Earning points, Celebrity vs. Azamara

AllisonJames

So, I thought I was Discoverer level. I booked an AZ cruise onboard last August and they contacted Le Club to confirm I was Discoverer based on two AZ cruises and one Celebrity. Since I recently applied for an upgrade for an August 2017 cruise we just booked in Feb., I contacted Le Club to confirm they had my level correct and was told I am still Adventurer, despite being confirmed as Discoverer last August. They admit someone made a mistake. I thought I had calculated my points correctly. I have been all over the website and cannot find where it shows a chart for earning points for Celebrity cruises which must be different than AZ if I am still Adventurer because I can do the math. But want to make sure they don't accidentally have my Celebrity category incorrect. The chart shows points earned --5 per night--for Balcony staterooms which I have had for all my cruises. Can someone confirm Celebrity points based on stateroom? The Azamara website does not say anywhere that I could find that points are lower for Celebrity.

Kind of disappointed as it puts me farther down the chain for a chance at an upgrade on a cruise that is not booking very well so we thought we might actually have a chance this time.

Best place to look is the Celebrity site, if you go to My Celebrity you should find your cruise history and points awarded it will show both Celebrity and Azamara Cruises.

Points per stateroom are listed for Celebrity in the Captain’s Club section and on the Azamara site under LCV.

There was a change in January 2015 to points on Azamara, before that it was 3 points for a balcony not 5 as it is not. On Celebrity I think it’s 3 for a balcony but 5 for Concierge and Aqua.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Points are not able to be combined between lines. Only levels are transferred. For instance I am Diamond Plus on RCCL which transfers to Discoverer on Azamara. When I take my cruise next month on Azamara I will get no additional points on RCCL or Celebrity only on Azamara. I went thru this years ago. I wanted to be Diamond Plus on RCCL to be able to transfer status to Celebrity or Azamara. What I did was book Grand Suites, took long trips and as a single got the points. Now I only book regular cabins because the next level on RCCL is in my opinion way out of my reach.

Kathy

https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/captains-club/how-to-earn-captains-club-points/

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/le-club-voyage/le-club-voyage-programme

How many points do you have? I'd be surprised with a total of three cruises you were Discoverer, unless long cruises in a suite.

Phil

Points are not able to be combined between lines. Only levels are transferred. For instance I am Diamond Plus on RCCL which transfers to Discoverer on Azamara. When I take my cruise next month on Azamara I will get no additional points on RCCL or Celebrity only on Azamara. I went thru this years ago. I wanted to be Diamond Plus on RCCL to be able to transfer status to Celebrity or Azamara. What I did was book Grand Suites, took long trips and as a single got the points. Now I only book regular cabins because the next level on RCCL is in my opinion way out of my reach.

Kathy

Wrong. Points on Celebrity and Azamara are combined to give a level across the two. RCCL are reciprocal levels only and attract no added points at any time.

Phil

Wrong. Points on Celebrity and Azamara are combined to give a level across the two. RCCL are reciprocal levels only and attract no added points at any time.

Phil

Phil is correct. I am only half correct. I looked it up and here is what I found.

Equivalent recognition is one of the benefits of being a Captain's Club, Crown & Anchor Society and/or Le Club Voyage loyalty member. It offers loyalty members the opportunity to receive recognition and similar benefits with matching tier status–both pre-cruise and onboard–when sailing with one of the three brands. Members of one loyalty program must enroll in a sister program in order to receive equivalent recognition benefits.

Points on Celebrity and Azamara are earned cumulatively in both loyalty programs. For example, 20 Club Points earned on a Celebrity sailing will be reflected as 20 points in both Celebrity's and Azamara's loyalty programs. The total Club Points for the member will reflect all qualified points earned.

Points earned on Royal Caribbean are earned only for the Royal Caribbean loyalty program. Points of each loyalty program cannot be added together. Points are calculated using the applicable brand's program level accrual system.

Kathy

No, in terms of the question asked by the OP you aren't even half correct! Lol

Phil

Maybe not but I am correct about the reciprocal status

Sorry too busy for this back and forth so I will defer to you. I don;t have time to sit here and look at every post on every thread. Your right I am wrong. Sorry for my post. Won;t happen much longer

Kathy

This page on Azamara shows the points and levels on Celebrity and Azamara. https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/le-club-voyage/le-club-voyage-programme/member-benefits.

Last November we had finished our 5th cruise with Azamara, including three 17 night relocation cruises, and went up to Discoverer then, so as Phil says it seems unlikely that you’d get up to Discoverer with 3 cruises, unless they were all long and you were in a suite. Points are only 3 per night for a balcony on Celebrity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Everyone here is so helpful as usual! My apologies, I got Discoverer and Explorer confused. (truly wishful thinking that I am all the way to Discover :) I thought I had 150 points and had moved from Adventurer into Explorer and yes, that was confirmed for me by Azamara last August when I booked my next cruise. Unfortunately, the chart provided on AZ's website (points per night based on stateroom) apparently only refers to AZ cruises. It would be nice if they made that clear and also provided the Celebrity chart as there's all this reference to the total Celebrity/AZ points needed for various levels so it didn't occur to me the Celebrity points per night structure was different. I have 23 nights in a balcony statement on AZ at 5 points per night for a total of 115. I have 7 nights in a Celebrity balcony statement for a total of 21. So I guess I have 136 instead of the 150 I thought I had. Sigh. Still only a lowly Adventurer, but two more AZ cruises booked so looking forward to moving into Explorer and the very exciting free bag of laundry and other perks :). By the way, the Le Club rep has been helpful except for the fact that his last reply told me he couldn't tell me anything about the Celebrity points structure I should check their website. It seems to be if you are an AZ loyalty rep this is basic info you should know rather than directing me to find out on my own.

Everyone here is so helpful as usual! My apologies, I got Discoverer and Explorer confused. (truly wishful thinking that I am all the way to Discover :) I thought I had 150 points and had moved from Adventurer into Explorer and yes, that was confirmed for me by Azamara last August when I booked my next cruise. Unfortunately, the chart provided on AZ's website (points per night based on stateroom) apparently only refers to AZ cruises. It would be nice if they made that clear and also provided the Celebrity chart as there's all this reference to the total Celebrity/AZ points needed for various levels so it didn't occur to me the Celebrity points per night structure was different. I have 23 nights in a balcony statement on AZ at 5 points per night for a total of 115. I have 7 nights in a Celebrity balcony statement for a total of 21. So I guess I have 136 instead of the 150 I thought I had. Sigh. Still only a lowly Adventurer, but two more AZ cruises booked so looking forward to moving into Explorer and the very exciting free bag of laundry and other perks :). By the way, the Le Club rep has been helpful except for the fact that his last reply told me he couldn't tell me anything about the Celebrity points structure I should check their website. It seems to be if you are an AZ loyalty rep this is basic info you should know rather than directing me to find out on my own.

I'm also confused by the earning points/reciprocal status. Based on our RCI status of Platinum, that made us Explorer on AZ, which we appreciated very much (the internet discount and bag of laundry was great!). Then I realized it would take us so many points to get to Discoverer anyway, I just wasn't going to worry that I wasn't sure how it all worked! LOL.

Unfortunately, the chart provided on AZ's website (points per night based on stateroom) apparently only refers to AZ cruises. It would be nice if they made that clear and also provided the Celebrity chart as there's all this reference to the total Celebrity/AZ points needed for various levels so it didn't occur to me the Celebrity points per night structure was different. I have 23 nights in a balcony statement on AZ at 5 points per night for a total of 115. I have 7 nights in a Celebrity balcony statement for a total of 21. So I guess I have 136 instead of the 150 I thought I had.

Prior to 23 November 2013, Azamara's Le Club Voyage and Celebrity's Captain's Club both featured three loyalty tiers [Adventurer/Classic, Explorer/Select, and Discoverer/Elite], offered identical benefits across both programs, and used a Cruise Credit approach--rather than the current Cruise Point approach--to determine loyalty tier...

Under the Cruise Credit approach, for each completed cruise...

• One Cruise Credit was earned per trip...
  • There was opportunity to earn an additional Cruise Credit based upon level of accommodation...
    • On Azamara, the additional credit was awarded to those sailing in a suite [only]...
    • On Celebrity, the additional credit was awarded to those sailing in an AquaClass Veranda, a Concierge Class Veranda, or a suite...
    • And finally, if applicable, an additional Cruise Credit was awarded--to a maximum of three and regardless of level accommodation--on sailings of twelve nights or longer...

On 23 November 2013, Celebrity revamped Captain's Club to add two new loyalty tiers for established cruisers, Elite Plus and Zenith... Since Azamara used--and continues to use--Celebrity's Loyalty Accounting System, Azamara followed by adding--in terms of qualification--the equivalent Discoverer Plus and Discoverer Platinum membership tiers... At the same time, both cruise lines shifted from the Cruise Credit to a Cruise Point [points per night based upon level of accommodation as is used now] approach to measuring loyalty... Each "former" Cruise Credit was converted to thirty "new" Cruise Points at the same time...

Celebrity coincidently introduced a new array of benefits associated with the two new membership tiers immediately... Azamara did not preview its revamped array of benefits until September 2014 for effect with sailings on/after 1 January 2015... During 2014, those sailing Azamara as Discoverer, Discoverer Plus, or Discoverer Platinum members received the then-unchanged benefits that had long been associated with Discoverer membership...

When Azamara first revealed their proposed benefit changes in September 2014, it suddenly occurred--to the dismay of many--that Azamara had long been accruing Cruise Credits [and during 2014, Cruise Points] for those occupying Club Veranda cabins at a lower rate [no additional Cruise Credits in the past, three Cruise Points per day during 2014] than Celebrity had been accruing Credits/Points for those occupying AquaClass Veranda and Concierge Class Veranda cabins [an additional Cruise Credit in the past, five Cruise Points per day as of November 2013]... Apparently, Azamara got quite a bit of negative reaction--including comments from Cruise Critic members contributing to this forum--that the disparity between the Celebrity accrual rate for those sailing AquaClass and Concierge Class Veranda cabins and those sailing in an Azamara Veranda cabin was unjust given Azamara's [usually] higher pricing for a veranda stateroom relative to Celebrity's usual pricing for Aqua Class and Concierge Class Veranda pricing... After several weeks of feedback and deliberation, Azamara announced that the Cruise Point accrual for veranda cabin occupancy would be increased from 3 Cruise Points per day to 5 Cruise Points per day effective with sailings on/after 1 January 2015; no retroactive adjustments for the long-standing credit/point accrual disparity were made... Azamara's laundry benefits were redefined at the same time; initially few seemed to notice or care about the changes...

So if your one Celebrity cruise commenced on/after 23 November 2013 and your two Azamara cruises both commenced on/after 1 January 2015, your calculation is likely correct... If otherwise, you may need to get your pencil out to redo the math [realistically, I'd look at your sailing record on My Celebrity to see your Cruise Point total and--if necessary--attempt to back into the number using the guidelines above]...

Hope this helps... Everything has a history and, sometimes, it can get pretty complex...

Edited by Xport

Do solo cruisers get extra points like on RCCL and Celebrity?

Solo cruisers on Azamara receive double cruise points assuming that one's cruise fare is based upon a full [100%] single supplement... The practice is identical to the one used by Celebrity...

As I understand it (and I am very open to being corrected), the following is a summary of points earning and applicability:

Points earned on RCL apply ONLY to the Crown & Anchor Society.

Points earned on Celebrity or Azamara are combined into one loyalty database for level determination.

The benefits are different in each of the three programs and levels are recognized per the chart below.

reciprocity.jpg

Solo cruisers on Azamara receive double cruise points assuming that one's cruise fare is based upon a full [100%] single supplement... The practice is identical to the one used by Celebrity...

It's double regardless of the single supplement. At least on Azamara. I don't think I've ever been on a Celebrity cruise with a reduced single supplement.

Phil

It's really not that complex even for a simple guy like me, but honestly your wordy answer to a pretty simple question doesn't help.

You are right that it's not that complex for those of us who lived through the conversion and remember it... That said, there are numerous posts every year--here and on the Celebrity forum--from people who were impacted by the conversion who don't recall the conversion at all or--if they do--the details... The explanation is no longer published on either the Azamara or Celebrity website...

I responded to the Thread Starter given that she did not mention when she sailed in the past... And I thought I was being constructive if the additional information helped her--or other readers--understand how one's Cruise Point accrual has been derived...

By all means--honestly--skip past my posts, without comment, if the content is of no interest to a highly experienced cruiser like you or if you don't happen to like my thoroughness or writing style [both of which have garnered appreciation from others]... If nothing else, I always try my best to be factual...

You are right that it's not that complex for those of us who lived through the conversion and remember it... That said, there are numerous posts every year--here and on the Celebrity forum--from people who were impacted by the conversion who don't recall the conversion at all or--if they do--the details... The explanation is no longer published on either the Azamara or Celebrity website...

I responded to the Thread Starter given that she did not mention when she sailed in the past... And I thought I was being constructive if the additional information helped her--or other readers--understand how one's Cruise Point accrual has been derived...

By all means--honestly--skip past my posts, without comment, if the content is of no interest to a highly experienced cruiser like you or if you don't happen to like my thoroughness or writing style [both of which have garnered appreciation from others]... If nothing else, I always try my best to be factual...

I agree with you and I think your post was very helpful. I knew about the conversion but forgot about it until your post. Thank you for posting and reminding.

Kathy

I like to be factual too, but at the same time relevant to the question because it can get very complicated.

Phil

I like to be factual too, but at the same time relevant to the question because it can get very complicated.

It's still unclear to me how one might deduce irrelevance from the Thread Starter's post... And as I noted in my first response here, it can get very complicated... But sometimes, the devil is in the detail and I thought I was being helpful [thank you, Kathy] if the historical angle might apply or otherwise be a matter of interest...

This is one of those cases in which we'll need to agree--and most often, I think we have--to disagree [which, when such rare occasions have occurred in the past (always to my recollection as to perspective rather than appropriateness of content for purposes of this forum), have always been done constructively/respectfully]...

It's double regardless of the single supplement. At least on Azamara. I don't think I've ever been on a Celebrity cruise with a reduced single supplement.

I gladly stand corrected...

My recollection was that Azamara followed Celebrity's "double points for solos" practice [implemented for effect with sailings commencing on/after 1 July 2014; Celebrity still requires payment of a 100% single supplement for the "double up"] when Azamara followed suit for cruises commencing on/after 1 January 2015...

I did receive double Cruise Points for my Azamara cruises in February/March 2015 but I had paid the full single supplement on each...

Out of curiosity, I just accessed the Le Club Voyage Terms & Conditions as of 4 January 2015--the web application, Wayback Machine, can be a friend--and it is clear that Phil is right; since implementation, Azamara has never required payment of the full single supplement for the "double up" [though one might be amazed as to how the T&C have otherwise evolved/been clarified over time]...

Sorry for the misinformation, Kathy... If you have booked your upcoming Azamara cruise at less than full single supplement, the good news is that your Cruise Points accrual for this sailing will be better than I caused you to expect!

Edited by Xport

It's still unclear to me how one might deduce irrelevance from the Thread Starter's post... And as I noted in my first response here, it can get very complicated... But sometimes, the devil is in the detail and I thought I was being helpful [thank you, Kathy] if the historical angle might apply or otherwise be a matter of interest...

This is one of those cases in which we'll need to agree--and most often, I think we have--to disagree [which, when such rare occasions have occurred in the past (always to my recollection as to perspective rather than appropriateness of content for purposes of this forum), have always been done constructively/respectfully]...

Xport, I’m sorry if I upset you. It wasn’t my intention. As you rightly say it CAN get complicated which is why I wanted to keep it relevant with poster Allison. Otherwise it becomes a real muddle. I think as far as the OP is concerned and having read her first and subsequent posts it is clear that she made a mistake and now knows where she is.

I hope we are all good. I’m a stickler for detail and if I’m wrong I will always admit that freely and I’m pleased you did the same in a further post. Sometimes we all make mistakes and I am not immune!

Phil

Xport, I’m sorry if I upset you. It wasn’t my intention. As you rightly say it CAN get complicated which is why I wanted to keep it relevant with poster Allison. Otherwise it becomes a real muddle. I think as far as the OP is concerned and having read her first and subsequent posts it is clear that she made a mistake and now knows where she is.

I hope we are all good. I’m a stickler for detail and if I’m wrong I will always admit that freely and I’m pleased you did the same in a further post. Sometimes we all make mistakes and I am not immune!

Thank you, Phil... We're good!

In addition to our mutual passion for travel/cruising and our substantive knowledge of/experience with the Celebrity and Azamara products, practices, and history, I think that we share many of the same character traits--I too am highly studied/analytical, a stickler for detail, and readily admit to/correct my errors--and we both take pride in our contributions to these forums...