Airline Question

I thought I would ask the experts a question.

If you were flying from New Zealand to Sydney, Australia would you fly Qantas or Air New Zealand if cost was not an issue?

Thank you for your help with this.

Thanks,

Keith

It’s very simple in my opinion - it very much depends on your affiliation and status with the airline groups ie One World and Star Alliance as that will determine how they treat you

If you hold One World status go with Qantas

If you hold Star Alliance status go with Air NZ

It’s only a 3 hour flight so it’s not a big deal and the service levels and seating is very similar on each of them

I would choose Qantas, but I have Qantas Club and frequent flier memberships.

Air New Zealand is very nice to fly. They do, however, have multiple class categories. A mix of full service and pay for everything. Be careful of the fare grade and inclusions.

I am also still in recovery from the 4 legs Mel-Auck-LAX-Auckland-Melb a few years ago. Every leg we saw the Richard Simmons safety briefing.

Being only a 3 hour flight and with both lines very similar , choose the one that suits your time frame . They also operate subsidiary lines .We have on occasion booked Qantas and its been on a Jet Connect flight.

We have on occasion booked Qantas and its been on a Jet Connect flight.

Jet Connect operate the aircraft but you would have flown on a QF flight and purchased your ticket from Qantas or one of their sales agents. Jet Connect is not a commercial airline

If cost was not an issue flying from NZ to Sydney, I'd fly Emirates first ;-)

But just from those two options, I'd go Qantas, but that's due to FF programs and a distaste for NZ after Ansett, plus their seating arrangements and some other aspects. As above, I'd look into flight specifics and what class you're flying.

Similar to above, I would fly QANTAS because of ff points & status level. That aside, I would have no issue with AirNZ.

I find though that they both typically use 737 aircraft, which I find less than ideal for a 3 hour flight, particularly the number of toilets.

I travel to NZ fairly often on business, and I'm with 'The_Big_M' and prefer Emirates (to AKL & ChCh) - the A380 is much better suited to 3 hr flights.

If cost was not an issue flying from NZ to Sydney, I'd fly Emirates first ;-)

Good luck with that strategy - Emirates cancelled the A380 service Syd-Auck last July....

https://www.ausbt.com.au/emirates-axes-sydney-auckland-airbus-a380-flights

I still say it depends what airline consortium he has status with - that's about the only differentiator otherwise both are very similar and it's only a 3 hour flight

I find though that they both typically use 737 aircraft, which I find less than ideal for a 3 hour flight, particularly the number of toilets.

I travel to NZ fairly often on business, and I'm with 'The_Big_M' and prefer Emirates (to AKL & ChCh) - the A380 is much better suited to 3 hr flights.

See my post above- the A380 to Auckland is no more...

That same article I linked to notes that Qantas will fly some of the flights using the Airbus A330s which have better J class seats than the 737s

See my post above- the A380 to Auckland is no more...

You learn something new everyday :) Just checked & yes my last two trips in Aug & Oct were on QANTAS.

I hope they keep the A380 to ChCh service - I am booked for Jan 2019 :eek: for land tour prior to our Radiance cruise.

Good luck with that strategy - Emirates cancelled the A380 service Syd-Auck last July....

I'm aware of that. However, the OP just said "NZ" to Sydney, and CHC to Sydney still operates, so that strategy still works. It's not stated which NZ city they're flying from.

Having been on several Airlines, Qantas, Air NZ, Singapore, Cathay, Virgin, Thai, IMO Qantas is over rated, lazy cabin crew and way overpriced. The main reason reason Aussies fly with Qainta..e is because they have not had a decent crash.:')

For instance in a couple of months we are flying Cathay Pacific Business Class to LHR and return to Syd, Boeing 777-300ER @ $5,500. What does our national carrier demand for same return flight? Can you believe $8000. Come in Spinner.:evilsmile:

Our last Qantas international flight in April last year, KH-Syd, was a shocker, old Boeing 747 circa 1974, broken seat, even in in business class, lazy, incompetent mostly, cabin crew, ordinary tucker.

I would if I had to fly Qantas interstate as we have quite a few Qantas FF points, but never long haul with them.

I also flew back Qantas business from HK after the QM cruise. Rather an old aircraft, but no issues with the crew or service.

The year before I flew Q business to and from Tokyo. A330 was so superior. Service was also superior.

I also flew back Qantas business from HK after the QM cruise. Rather an old aircraft, but no issues with the crew or service.

The year before I flew Q business to and from Tokyo. A330 was so superior. Service was also superior.

Business on their refurbished A330s is their top/2nd top business cabin (depending how you consider the 787s).

Unfortunately they also have a large number of much older, less impressive business products.

'74 Model might be a bit of a stretch, would have been a 400 series, Boeing didn't start building them until 1988.:D:D

Agree about the on board service though.:D

Yes 747 - 400, yes 88 model then. Perhaps a 1788 model even, lol.:loudcry:James Cook, Pilot.

747-200 models first up, I was at Mascot to see the inaugural landing, prangs everywhere on General Holmes Drive, all the rubber necks.:evilsmile:

And I probably should have listed the city we were flying from.

I booked the flight yesterday.

Many think NZ ends at the Bombay Hills...I don’t but did assume it was Auckland - was I correct? - and if you’re comfortable saying, who are you flying with - and why?

Many think NZ ends at the Bombay Hills...I don’t but did assume it was Auckland - was I correct? - and if you’re comfortable saying, who are you flying with - and why?

Yes, Aukland it is.

I ended up going with the suggestion that yo and a few others made and that was simply to pick the airline that the carrier I normally use is affiliated with. I did do due diligence though and looked at the other often mentioned airline and as it turned out the times of the flights also were preferred to me with the airline that our airline is affiliated with.

So those were the two deciding factors.

If it was a long haul flight I might have looked at other options but given that this is about a 3 and 1/2 hour flight and there were two viable choices that was good enough.

Am I right that Sydney is two hours back from Auckland? I know I can look it up but haven't yet.

Keith

Am I right that Sydney is two hours back from Auckland? I know I can look it up but haven't yet

Yes that's correct - for almost all of the year. The exception being a few weeks at the time that both countries move to and from Daylight Savings time - the dates for each country vary by a week or two