QM2 in Darwin today with Cyclone Marcus

QM2 was due to arrive in Darwin this morning, the 17th March. Now so is Cyclone Marcus - I wonder what they are doing about their itinerary considering this? It would be some ride right now

Thoughts are with everyone in Darwin - 1st direct cyclone since Tracy in 1975 if it hits? - stay safe Darwin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cyclone shelters are open. All flights in to and out of Darwin have been cancelled.

Azamara Journey is due in Darwin Sunday and the Captain hopes to be behind the cyclone, just.

QM2 passengers who were due to embark and disembark in Darwin today will have a lot of rescheduling travel plans.

FB page says they are heading to Bali.

Includes passengers who were to disembark in Darwin, apparently.

Passenger safety first is most important.

Best ship in rough seas we’ve ever been on btw - though the NZ swells were only a couple of metres. Great to watch waves at the window while eating dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hope all are safe. I couldn't see any of the QM2 cruises finishing in Darwin, they all seem to be longer trips with most finishing up in Singapore as the earliest debarkation port. For those who intended to be getting off in Darwin (if any) and had boarded without passports, then I am sure something will be worked out for them.

According to a blog onboard ( thread on Cunard forum ) it is a combination of the 2 day religious holiday and the fact that the Indonesian immigration officials were unable to board in Darwin.

9 sea days between Airlie & Singapore.

The phrase used was that some of the passengers were "exercised" with this turn of events.

According to a blog onboard ( thread on Cunard forum ) it is a combination of the 2 day religious holiday and the fact that the Indonesian immigration officials were unable to board in Darwin.

Confirmed by post on twitter that Bali immigration couldn't board in Darwin to do the checks necessary for a call there. Sailing onto Singapore, arriving Friday.

Having been on QM2 last year, might I say I could not wish to be on any other ship re handling sea conditions and having the space and facilities to handle 9 days at sea.

Plenty of time to practice the fencing and ballroom dancing.:hearteyes:

Been on a few cruises where an agent has offered a package for disembarking in Darwin and combining the cruise with a trip on the Ghan and vice versa.

If it has been offered on this cruise, they certainly missed the train. But a few extra days cruising and Singapore would be nice.

9 sea days between Airlie & Singapore.

The phrase used was that some of the passengers were "exercised" with this turn of events.

Such a shame for them to miss the ports. 9 days on the QM2 is not such a bad thing though.

Having been on QM2 last year, might I say I could not wish to be on any other ship re handling sea conditions and having the space and facilities to handle 9 days at sea.

Plenty of time to practice the fencing and ballroom dancing.:hearteyes:

A wonderful ship to cruise on especially in the bigger seas and multiple sea days.:D

Been on a few cruises where an agent has offered a package for disembarking in Darwin and combining the cruise with a trip on the Ghan and vice versa.

If it has been offered on this cruise, they certainly missed the train. But a few extra days cruising and Singapore would be nice.

We did that in Feb 2004, sailed on Star Princess, Sydney to Darwin, 5 nights in Darwin with hotel/tours then Ghan/Indian Pacific to Adelaide/Sydney. We were the 2nd trip south on the new rail line from Darwin.

No doubt a few have done that little trip. Star Princess was only a couple of years old when we boarded her at Circular Quay back in 2004, gleaming. Actually it was our first Princess Cruise.:halo:

If it has been offered on this cruise, they certainly missed the train. But a few extra days cruising and Singapore would be nice.[/quote

Yes, there was a tour group, which disembarked Ponant in Cairns, which was to spend 4 days in Darwin, then take the Ghan through the Centre. The tour got cancelled.