Cruise stop in chan may port query

eric4395

On voyager of the seas next july stopping at chan may port from 10 :30 till 19 :00. Our choices of ports to visit will be danang / hue/ hoi an. But what im reading is it can take up to 2 hrs in each direction to reach hue or hoi an. Surely not enough time at this port to do anything worthwhile! Can anyone advise who has visited here. Plenty time in all other ports we are visiting laem chabang ( overnight) phu my (12 hrs) nha trang((12hours). Thanks for any replies.

On voyager of the seas next july stopping at chan may port from 10 :30 till 19 :00. Our choices of ports to visit will be danang / hue/ hoi an. But what im reading is it can take up to 2 hrs in each direction to reach hue or hoi an. Surely not enough time at this port to do anything worthwhile! Can anyone advise who has visited here. Plenty time in all other ports we are visiting laem chabang ( overnight) phu my (12 hrs) nha trang((12hours). Thanks for any replies.

We are on the Celebrity Millennium in January and are going to do the ship's shore excursion called "Hoi An on your own". This seemed to be the closest destination to port plus they have to wait for us because it is their excursion.

We are on the Celebrity Millennium in January and are going to do the ship's shore excursion called "Hoi An on your own". This seemed to be the closest destination to port plus they have to wait for us because it is their excursion.

Betty how long are you in port with celebrity 8 and half hrs with RC does not seem enough time to me to do much.

Betty how long are you in port with celebrity 8 and half hrs with RC does not seem enough time to me to do much.

Itinerary says 8am-7pm. Agree it is tight. That is why we are doing a Celebrity shore excursion for that port. Our only one planned with them so far.

Betty

• 3 months later...

Hi Eric,

Just wondering what you decided to do about this port of call please?

We are in the same situation for an upcoming cruise....I just don't know if I fancy sitting on a bus for 2 hours each way to just have a couple of hours at our destination when we get there!!

Thanks

But what im reading is it can take up to 2 hrs in each direction to reach hue or hoi an.

Hue is about 42 miles, 90 mins.

Hoi An 45 miles, 1 hr 40 mins. (in the opposite direction).

Though if you want to go - or a ship or shared excursion goes - via one or two other places of interest (eg Marble Mountain, the giant Buddha, China Beach, on the way to Hoi An) then of course it will take longer.

8am to 7pm means comfortably 9am to 6pm, so up to 6 hours at either Hue or Hoi An.

I don't see what your worry is. :confused:

Would be a shame to let a total of 3 to 4 hours on a bus put you off visiting one or the other.

You'll have spent a lot more time & money in the air, and on the ship getting to Chan May.

JB :)

Hi Eric,

Just wondering what you decided to do about this port of call please?

We are in the same situation for an upcoming cruise....I just don't know if I fancy sitting on a bus for 2 hours each way to just have a couple of hours at our destination when we get there!!

Thanks

Hi Den18. We eventually managed to book a tour with local tommydao tours picking us up at the ship and taking in some sights in Danang and then on to Hoi An.

Hue is about 42 miles, 90 mins.

Hoi An 45 miles, 1 hr 40 mins. (in the opposite direction).

Though if you want to go - or a ship or shared excursion goes - via one or two other places of interest (eg Marble Mountain, the giant Buddha, China Beach, on the way to Hoi An) then of course it will take longer.

8am to 7pm means comfortably 9am to 6pm, so up to 6 hours at either Hue or Hoi An.

I don't see what your worry is. :confused:

Would be a shame to let a total of 3 to 4 hours on a bus put you off visiting one or the other.

You'll have spent a lot more time & money in the air, and on the ship getting to Chan May.

JB have you moved? I thought you were in Romney Kent?

Also thanks for your information about Vietnam, came in very useful last week (now home:().

Ron

We are in Chan May today! Visited Hoi An and My Son. Both were terrific sites. We were picked up by a private guide at 10:30 and we were back on the ship at 6:00 pm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JB have you moved? I thought you were in Romney Kent?

Also thanks for your information about Vietnam, came in very useful last week (now home:().

Ron

Hi Ron,

Yes, I moved a month or more ago. But from Romsey (out in the sticks behind Southampton), not from Romney in Kent, so only a local move.

Now on the seafront at Lee-on-the-Solent, where I can watch you all sail in or out of Southampton.

We’re just back from Celebrity Constellation cruise and stopped at Chan May. I arranged a group of 10 people ( through Cruise Critic) to visit Hue using http://vietnam-shoreexcursions.com

The excursions was excellent and included lunch. The itinerary is attached. Transfer to Hue was about an hour. The owner David was very flexible as we actually arrived earlier than the start time detailed here and he was waiting for us. The lunch was amazing and the trishaw ride quite an experience.

11:30 Pick-up from Chan May port and transfer to Hue city

city

12:30 Take dragon boat trip on Perfume River

13:00 Visit the Thien Mu Pagoda

13:45 Have lunch at local restaurant

15:00 Transfer to visit the Royal Palace of Hue Citadel

16:00 Take the Trishaw along all streets in Hue city

16:30 Be free on shopping in Dong Ba market

17:00 Transfer back to the port

18:00 Drop-off at the Chan May port

Inclusions:

English speaking guide, Air-conditioned transport, Private dragon boat, Lunch at first class restaurant, Entrance fees at all tourist sites, Private Trishaw, Cold water, Wet Tissues

• 2 months later...
We’re just back from Celebrity Constellation cruise and stopped at Chan May. I arranged a group of 10 people ( through Cruise Critic) to visit Hue using http://vietnam-shoreexcursions.com

The excursions was excellent and included lunch. The itinerary is attached. Transfer to Hue was about an hour. The owner David was very flexible as we actually arrived earlier than the start time detailed here and he was waiting for us. The lunch was amazing and the trishaw ride quite an experience.

11:30 Pick-up from Chan May port and transfer to Hue city

city

12:30 Take dragon boat trip on Perfume River

13:00 Visit the Thien Mu Pagoda

13:45 Have lunch at local restaurant

15:00 Transfer to visit the Royal Palace of Hue Citadel

16:00 Take the Trishaw along all streets in Hue city

16:30 Be free on shopping in Dong Ba market

17:00 Transfer back to the port

18:00 Drop-off at the Chan May port

Inclusions:

English speaking guide, Air-conditioned transport, Private dragon boat, Lunch at first class restaurant, Entrance fees at all tourist sites, Private Trishaw, Cold water, Wet Tissues

It is only a one hour drive from Chan May to Hue?