Which Port of call is docked vs Tender

Which one of these ports of call are docked? My intineray does not specify.

Auckland, New Zealand - Tender

Picton - Commercial Dock which means you need to get the shuttle (5 mins) into Picton (cannot just walk around the dock).

Bay of Islands - Tender

Tauranga - Docked

Wellington - Docked and they have shuttles (15 mins) to take you to the centre of Wellington.

Dunedin - Port Chalmers and have a shuttle (1/2 hour) to take you into Dunedin centre but this one had a cost.

Auckland, New Zealand - Tender

Picton - Commercial Dock which means you need to get the shuttle (5 mins) into Picton (cannot just walk around the dock).

Bay of Islands - Tender

Tauranga - Docked

Wellington - Docked and they have shuttles (15 mins) to take you to the centre of Wellington.

Dunedin - Port Chalmers and have a shuttle (1/2 hour) to take you into Dunedin centre but this one had a cost.

(y)

Thanks for all the responses. My second question is when we render in Auckland how difficult is it to board the tender with a walker? My mother in law is very limited and must walk with a walker. Will this be an issue?

I won't say it will be easy but the staff are usually very good and I am sure that they will make sure that your MIL will be safe and can get on and off without incident.:D

Unusual! How many other ships were there in port that day? I think Tauranga can handle two berthed at one time but probably no more.

Sorry my mistake, I just checked my records and WE DID NOT tender into Tauranga. I was confused because we did get held for quite a while at an outer marker because there was some large ships manoeuvring in the channel.

How do you stave off the Alzheimer's?[emoji17]

Sorry my mistake, I just checked my records and WE DID NOT tender into Tauranga. I was confused because we did get held for quite a while at an outer marker because there was some large ships manoeuvring in the channel.

How do you stave off the Alzheimer's?[emoji17]

Never mind, we all have moments where our memory fails us. As for a cure, they are working on one using shark brains, there is a documentary about it here :p. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=deep+blue+sea&view=detail&mid=31E2CB4C9E8A988AE15D31E2CB4C9E8A988AE15D&FORM=VIRE0&mmscn=tpvh&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3ddeep%2bblue%2bsea%26form%3dIENTHT%26mkt%3den-au%26httpsmsn%3d1%26refig%3d1b2e16541d7b4ca486a91c049952be66%26sp%3d3%26qs%3dAS%26pq%3ddeep%2bblue%26sk%3dAS1%26sc%3d8-9%26cvid%3d1b2e16541d7b4ca486a91c049952be66

Which one of these ports of call are docked? My intineray does not specify.

Auckland, New Zealand

Picton

Bay of Islands

Tauranga

Wellington

Dunedin

Testing my memory on Picton but all of them are docked except Bay of Islands and Picton.

Trish

Thanks for all the responses. My second question is when we render in Auckland how difficult is it to board the tender with a walker? My mother in law is very limited and must walk with a walker. Will this be an issue?

Your MIL will need to be able to walk up and down the steps to the tender jetty. It can be upwards of a dozen or more steps from the water level to the ship entry point or it maybe just few. Different ships have differing requirements. If she can make these steps the crew will do all they can to assist. Her walker will need to be one that folds up otherwise she may have to remain on board

When did Auckland become a tender port. We were there on the Dawn Princess in December '15 and they parked her at Queens Wharf in the middle of the City.

I think it is only the Ovation of the Seas (or a similar sized ship) that has had to tender in Auckland. The city is going to install what is called a "dolphin" in the harbour to effectively extend the length of the wharf to allow her to tie up in the future. Other ships tie up at Queens Wharf in the middle of the city.

Princes and Queens Wharves are the normal tie ups for cruise ships. The new super liners are too big for these two wharves and have to tender out in the stream. The "Dolphin" is still some time away so these super ships will have to tender for a while

The tender operation for Ovation in Auckland has become become very slick and efficient....at least it was last season .

The tenders are almost operating as soon as the ship drops anchor. They are specially designed to handle large numbers and have double doors to speed up entry and exit. They have been landing at the new Wynyard Quarter in Auckland , beside the Events Centre ,They have an area set aside which can handle 3 or 4 tenders landing at once .

When did Auckland become a tender port. We were there on the Dawn Princess in December '15 and they parked her at Queens Wharf in the middle of the City.

Its only the Ovation of the Seas (and was going to be the Queen Mary 2, before she cancelled her stop) that tenders in Auckland.

The rest of the ships that visit Auckland can dock :)