MSC Seaside seems like the cheaper version of Divina but with a side of sewage

faiz23

I am on the MSC Seaside currently and have been on 2 cruises with MSC on the Divina. I have also been on 2 cruises with Princess and want to share my experience.

For anyone that has sailed on the Divina they will tell you the Seaside is a cheap knockoff compared to the elegant Divina.

The Balcony rooms are tighter and sofa bed is smaller compared to Divina. Good luck using the bathroom if you are over 5'8". The shower is so small that you can't even move around without accidentally opening the shower door. I only weigh 155lbs and can't imagine what my brothers or friends reaction would be to the size of the bathrooms.

Lower number of power outlets in the room and no way to access HDMI (source menu is missing) on the TV.

The dining rooms no longer have the charm and chairs are super cheap / decor is average.

No more Pizza bar where you can get amazing pizza pies made fresh just for you. Your only option is to get some very basic and bland pizza in the buffet.

The sewage smell is still an issue on the ship and is unacceptable for a ship that is 4 months old

The new reservation system sounds great on paper for the entertainment but what they don't tell you is they will give your seats away if you don't show up 5 min before.

The theater is much smaller and due to them shrinking everything this means 3 dining times and 3 show times.

Even employees are complaining that the three round of feeding folks is really stressing them out compared to the 2 on the Divina.

Overall the MSC product has been diluted and is nothing like we experienced with DIVINA.

I will be spending my hard earned dollars on a product that is consistent and is focused on the passenger instead of their profit margins.

#BringBackDivina

I am on the MSC Seaside currently and have been on 2 cruises with MSC on the Divina. I have also been on 2 cruises with Princess and want to share my experience.

For anyone that has sailed on the Divina they will tell you the Seaside is a cheap knockoff compared to the elegant Divina.

The Balcony rooms are tighter and sofa bed is smaller compared to Divina. Good luck using the bathroom if you are over 5'8". The shower is so small that you can't even move around without accidentally opening the shower door. I only weigh 155lbs and can't imagine what my brothers or friends reaction would be to the size of the bathrooms.

Lower number of power outlets in the room and no way to access HDMI (source menu is missing) on the TV.

The dining rooms no longer have the charm and chairs are super cheap / decor is average.

No more Pizza bar where you can get amazing pizza pies made fresh just for you. Your only option is to get some very basic and bland pizza in the buffet.

The sewage smell is still an issue on the ship and is unacceptable for a ship that is 4 months old

The new reservation system sounds great on paper for the entertainment but what they don't tell you is they will give your seats away if you don't show up 5 min before.

The theater is much smaller and due to them shrinking everything this means 3 dining times and 3 show times.

Even employees are complaining that the three round of feeding folks is really stressing them out compared to the 2 on the Divina.

Overall the MSC product has been diluted and is nothing like we experienced with DIVINA.

I will be spending my hard earned dollars on a product that is consistent and is focused on the passenger instead of their profit margins.

#BringBackDivina

Excellent points that is my feeling exactly. Everyone that we talked to last week which includes guest and employees favored the Divina over the Seaside. We were in the YC interior and the shower was the smallest shower we have ever encountered and i have the battle scars to prove it. I second that "BRING BACK THE DIVINA" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing...2nd day on ship and already listing complaints..... Everything stated is no surprise and has been mentioned numerous times already. So you shouldn't be surprised if you've been active on these boards. Nothing like giving it a full week before providing a balanced summary. Maybe you should get off tomorrow in Jamaica. I know Carnival offers 100% guarantee if you request off the ship due to dissatisfaction by 1st port of call.

Every single one of these complaints has been refuted by past passengers in the last couple of months. I give this post zero credibility. Sorry. [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every single one of these complaints has been refuted by past passengers in the last couple of months. I give this post zero credibility. Sorry. [emoji52]

FWIW: I'm thinking the only three I would refute:

The showers are not all that small.

And, yes, they do tell you that your seats will be given away if you don't show up 5 minutes before the show starts.

The sofa in our cabin was not smaller, it was longer. In fact so long that there was maybe 8 inches between the couch and the sliding doors of the closet.

One surprising item, he did not mention, was the lack of storage in the cabin and the fact that the sliding door on the right side of our closet only opens about 8 inches. (We were on for 2 weeks, so maybe the storage would be sufficient for a 1 week cruise)

With all that said...Despite all the bugs that needed to be worked out, we did enjoy our cruise and think that once the staff (at least the ones who remain) gets more experience things, will go smoother.

The Seasides design is very different from Divina. Divina is simply elegant. Seaside is more sleek and modern. Which one you think is nicer, would depend on your taste.

The dining room food and service is on par with Divina and that was not great, in our opinion.

Captain Massa and Andre are great! And the entertainment staff were really good. We had both the Capt. and Andre as well as some of the other staff on Divina, so it was nice to see them again on Seaside.

JMHO

Edited by suzyed

This post made me laugh. "Cheap knockoff".. Umm do you have any idea how much the Seaside cost to build? I don't really care what your frame of comparison is, the Seaside cannot be called "cheap" in any way. I also have to laugh a bit when I hear people complain about the lack of a pizza bar. On so many Divina reviews, people complained that you had to pay for the pizza at the pizza bar. That pizza restaurant wasn't even all that popular because I am assuming most people would prefer to get the free pizza in the buffet. I really do hope the pizza in the buffet on the Seaside isn't "bland" as you say. I can't really say I have ever had bland pizza before.

To the other posted requesting the Divina come back.. good news! She will be back next winter for a full season of 10/11 night cruises.

I'm thinking the only two I would refute:

The showers are not all that small.

And, yes, they do tell you that your seats will be given away if you don't show up 5 minutes before the show starts.

Personally I have no problem with refusing latecomers a seat, I can’t stand that and think it’s rude. But the one that takes the cake is the second paragraph. Of all the things I’ve read about this ship, including people who had a bad time, they universally said that the ship itself was amazingly beautiful and glamorous. For somebody to say that it is cheap is, I’ll say this charitably, counterfactual. I’m sorry, but like I said, this post is devoid of factual information.

Personally I have no problem with refusing latecomers a seat, I can’t stand that and think it’s rude. But the one that takes the cake is the second paragraph. Of all the things I’ve read about this ship, including people who had a bad time, they universally said that the ship itself was amazingly beautiful and glamorous. For somebody to say that it is cheap is, I’ll say this charitably, counterfactual. I’m sorry, but like I said, this post is devoid of factual information.

I don't think it looked cheap....just sleeker and more modern than Divina.

And I don't have a problem with them giving away your seat if you don't show up on time for your reservation. I thought the shows were fantastic!!

The first post appears to be made up from contributions by previous posters and I doubt that the person who added it has been anywhere near the ship.

As for those shouting bring back Divina, to my knowledge the ship still sails out of Miami until it heads back to Europe.

Why would people go on Seaside and expect it to be like Divina, clearly they are people who have not done their homework on the ship.

Excellent points that is my feeling exactly. Everyone that we talked to last week which includes guest and employees favored the Divina over the Seaside. We were in the YC interior and the shower was the smallest shower we have ever encountered and i have the battle scars to prove it. I second that "BRING BACK THE DIVINA" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope that you are right about the Divina since our next cruise will be on her.

The problem for you is that you can't book a YC interior on Divina!

ZERO issues in shower or bathroom on Seaside.

DH is 6'7" and not a thin build plus bum knees.

Maybe these posters have severe disabilities?

I know many that are posting complaints and perpetuating false information that have Never been on Seaside.

Standard balcony cabin...

Plus no issues getting into closet, yes the sofa was close to the sliding doors....but we prefer the extra floor space in cabin and balcony...like the few seconds required to put up or retrive items from the closet...how does the narrow space become an issue?

Life is good...enjoy your cruise!

I am six feet tall and had no issues using the showers on Seaside. None.

Not sure how more obvious they can make it that show reservations are only guaranteed up to five minutes before show time. Its there. Agree that the booking system is super simple. I thought having three options per evening to see the shows was a wonderful convenience. What is wrong with more options?

"Employees are complaining"? Out loud? In front of customers? Strange, and quite unprofessional. We just experienced a very happy crew.

We were on Seaside in mid January amidst the height of "horrible smell" mania and found the reports to be greatly exaggerated. One time smelled a noxious odor while waiting to disembark in Nassau down in the area where you get off of the ship. By the time we returned from our day it was gone.

Thought the Seaside compared very well to our previous cruises on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

We were in the Yacht Club on Divina.

We will also be in the Yacht Club on Seaside. I consider the fact that the YC restaurant on Seaside (is it called LeMuse also?) is right in the confines of the YC a huge plus. Happy we won't be making that long walk for breakfast and dinner.;)

Mot too long ago, I thought someone posted a pizza menu from Seaview. I even believe it could be delivered to your room. Am i wrong on this???

OP of course entitled to that opinion but good lord, these are two vastly different ships, and like always some pluses and minuses. The title of OP’s post seems to be on purpose over the top, an agenda?

We are onboard SS now, and have sailed divina. They are both wonderful. We are scheduled back on divina in Nov and SS a year from now. Can’t wait for either.

The staff are as nice as can be. I’m sue with a crew of perhaps over a thousand there will be some to complain, as would be true on any line, but we have only seen smiling faces.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am six feet tall and had no issues using the showers on Seaside. None.

Agreed. My brother-in-law is 6'4 and had no issues fitting into the shower. Perhaps its not an issue of height they are having but rather one of width. That said. Pretty sad if you complain that a shower on a cruise doesn't fit your 300 lb frame.

"Employees are complaining"? Out loud? In front of customers? Strange, and quite unprofessional. We just experienced a very happy crew.

Same here. All of the staff I interacted with were very helpful and friendly. Perhaps it is just a matter of being more positive with your request. If you start of grumpy and confrontational things don't usually go that well.

We were on Seaside in mid January amidst the height of "horrible smell" mania and found the reports to be greatly exaggerated. One time smelled a noxious odor while waiting to disembark in Nassau down in the area where you get off of the ship. By the time we returned from our day it was gone.

Agreed completely.

Not too long ago, I thought someone posted a pizza menu from Seaview. I even believe it could be delivered to your room. Am i wrong on this???

OK-I found the thread. Seaview does have pizza delivery if you look at the bottom of the page and go to the link of all the menus posted. So-to the OP-I do believe there is more options for pizza then just the buffet.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55275626&postcount=1

ZERO issues in shower or bathroom on Seaside.

DH is 6'7" and not a thin build plus bum knees.

Maybe these posters have severe disabilities?

I know many that are posting complaints and perpetuating false information that have Never been on Seaside.

Standard balcony cabin...

Plus no issues getting into closet, yes the sofa was close to the sliding doors....but we prefer the extra floor space in cabin and balcony...like the few seconds required to put up or retrive items from the closet...how does the narrow space become an issue?

Life is good...enjoy your cruise!

LOL.... I m actually finding some of the exagerated negative feedback amusing. Not saying certain things don't meet other peoples expectations (cause its impossible to please everyone!!). I can see how 1st time cruisers may run for the hills after reading some of this stuff. Not me....been on close to 20 cruises,on numerous lines, and NEVER had a bad cruise experience....and I don't expect this to change when I cruise on Seaside later this month

LOL.... I m actually finding some of the exagerated negative feedback amusing. Not saying certain things don't meet other peoples expectations (cause its impossible to please everyone!!). I can see how 1st time cruisers may run for the hills after reading some of this stuff. Not me....been on close to 20 cruises,on numerous lines, and NEVER had a bad cruise experience....and I don't expect this to change when I cruise on Seaside later this month

So, you are sailing on Seaside for the first time later this month?

I'm wondering how you are "finding some of the exaggerated negative feedback amusing". How do you know they are exaggerated? Surely with all your happy cruising experience, you are aware that it is not always ALL Sunshine and Butterflies? There are usually some items that can be improved upon and whether they bother you or not is pretty subjective.

This post made me laugh. "Cheap knockoff".. Umm do you have any idea how much the Seaside cost to build? I don't really care what your frame of comparison is, the Seaside cannot be called "cheap" in any way. I also have to laugh a bit when I hear people complain about the lack of a pizza bar. On so many Divina reviews, people complained that you had to pay for the pizza at the pizza bar. That pizza restaurant wasn't even all that popular because I am assuming most people would prefer to get the free pizza in the buffet. I really do hope the pizza in the buffet on the Seaside isn't "bland" as you say. I can't really say I have ever had bland pizza before.

To the other posted requesting the Divina come back.. good news! She will be back next winter for a full season of 10/11 night cruises.

Personally I am sad to hear the pizza place is gone. Absolutely no comparison to the pizza there to what they served in the buffet. First time on Divina we didn't pay for pizza. Second sailing we did, their yard of pizza, yard of beer type thing. The pizza was fantastic, was really hoping for the option in May.

OK-I found the thread. Seaview does have pizza delivery if you look at the bottom of the page and go to the link of all the menus posted. So-to the OP-I do believe there is more options for pizza then just the buffet.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55275626&postcount=1

Just to clarify - Seaview hasn't sailed, yet!

So, you are sailing on Seaside for the first time later this month?

I'm wondering how you are "finding some of the exaggerated negative feedback amusing". How do you know they are exaggerated? Surely with all your happy cruising experience, you are aware that it is not always ALL Sunshine and Butterflies? There are usually some items that can be improved upon and whether they bother you or not is pretty subjective.

Because when I cruise I go with an open mind and not with inspector/meal critic attitude. I realize there will be some situations which could have been handled better and meals which may not suit my taste. I read reviews which are 100% differing???? I also read similar reviews on other boards about other lines inconsistency. I've cruised long enough to understand that the "majority" of the time....these negative/con comments either didn't impact us or I did not come across.....

I had some doubts, based on early feedback, when we were thinking of booking this cruise. I hedged my bets by booking a YC cabin.....figuring this experience will still be of high quality and consistency and equal/better than the dedicated area experiences (i.e Haven on NCL) on other lines at a much lower price point. More importantly if you are accustomed to a good quality balcony on other lines..... YC is almost equal to the cost especially when bringing a 3rd passenger as we are. Finally...I know MSC will be a little different to the N American cruiselines and have a more international passenger feel. I cruised Costa 2x in the late 90's..... and we enjoyed the difference.....Its been 20 years of the same and continued watered down experience on the other lines. Looking forward to experiencing a different vibe and feel on MSC.

Edited by lcpagejr