Is the Triumph that bad?

Jenn1974

I know a cruise is what you make of it. For my upcoming trip we chose the Triumph out of New Orleans simply because airfare to New Orleans was like 200 less per person than going to Florida in March over spring break. My most recent cruise was last year on the Liberty and I loved that ship. This time we have a lido balcony on the Triumph and I keep reading bad stuff about that ship. Please some one share good experiences on that ship.....

You've come to the wrong site if you want positive information on anything!!! Just kidding. I cruised the Triumph years ago when she did 7 day cruises. We liked the ship. Its now older...but remember newer isn't always better!! Sure she has had her publicity issues...but so hasn't other ships. Having a Lido balcony will be awesome on that ship. Close to everything and in my opinion the best deck to be on if you like to be close to the action!!

I’m flying in from FL. I always cruise from here but wanted a different experience and now I’m second guessing but I snagged an aft balcony so I hate to change it. I’m hoping she’s just getting a bad wrap!?! 🤷🏼*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We enjoyed our cruise on the Triumph despite the fact that it was the least well organized ship we have tried. Lines at the buffet were ridiculous!

Other than that the ports were fun and New Orleans itself is always fun! We enjoyed cruising down the Mississippi to the open sea.

We just snagged a GS handicap for a wonderful price. My husband & dad both use scooters, so we are supper excited. Just hoping it is not a waste of money as there seems to be alot of negative on this ship. We have never been to New Orleans so we are going to do a couple of days there also. We will make the best of it no matter what.

We just snagged a GS handicap for a wonderful price. My husband & dad both use scooters, so we are supper excited. Just hoping it is not a waste of money as there seems to be alot of negative on this ship. We have never been to New Orleans so we are going to do a couple of days there also. We will make the best of it no matter what.

When are you going in March? My son and I are leaving on the 22nd.

We just got off the Triumph on Monday. We had a blast. I found nothing wrong with the ship. My room steward was not as attentive as I'd like, ( no tp stocked 2 days in a row!) and the food in the dining room was hit or miss, best meal was the night we ordered fillet from the steakhouse menu but otherwise it was clean and the crew was very friendly. I would sail her again.

Triumph was the first cruise for my husband and then 11 year old daughter last year and we all were completely satisfied. Crew was great, food was fine by mass-market cruise standards. We really liked the evening song and dance shows, but then we like that sort of thing. We really liked the cruise director, Jess from the U.S. and the rest of the fun squad. Our outside cabin was spacious and comfortable.

No vacation is perfect in every detail for every person. . . but keeping a relaxed and positive attitude goes a long way. I see you were on Sensation in 2015, which we just sailed a couple of weeks ago. We enjoyed both ships, but Triumph was slightly better for me - a little larger, much better seating in the main forward showroom lounge, better scheduling for evening entertainment, and I felt the crowd flow was better. I would very happily sail either ship again.

We also saw the terrible reviews after booking. Do you know any people in real life who spend a lot of time complaining about their endless suffering? Take a look at how many of the reviews are from first time posters who literally joined Cruise Critic just to vent their misery. It's possible to hate a cruise, but it's a lot easier to enjoy it.

I think another problem is that there are newer ships and more luxurious ( and expensive) cruise options. Many reviewers are either comparing Triumph with those, or are inexperienced cruisers who did not research what to expect and were therefore disappointed.

Keep in mind the vast majority of passengers never post reviews, and people are more likely to speak up with complaints (rants really in many cases) rather than with compliments or even with "average" comments.

I saw literally thousands of people on our sailing (nearly every berth was filled on our spring break sailing so we were at something like 3400 passengers) who were clearly having a good time overall.

The décor shows its age but it's not something that bothers us one bit. Personally I like a little bit of throwback character, but to each their own. Obviously if you go expecting the ship to look like it just came out of the yards last week it will be a disappointment.

New Orleans was an okay port, no problems for us with access. We drove, stayed one night pre cruise at the Hyatt Place by the convention center and parked at Fulton Street Garage - this was okay and saved us some $$ but I would probably park at the port garage next time just for added convenience.

It's always nice if you can schedule a cruise so you disembark on a weekend morning when traffic is likely to be lighter. Not sure what downtown NOLA traffic is like on a weekday.

I hope you enjoy your cruise on Triumph as much as we did.

If you have any specific questions about the ship I will be happy to try to help.

Edited by KmomChicago

I have sailed on both the Triumph (July 2016) and Liberty (May 2017) and would chose Triumph any day over Liberty. Family felt the same way! We love the Triumph and will be sailing her again September 2019! Leave on the Dream in 35 days! Can't wait!!!!!

We were on it a few years ago and it was great. It also had magic shows and a burlesque show that weren't on other ships we've been on. We'll be sailing on her again March 17th.

We will be on the March 17 sailing as well!

As for the OP, we are nervous about this ship but open to seeing what she has to offer. It was the only sailing for the only 5 days off we can arrange for our family, so it was either Triumph or no cruise...so we are going for it!

We just booked Triumph. The way we see it, Triumph (and Breeze, who we are sailing on in April) failed the inspection so it’s going to be in better shape when we sail.

That said, we know that we are sailing just a few months before a badly needed dry dock. We are not expecting it to be perfect.

We sailed on the Triumph this past April (2017) after cruising on the Magic in December (2016).

It was my husband, our 15 year old son, and myself. While the ship wasn't as nice as the Magic,

It still was a great cruise for 5 nights. We had no complaints and loved sailing on the Mississippi.

We went into it knowing it wasn't the newest or largest ship, and all 3 of us were happy and would sail

the Triumph again.

I don't think it's bad at all. We cruised the Magic twice and the Triumph once. I actually preferred the Triumph. I found the entertainment better in both live shows and in music throughout the ship. There were nice spaces to gather and listen to music. Certainly, you have to keep expectations in check given the age, but it had what we needed and it was our best cruise. My family missed some of the food options going from the large to the small ship, but with Guys and Blue Iguana you don't go hungry.

It's a horrible and outdated ship. Stains all over the carpets, cracked tiles, rust all over the ship, my bathroom toilet had a permanent black stain that wouldn't come off, nightstand door was cracked, and the ship is just plain worn down! Then again, most of Carnival's ships are either like that or failing CDC inspections.

I know a cruise is what you make of it. For my upcoming trip we chose the Triumph out of New Orleans simply because airfare to New Orleans was like 200 less per person than going to Florida in March over spring break. My most recent cruise was last year on the Liberty and I loved that ship. This time we have a lido balcony on the Triumph and I keep reading bad stuff about that ship. Please some one share good experiences on that ship.....

We sailed her in an aft balcony October 2016 out of NO and had a great time. The worst part was the early drunkenness of some of the passengers (we hadn't even left port!) but other than that it was a fine ship. Anything longer than 5 days she would not be sufficient for given her age and lack of bells/whistles but we had a good time.

There is no positive way to compare the RCCL Liberty with the Triumph. I have stopped recommending the substandard Carnival ships to people who want to try out cruising because it would leave them with a very bad impression of the industry.

First let me start off by saying I am Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean and have tried Norwiegn cruise lines.

And we just got off the Triumph, the week of January 15th, and I can't say anything negative about the ship itself. A few people were another manner. For example while eating in the buffet area one day, one lady (I'm using the term lightly) stood up, put her hands on her hips and literally screamed for the maid. Yes, the maid. She kept yelling "maid, maid, maid, maid" until one of the servers came to she what she needed. A few kids were walking the hallways blowing a conch shell making a nuisance of themselves.

Other than that I enjoyed my cruise. The food wasn't 4 star but was still good. We had stuffed mushrooms one night, whole roasted turkey, vegetable lasagna (my favorite), fried shrimp, fried chicken, etc.

Go and enjoy your cruise then come back and let us know how you liked being on the Triumph.