looking for restaurant suggestions

mailmama

We are arriving EWR on Sept. 21 (Friday afternoon). Plan on staying at Newark Penn Station Hilton. Looking for a restaurant near the hotel or at least easy to get to. Sat. am we are going by PATH to WTC and walking around that area. Any suggestions for lunch and dinner Sat. Would also love to try a bakery, NYC pizza in either area. Thanks for any suggestions! We're from Tennessee so no need to try BBQ, cornbread or grits!! Lol.......

We are arriving EWR on Sept. 21 (Friday afternoon). Plan on staying at Newark Penn Station Hilton. Looking for a restaurant near the hotel or at least easy to get to. Sat. am we are going by PATH to WTC and walking around that area. Any suggestions for lunch and dinner Sat. Would also love to try a bakery, NYC pizza in either area. Thanks for any suggestions! We're from Tennessee so no need to try BBQ, cornbread or grits!! Lol.......

Newark Ironbound District for Spanish and Portuguese - a short cab ride from the Hilton. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g46671-zfn7252-Newark_New_Jersey.html

Newark Ironbound District for Spanish and Portuguese - a short cab ride from the Hilton. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g46671-zfn7252-Newark_New_Jersey.html

Seriously the best Spanish and Portuguese restaurants in the country.

I’m going to recommend Casa Vasca, a smaller place (many of these restaurants have rooms and rooms), haven’t been in a long time, but still gets good reviews.

ETA, I posted this before reading the trip advisor link. DH brought me to this restaurant (a favorite in my family) before proposing. One of my daughters has celiac, I had no idea they are good with gluten free options, I now know where DH’s birthday dinner will be next month.

Edited by mjkacmom

• 2 weeks later...

I travel to Newark on business all the time. If you're desperate the Hilton has a coffee shop for breakfast or lunch. Spanish Tavern and Don Pepe are nice restaurants. All short cab rides. For cheap and fun Dinosaur BBQ. Agree Ironbound a cool place to go. Caution, Newark can be rough. Be aware of your surroundings at night.

Thanks again for info/suggestions. Not familiar with any of this area, transits, subways etc. We will try and make sure not to be out late! We plan on doing a Tower tour as just too special to pass up. Who. knows when we will ever be back in NYC!