San Juan - Coast Guard Base

Prof Peg

Am hoping that an experienced CC person can answer my question, please.

My husband and I will be taking a cruise to San Juan. He is a retired Coast Guard Chief and would like to visit the base, if possible. Perhaps they even have an exchange. He uses a cane, so I am guessing that walking around to the base might not be a possibility, but what about a taxi? Would they let a taxi on base or would they require us to get out of the taxi at the main gate?

Has anyone visited the CG base?

Thanks so much.

The walk from the main cruise pier to the CG station is about 3000 feet on level terrain, so, hopefully, your husband should be able to walk it. Unless you have a military sticker, you are no longer allowed on base with a vehicle to keep folks from parking for free and touring Old San Juan. There is a small shoppette with a great variety of booze if interested.

Enjoy your cruise.

Z and TB

The walk from the main cruise pier to the CG station is about 3000 feet on level terrain, so, hopefully, your husband should be able to walk it. Unless you have a military sticker, you are no longer allowed on base with a vehicle to keep folks from parking for free and touring Old San Juan. There is a small shoppette with a great variety of booze if interested.

Enjoy your cruise.

Z and TB

Thanks so much, Zqueeze1, that info is very helpful. Like your suggest about the booze!!!!:p:p

Thanks so much, Zqueeze1, that info is very helpful. Like your suggest about the booze!!!!:p:p

No worries. BTW, I based the distance from the main cruiseport terminal. Hopefully, you won't be docked in the ones that are further out. Worse case scenario, walk up to the nearest bar and recharge your batteries with an ice cold Medalla Light beer or a Don Q rum and coke (NO BACARDI!!!):).

Z and TB

• 2 months later...

My wife and I visited the base. We walked to the gate, showed or ID cards to the gate guard and went in. It is a small base, the exchange is not much bigger than a "quick stop shop" on a military base. We were told we could eat at the chow hall for a small fee. I don't remember how much but do remember it was very reasonable. I asked about walking near the ships and was told it shouldn't be a problem.