Late flight arrival

Hi, we are on the Discovery 2 Adriatic Explorer in October. Our flight doesn't get into Corfu until 21.00hrs with the ship sailing at 23.00hrs.

I assume the ship will wait for people off this flight, but how can they do safety drill before sailing?.

I also assume the only dining option for us will be the buffet.

I've read that "all aboard" is roughly two hours before sailaway, so you can imagine my anxiety, lol.

The ship will definitely wait for you and you will probably do the muster drill in one of the lounges Yes I think the MDR will be closed by the time you arrive but don't worry you will be able to eat somewhere

All aboard is half an hour before sail away but this won't apply to you if your flight is delayed - don't worry

We had a similar dilemma on Discovery 2 last October.(Tenerife) Our flight arrived about 21.40 and ship was due to sail at 23.00.

It so happened that Thomson/Tui were changing to Marella during this cruise. They decided to keep us in port that night and the following day to repaint insignia etc.

Embarkation was a breeze, as we were the last flight/coach transfer to board. Walked straight aboard and cases were there within 10 mins.

The buffet was open with full choice and many people were still eating.

As it is all Thomson (Tui and Marella0 now, am sure the ship would be held until all flights had arrived and passengers embarked.

I can't quite remember but think our drill was postponed until the following morning, as we didn't sail till the next evening. Have a feeling I read somewhere that there is usually a late drill for late comers.

Is your flight with one of the cruise lines packages. If so I wouldn’t worry. If you booked your own flight, anything can happen. Long lines in customs, delayed flight, lost luggage, etc. Not to be a negative Nancy, but you are really rolling the dice on a same day flight. We always arrive at least a day or so before the cruise if any of the above should happen. From my observations the ship does not wait unless you flew through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This lady is flying TUI airlines and taking a TUI/Marella cruise as a package and this is totally different to what happens on other cruise lines which if you knew Marella cruises you'd know. Please don't confuse the questioner if you don't know the answer

Your first full day is a sea-day, so Thomson are happy to run with tight flight timings.

If that means the ship has to leave late they can easily make up time and arrive at Koper on-time - if she left on time she'd have to make about 14 knots. She can cruise at 24 knots!!

So the ship will most certainly wait if your flight is late.

And being the last flight of the day, it's very probable it will be late - but no worries :).

You will not go hungry, even if you don't get there until the wee small hours, because something (probably the buffet) will stay open for a plane-load.

I don't know about you rmuster drill.

Mebbe as soon as you arrive.

Mebbe the ship won't sail til next morning.

JB :)

Well excuse me know it all Vital Signs. So glad you’re an expert!

Vitalsign only gave the correct factual information, exactly what the origional poster required, too many people give the wrong or misleading answers and only cause confusion.

LMW1330 - Thankyou

Thomson Spirit Oct 2005 Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh

Thomson Celebration Jan 2007 Red Sea Magic

Ocean VillageFeb 2008 Western Caribbean & Central America

Ocean VillageAug 2008 Eastern Med

Ocean Village 2 Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean

Ocean VillageMar 2010 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Dream Feb 2011 Eastern Caribbean & Cuba

Thomson Celebration Aug 2011 Eastern Med

Thomson Celebration Apr 2012 Red Sea Magic

Thomson CelebrationApr/May 2012 Repo Sharm el Sheikh to Marmaris

Thomson Dream Feb 2013 EasternCaribbean

Thomson Majesty​​Nov/Dec 2014 Colourful Coasts Canaries

Thomson Dream Jan/Feb 2015 Western Caribbean Panama & Cuba

Thomson Dream Apr 2015 Transatlantic Sunset

Thomson Majesty​​June 2015 Hellenic Classics

Thomson Celebration Sept 2015 Adriatic Affair

Thomson Dream​​Jan 2016 Mayan Treasures/Cuban Revolution

Thomson Dream​​April 2016 Atlantic Adventure

Thomson Dream​​June 2016 Iconic Islands/Adriatic Explorer

Thomson CelebrationJan 2017 Cities of Gold

Thomson Dream​​April2017 Atlantic Daydream

Thomson Spirit​​June 2017 Classical Greece

Thomson Majesty Sept2017 Med Medley/Treasures of Med

MarellaCelebrationJan 2018 Caribbean Gems/Coral Islands

Marella Discovery 2 April 2018 Cuban Fusion

MarellaDiscovery 2 April 2018 Atlantic Discoveries

Marella Dream May 2018 Spanish Delights

Marella Discovery 2June 2018 Aegean Meze

MarellaDream​​Sept 2018 Mediterranean Medley

I am flying with tui, the whole package is sold by them.

I did think they'd wait , but, my goodness they make it tight!

Take it from me you have absolutely no worries, the logistics of thomson/tui/marella are one of their great strengths/plus points , even in the extremely rare out of their control circumstances they will still get you to the ship at the earliest opportunity (for example like a sudden airport closure )

I am flying with tui, the whole package is sold by them.

I did think they'd wait , but, my goodness they make it tight!

That flight will have been arriving at that time all through the summer season so by the time you go in October they will be well used to waiting for it. The port is only about 20-30 minutes from the airport. Are you flying from Glasgow? We are and our flight also arrives at 9pm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

This thread put me at ease as i have booked for next year in May on the Discovery. we arrive at 19:45 in corfu ,if on time , and the ship is supposed to leave at 2300. gulp :). Thanks for this thread.

Happened to us a couple of years ago flying from Luton to Corfu to pick up the Dream.

We were 10 hours late, arrived on the Dream at 5:30am the following day. This was due to two aborted take offs and awaiting a part to arrive from Gatwick. The captain assurred us the boat would wait.

The ship waited and sailed at 6am instead of 11:45pm the previous day. Day at sea was a bit wasted as in bed till midday.

Well excuse me know it all Vital Signs. So glad you’re an expert!

I think you are best taking vital signs advice as the other one seems to have spit the dummy out .