Better Rates Paying in NOK

hejiranyc

While pricing out a Svalbard cruise for this summer, I noticed that prices are given in a number of different currencies, i.e., EUR, USD, SEK, NOK, GBP, etc. Going through their Norwegian site, I compared the prices given in NOK vs. what I found on the U.S. site in USD and the difference was literally 30% cheaper in NOK! As an American, can I technically book and pay for a Hurtigruten cruise in NOK? Have any Americans tried this?

I do not know the answer to your question - but I actually booked and paid in NOK, living in Denmark.

I did a quick check for a trip in May and found an exchange rate of 1NOK = 1.90USD while the official rate is round 0.13USD - I would contact booking@hurtigruten.com and ask if you can book and pay in NOK or alternatively request a quote and ask the question in the comments field.

I do not know the answer to your question - but I actually booked and paid in NOK, living in Denmark.

I did a quick check for a trip in May and found an exchange rate of 1NOK = 1.90USD while the official rate is round 0.13USD - I would contact booking@hurtigruten.com and ask if you can book and pay in NOK or alternatively request a quote and ask the question in the comments field.

I actually found this interesting article after I posted the question above:

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2016/09/19/tourists-pay-more-on-hurtigruten/

Lo and behold... I'm not the first person to discover this discrepancy in pricing between Norwegians and the rest of the world. With the money I save, I can also book some time in Greenland!

You can book in NOK, but you need to book on the Norwegian website (hurtigruten.no) which is in Norwegian (you can use Chrome, or open the English site in parallel as they both have similar layouts). You will receive subsequent emails regarding the trip both in Norwegian and English (which means I guess they are used to non-Norwegian using the Norwegian website!).

Be aware though that then US laws may not apply to your trip so try to pay attention to terms and conditions (they are different for each country) particularly in terms of cancellation (on your part, and on theirs). If you have trip insurance in your own country, make sure they will cover the trip if you buy it outsitde the US (not sure why they wouldn't, but you never know).

I've just done that (from France) for a couple of port-to-port trips in February. So far, so good, I will let you know when the trip is done if I had some surprises!

I actually found this interesting article after I posted the question above:

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2016/09/19/tourists-pay-more-on-hurtigruten/

Lo and behold... I'm not the first person to discover this discrepancy in pricing between Norwegians and the rest of the world. With the money I save, I can also book some time in Greenland!

Thank you for sharing the link - very informative and good documentation for future Hurtigruten cruisers.

Might not be that easy going to Greenland. Only flights from Denmark and Iceland.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for sharing the link - very informative and good documentation for future Hurtigruten cruisers.

Might not be that easy going to Greenland. Only flights from Denmark and Iceland.

Oh, I know! And expensive too. I briefly considered waiting for the inaugural Princess cruise to Greenland from NYC in 2019, but I think getting in a proper hiking tour of the ice cap during a port excursion is probably going to be impossible, especially since the ports are all in the extreme southern part of Greenland.

I booked back in Oct 2017 for a cruise in June this year. I used the Norwegian web page after looking at the various english version ones. Apart from being cheaper it also had 10% deposit instead of 20%, plus free flights from Oslo to Bergen, and from Kirkenes back to Oslo. The UK site had free flights to and from the UK. I had a bit of trouble completing by booking online, but an online web chat fixed the issue. As mentioned confirmation emails are in Norwegian, but seems to be the only disadvantage.

I booked back in Oct 2017 for a cruise in June this year. I used the Norwegian web page after looking at the various english version ones. Apart from being cheaper it also had 10% deposit instead of 20%, plus free flights from Oslo to Bergen, and from Kirkenes back to Oslo. The UK site had free flights to and from the UK. I had a bit of trouble completing by booking online, but an online web chat fixed the issue. As mentioned confirmation emails are in Norwegian, but seems to be the only disadvantage.

Future communication might be in Norwegian language. Google translate might be helpful but let me know if I can be at any help

Future communication might be in Norwegian language. Google translate might be helpful but let me know if I can be at any help

Thanks for that offer. Google translate does an OK job, but it does need quite a lot of guess work to work out exactly what is meant.

The initial booking auto generated email was in Norwegian, but the follow up email confirming the deposit was in English, as I guess they know from my booking details I'm Australian.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know a convenient way to pay the balance of the invoice cost on the NOK site? I paid the 10% deposit online during the booking process, but there doesn't seem to be anyway of paying the balance online. Any other cruise I've done it's just a simple case of using the reservation number online & going from there.

I guess I could supply my credit card details via email or online chat, but that seems a bit insecure. Phoning from Australia is not a great option either, but might have to do that.

Correct. You cannot pay by credit card online. When you get the invoice for final payment bank and SWIFT information for a bank transfer is included. If you want to pay by credit card you need to contact their office.

Correct. You cannot pay by credit card online. When you get the invoice for final payment bank and SWIFT information for a bank transfer is included. If you want to pay by credit card you need to contact their office.

Thinking ahead for another Hurtigruten cruise ;) - could one have a travel agent go through the home office in Norway, and then have the TA bill using a credit card?

Thanks.

(Wish we'd known about this possibility a year ago, when we first booked...!)

GC

Just set up my bank account to allow me to transfer the balance. I've used the IBAN & SWIFT details from the invoice. The IBAN is just another way of identifying the bank account I assume?

Also does anyone know if they charge an extra fee on Credit Card transactions? UK site charges 1.5%, but can't find any fees on the Norwegian site. I'm thinking I may still try paying by credit card via the online chat.

Just set up my bank account to allow me to transfer the balance. I've used the IBAN & SWIFT details from the invoice. The IBAN is just another way of identifying the bank account I assume?

Also does anyone know if they charge an extra fee on Credit Card transactions? UK site charges 1.5%, but can't find any fees on the Norwegian site. I'm thinking I may still try paying by credit card via the online chat.

Hmm... I'm confused. They state the following on the Norwegian booking site (translated to English):

"If you do not pay by card but wish to send an invoice, NOK 50, - is calculated in the invoice office."

So it seems that they actually charge a penalty if you do not pay by credit card. I just booked a Svalbard trip and I have been getting antsy while I watch the USD get increasingly weaker against the NOK every day. I can't believe it was so much stronger even a month ago. So I am hoping for a rebound before I have to pay off the balance.

Hmm... I'm confused. They state the following on the Norwegian booking site (translated to English):

"If you do not pay by card but wish to send an invoice, NOK 50, - is calculated in the invoice office."

So it seems that they actually charge a penalty if you do not pay by credit card. I just booked a Svalbard trip and I have been getting antsy while I watch the USD get increasingly weaker against the NOK every day. I can't believe it was so much stronger even a month ago. So I am hoping for a rebound before I have to pay off the balance.

Not correct - The NOK 50, does only apply if you have to pay the fare inf lull ( fare less than NOK 10.000) at time of booking at the web but want an invoice rather than paying by credit card.

If you book and pay the deposit by credit card you will receive an invoice and can pay by bank transfer.

To pay, just go to the Norwegian site online chat. Tell them you want to pay for the balance of the cruise & give them your Booking Reference. They send you the link where you can pay by card. No extra charge for using a credit card.

Their web site is not that great, but the online chat is very helpful.

• 1 month later...
To pay, just go to the Norwegian site online chat. Tell them you want to pay for the balance of the cruise & give them your Booking Reference. They send you the link where you can pay by card. No extra charge for using a credit card.

Their web site is not that great, but the online chat is very helpful.

Thanks for the info, saving 20 to 30% on a $5000 cruise means saving over $ 1000 usd !!!

I have for decades had a special Credit Card and a bank account specifically for that credit card and not in any way connected to my other accounts. ( I have done the same for the other 2 credit cards I have so everything is controlled and safe no one has access to all my accounts unless they get all 3 cards and I only carry 1 at a time !!!)

Credit cards are overall safer than cash or check.

When I travel I have 1 credit card for hotel points, 1 for Airline points and 1 for general expense . What I like is that the credit card gives me free travel insurance, loss insurance ( If someone steals or uses you card you are only liable for a max of $25.00 !!!) Totally the best way to be secure and get the best rates of exchange

I seldom ever use cash maybe 100to 200 USD for a 2 week trip to Europe. Not sure about other countries but here we use a credit card for everything rather than cash or check and pay it off at the month end. In return we get points for free hotels and free flights just by paying for groceries gas ,phone, everything and everyone who will take a credit card

You dont have to fly or stay in hotels to earn..... Just took a 9 day to Paris and Lyon from LAX rt in Business and 5 nights in Paris 4* hotel for $150.00 !!!!

Thanks for the info, saving 20 to 30% on a $5000 cruise means saving over $ 1000 usd !!!

I have for decades had a special Credit Card and a bank account specifically for that credit card and not in any way connected to my other accounts. ( I have done the same for the other 2 credit cards I have so everything is controlled and safe no one has access to all my accounts unless they get all 3 cards and I only carry 1 at a time !!!)

Credit cards are overall safer than cash or check.

When I travel I have 1 credit card for hotel points, 1 for Airline points and 1 for general expense . What I like is that the credit card gives me free travel insurance, loss insurance ( If someone steals or uses you card you are only liable for a max of $25.00 !!!) Totally the best way to be secure and get the best rates of exchange

I seldom ever use cash maybe 100to 200 USD for a 2 week trip to Europe. Not sure about other countries but here we use a credit card for everything rather than cash or check and pay it off at the month end. In return we get points for free hotels and free flights just by paying for groceries gas ,phone, everything and everyone who will take a credit card

You dont have to fly or stay in hotels to earn..... Just took a 9 day to Paris and Lyon from LAX rt in Business and 5 nights in Paris 4* hotel for $150.00 !!!!

How do the terms compare with if one books in the USA, especially cancellation policy?

Alas, they recently made the USA policy much more strict :(

GC

How do the terms compare with if one books in the USA, especially cancellation policy?

Alas, they recently made the USA policy much more strict :(

GC

What do you mean by more strict? What restrictions?

I dont care about cancellation policy as if booked with my Chase/UAL /Visa I get trip insurance and cancellation protection....I almost had to use it last May, 10 days before a cruise and Visa was sweet as pie and more than easy and willing to cover my cruise expenses.... 100%.

What do you mean by more strict? What restrictions?

I dont care about cancellation policy as if booked with my Chase/UAL /Visa I get trip insurance and cancellation protection....I almost had to use it last May, 10 days before a cruise and Visa was sweet as pie and more than easy and willing to cover my cruise expenses.... 100%.

We often plan and reserve specific suites that we prefer, 1-2 years in advance, and Hurtigruten changed (for USA reservations anyway) such that 20% deposit is NOT refundable anymore.

There are sometimes only 2 or 4 suites of the type we'd want, for example, and they can "go" shortly after reservations open. (That was the case on our Hurtigruten RT last month, booked ages in advance, but they hadn't yet changed the deposit policy back when we reserved. There was a much smaller sort of administrative fee that would have been forfeited, not nearly as punative, but also effective immediately upon booking.)

20% of a large number is still a relatively large number to forfeit, if, for example, DH ends up finding out there is a conference he needs to go to. He ordinarily wouldn't know 1-2 years in advance, more like 6-12 months in advance.

Most other lines have a fully refundable deposit until 3-6 months prior to sailing date (for suites; shorter time for other cabins).

So we are curious what the "Norwegian terms" are.

Thanks.

GC

We often plan and reserve specific suites that we prefer, 1-2 years in advance, and Hurtigruten changed (for USA reservations anyway) such that 20% deposit is NOT refundable anymore.

There are sometimes only 2 or 4 suites of the type we'd want, for example, and they can "go" shortly after reservations open. (That was the case on our Hurtigruten RT last month, booked ages in advance, but they hadn't yet changed the deposit policy back when we reserved. There was a much smaller sort of administrative fee that would have been forfeited, not nearly as punative, but also effective immediately upon booking.)

20% of a large number is still a relatively large number to forfeit, if, for example, DH ends up finding out there is a conference he needs to go to. He ordinarily wouldn't know 1-2 years in advance, more like 6-12 months in advance.

Most other lines have a fully refundable deposit until 3-6 months prior to sailing date (for suites; shorter time for other cabins).

So we are curious what the "Norwegian terms" are.

Thanks.

GC

BUT...BIG But...if you book using the Norwegian site do you still get the Norwegian price. As I read you can save 20-30%

BUT...BIG But...if you book using the Norwegian site do you still get the Norwegian price. As I read you can save 20-30%

But, But, But...

... IF we need to cancel, perhaps 6 months prior to sailing date, will we still lose 20%?

That could be thousands (of USA dollars), IF it is the same cancellation policy for the deposit, as it is when booked from the USA.

We are not referring to a medically necessary cancellation, in which case, of course, our travel insurance would cover it.

However, it is not too uncommon for us to need to cancel (or reschedule, which almost always has the same effect on deposits) in the time period during the approximately 4-8 months before final payment.

And the specific suite(s) we'd want is very rarely available just a few months before departure date.

(We once got a great suite about 2 months before sailing; someone must have needed to cancel after final payment, because there had been no availability for the previous few months. We sometimes "watch" a special cruise/suite if we realize we'd be able to go, just in case... So far, only once has something we wanted opened up on short notice. But it's obviously worth watching!)

So my underlying question remains: If one books through Norway/HQ (rather than "in the USA"), is there still the 20% deposit that is totally *non*-refundable from the moment it is paid, be it 18 days or 18 months prior to sailing date?

GC

Actually, my Chase/visa/UAL card covers, medical evac, and trip interruption as well as cancellation. for medical reasons, or if your flight is late and you miss the ship, lost luggage, up to $ 10,000 pp This coverage is for all travel expenses/trips on which you have charged on your Chase Visa..

For my wants I would pick an inside as I do not intend to be in the cabin except to sleep and shower. I used to go for verandas and PH class but enjoyed an inside just as much.. But thats my choice and since the ship is anything but opulent and is just a ferry in reality, I dont see the point. Sort of like requesting the Presidential Suite at a Motel 6. ..Why?

Also does anyone know if they charge an extra fee on Credit Card transactions? UK site charges 1.5%, but can't find any fees on the Norwegian site.

It's illegal in the UK for companies to make a charge for using a credit card.