Zuiderdam questions

retdon

Zuiderdam questions, this will be out 3rd P. canal trip but need some answers as things are always changing.

If you have been on the Z in the last few months, please let me know.

The day in Aruba when the ship does not leave until 11pm, was a BBQ served around the aft pool?

When were the formal nights?

Thanks, Linda

Here is what I have been learning about the loss of the outdoor buffets, which used to be standard. Most/all of the outdoor buffets had to be cancelled due to new ship sanitation infrastructure requirements that the ships cannot not now meet. Read the CDC Vessel Sanitation Program to learn what they are. Unfortunate, but that is that.

I believe I recently read where the new Konigsdam was offering a pool side buffet so perhaps the newer ships designs can accommodate the new CDC requirements - hand washing stations, overhead food coverings, etc. We have wonderful memories of many outdoor buffets in exotic locales - in the warm evenings and are sorry to see them go, but CDC runs a very tight ship these days. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong about the Zuiderdam.

Here is what I have been learning about the loss of the outdoor buffets, which used to be standard. Most/all of the outdoor buffets had to be cancelled due to new ship sanitation infrastructure requirements that the ships cannot not now meet. Read the CDC Vessel Sanitation Program to learn what they are. Unfortunate, but that is that.

I believe I recently read where the new Konigsdam was offering a pool side buffet so perhaps the newer ships designs can accommodate the new CDC requirements - hand washing stations, overhead food coverings, etc. We have wonderful memories of many outdoor buffets in exotic locales - in the warm evenings and are sorry to see them go, but CDC runs a very tight ship these days. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong about the Zuiderdam.

I have read about the Amsterdam having outdoor buffets on it's current cruise. So it is possible.

I have read about the Amsterdam having outdoor buffets on it's current cruise. So it is possible.

As of Dec 2016, read the CDC Vessel Sanitation Report regarding their Oct 2016 Luau outdoor buffets - we had one on our Tales of the South Pacific but that was now several years ago. CDC was saying this is not a "food service area".

Good news to hear they are now back in business again putting on outdoor buffets - they did make those warm nights very special or when they were docked in a spectacular harbor overnight like Istanbul or Shanghai.

VSP: Dec 2016

Item No.: 13 Site: Food Service General-Lido Poolside Luau BBQ

Violation: A BBQ function occurred last on 25 November (2016) on the pool deck, which is not a food area. Staff explained how grills were staged next to a food employee-served buffet station. Although the area had a retractable roof, staff explained how this area is opened for the function since the function is done weekly and only weather permitting. This setup does not provide adequate protection for food and the nearest handwashing stations for the food employees were over 8 meters away.

Recommendation: Because of the risks for foodborne illness inherent to the food operation, ensure the supervisor or person in charge of food operations on the vessel demonstrates to VSP - during inspections and on request - knowledge of foodborne disease prevention, application of the Hazard Analysis Critical Point principles, and the food-safety guidelines in this manual. Ensure that the person in charge demonstrates this knowledge: (1) By compliance with these guidelines; (12) Identifying critical-control points in the operation from purchasing through service that when not controlled may contribute to the transmission of foodborne illness and explaining steps taken to ensure the points are controlled in accordance with the guidelines in this manual.

We were on the Zuiderdam in January for a 10 night PT of the Canal.

No BBQ on the deck in Aruba.

Formal nights were the first sea day and I don't remember when the second one was. Maybe it was the first night of the two sea days at the end of the cruise....

Formal nights were the first sea day and I don't remember when the second one was. Maybe it was the first night of the two sea days at the end of the cruise....

You are correct. Formal nights are the first sea day and the first night of two sea days at the end. We were also on the Zuiderdam in January.

You are correct. Formal nights are the first sea day and the first night of two sea days at the end. We were also on the Zuiderdam in January.

Because our call in Costa Rica was cancelled and turned into a sea day, I couldn't remember which of the three sea days at the end of the cruise was formal night. :confused:

Because our call in Costa Rica was cancelled and turned into a sea day, I couldn't remember which of the three sea days at the end of the cruise was formal night. :confused:

were you on the Z in December our Costa Rica call was cancelled also. Went to Grand Cayman instead,

No BBQ everyone correct about formal nights

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As of Dec 2016, read the CDC Vessel Sanitation Report regarding their Oct 2016 Luau outdoor buffets - we had one on our Tales of the South Pacific but that was now several years ago. CDC was saying this is not a "food service area".

Good news to hear they are now back in business again putting on outdoor buffets - they did make those warm nights very special or when they were docked in a spectacular harbor overnight like Istanbul or Shanghai.

VSP: Dec 2016

Item No.: 13 Site: Food Service General-Lido Poolside Luau BBQ

Violation: A BBQ function occurred last on 25 November (2016) on the pool deck, which is not a food area. Staff explained how grills were staged next to a food employee-served buffet station. Although the area had a retractable roof, staff explained how this area is opened for the function since the function is done weekly and only weather permitting. This setup does not provide adequate protection for food and the nearest handwashing stations for the food employees were over 8 meters away.

Recommendation: Because of the risks for foodborne illness inherent to the food operation, ensure the supervisor or person in charge of food operations on the vessel demonstrates to VSP - during inspections and on request - knowledge of foodborne disease prevention, application of the Hazard Analysis Critical Point principles, and the food-safety guidelines in this manual. Ensure that the person in charge demonstrates this knowledge: (1) By compliance with these guidelines; (12) Identifying critical-control points in the operation from purchasing through service that when not controlled may contribute to the transmission of foodborne illness and explaining steps taken to ensure the points are controlled in accordance with the guidelines in this manual.

8 meters, the horror.......:eek::eek:

It's second from the last night.

Koningsdam didn't have a deck BBQ last year. Haven't heard any change in that situation.

The K didn't have one in January, either.

Have the CDC rules stopped the serving of Panama buns on the canal cruises? We did the Zuiderdam partial canal in January 2016, and there were serving stations all around the ship. Delicious!