewhat confusing process of making additional reservations in the specialty restaurants. On Cunard, he found a way to quickly deliver our continental breakfasts on demand, even when we called quite late in the morning.

Changed my mind