Fly in or drive in = Cape Liberty NJ

LSKC

We are in Ontario. About 6 hour drive to port. Trying to decide if it's easier to just make the drive back and forth or fly in from nearest Airport (Toronto).

1) If we drive, what is the cost of parking for a 5 night cruise (with Royal Caribbean anthem)

2) What is the drive like? We will either drive down day before or get up nice and early and arrive straight to the parking/pier at 10:30-11am for check-in.

3) If we fly into NY La Guardia the cost is currently at $250/pp round trip. From this airport...what are the logistics of getting from NY Airport to the pier/hotel near the pier. Cost of Uber? Is there any other easy mode (remember we aren't familiar with NY/NJ and city transit/driving, etc.

4) while we are at it... I think if we arrived a day early (either by car or plane) I'm the type that will want to likely have a hotel near the cruise port. What comes recommended in the moderate price range?

Thanks.

We are in Ontario. About 6 hour drive to port. Trying to decide if it's easier to just make the drive back and forth or fly in from nearest Airport (Toronto).

1) If we drive, what is the cost of parking for a 5 night cruise (with Royal Caribbean anthem)

2) What is the drive like? We will either drive down day before or get up nice and early and arrive straight to the parking/pier at 10:30-11am for check-in.

3) If we fly into NY La Guardia the cost is currently at $250/pp round trip. From this airport...what are the logistics of getting from NY Airport to the pier/hotel near the pier. Cost of Uber? Is there any other easy mode (remember we aren't familiar with NY/NJ and city transit/driving, etc.

4) while we are at it... I think if we arrived a day early (either by car or plane) I'm the type that will want to likely have a hotel near the cruise port. What comes recommended in the moderate price range?

Thanks.

1). $20/day

2). Others will answer. Driving same day is not recommended.

3). Car Service but not Uber for a NY to NJ trip. About $120 each way with tolls and tip.

4). What would your hotel budget be? 2 people? Seniors or Canadian AAA? Exact date you would need a room? If you're parking at the port, you can get more reasonable accommodations in the Parsipanny, NJ area, about 45-60 minutes from the port.

Did you only check LGA? EWR is closest to the port, and there’s also JFK if you have those options from YYZ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. EWR would be the Airport of choice for Cape Liberty.

How long of a Uber ride is it from EWR to port? Are there any hotels that you'd recommend that are closer to port than 40-60 minutes?

On a Saturday morning it should be 15-30 minutes depending on the backup at the port drop off area. The earlier the better for the Anthem.

There are lots of hotels at EWR. What is your exact date and hotel budget? Would you be interested in a Park/sleep/cruise package if you drive or a sleep/cruise package if you fly? Are you just 2 people?

I hate flying. I'd do a six-hour drive rather than fly. (But not the day of, whether I flew or drove.) Very easy to park at Cape Liberty, and your car is right there when you disembark. FWIW, we recently drove to NJ for a cruise; stayed at the Embassy Suites at Newark Airport (very nice hotel, breakfast included), $20 to park at the hotel for one night, then about a half hour drive the next morning to Cape Liberty. Very simple.

Drive the day before - easy drive. As others suggested an hour outside port is fine for a hotel. Less hassle than flying, no luggage weight restrictions. This is one of our favourite cruises as we love the fact we can drive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

I have done this drive from the Toronto area to the port. It's not something I would do in the middle of winter but if you are heading out between Mid April and Mid November you should be fine.

1. Cost of Parking:

$20 onsite. This puts you about 100 feet from the ship! Really handy if you want to get back home quickly at cruise end as you can be in your car and heading home quickly. If you stay at hotel with a parking promotion add at least one hour to get the shuttle, get to the car, get packed, and get going.

2. What is the drive like:

Drive down the day before and stay at a hotel that's within a 90 minute drive day of port. If you are not going in winter it's an enjoyable drive - major highways all the way down - with lots of areas to stop and take a break from driving.

Even if you fly, I strongly suggest that you fly in the night before. Always allow buffer time for 'stuff happens'.

3. LaGuardia

Can't help you here. The few times I have flown into LGA for work it's been a disaster with significant delays.

4. Hotels

If you drive down you'll find you can get decent hotels at pretty good prices about 60-75 minutes away from the port. I'm thinking of places like Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Hampton Suites. Places that are fine for an overnight. Googlemaps or mapquest can help you find a decent place to stay.

If you want to leave your car there are a number of hotels that offer parking for a week with a night's stay -- but do your research as many do not include a shuttle trip to the port or back and that will add to your costs.

Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

I drove from London to Bayonne in November and February. I've made the drive 10-12 times, it isn't bad. Google maps will generally give you two options, they are similar in time but one is major highway, has tolls and has some nice views but is very up and down (over to Syracuse then down to Binghamton). I prefer the route that goes south first then over to Binghamton. Both are very easy though.

We have stayed at The Holland Hotel, it was $100CAD. It was nice. Very clean, friendly staff, well stocked free breakfast. It has a restaurant next door and a mall across the street, nice area. Parking lot was well lit and it is a nice area. We also spent our evening in NYC. The PATH ($2.75 each way, and 10 minute ride) is right at the mall and we took it to the 9/11 memorial, took the subway up to Central Park, toured around, and took the PATH back south of Times Square. Parking for the night is free, but we left our car there for $100 for the 9 days. Uber was $16 to the port on a Friday and $14 back on a Saturday. There were 4 of us.

*it is 5 minutes from Carlo's Bakery if you are looking for a fun place to stop for a snack

Thanks.

I have both driven and flown. It takes just as long to fly, you know, an hour to drive to airport and park, you have to be there two hours ahead, you have to do the flight, about 1-2 hours, you have to collect your stuff - for a six hour drive, you could be there.

We just came back from Manhattan cruise terminal after March Break. For us, this is a 8 hour drive (London, ON).

We crossed at Lewiston about 8:30 am. We always stay in Parsippany, NJ, although this year while shopping, we noticed that Mount Hope has lots of hotels near the target, walmart, liquor store, etc., so that is the plan for next year. Hotel was a Hampton $140 Canadian including breakfast. We arrived about 3:30 pm, having stopped for breakfast in St. Catharines and lunch... jeez, I already forget where. Near Binghamton anyway.

The next morning, it's an easy 1 hour drive to the port. We parked there for $40 a day, because we wanted to be able to leave quickly at the end of the cruise. For us, it's worth it. Search other posts for parking options that run $20-30 a day, they're out there, we just feel pier parking is totally safe, speedy to get your car at the end, so worth it to us.

We were about 50th in line to disembark at the end of the cruise.

We were in our car by 7:45, and home, south of London, by 5:00 with stops for lunch and snacks. If your drive is only 6 hours, you'd have made it home by 3.

We have tried staying "close to port", but it doesn't really work. Hotels are really expensive if you stay in Manhattan (like over $300 US) and then you have to pay the $280 for parking anyway. We have looked at park and cruise from NJ and then car service into the city from NJ hotel, but that's $100 each way with tips and tolls, so again, not worth it.

I just like the freedom of having my wheels under me, I guess. Most important thing is, don't hesitate to stay an hour out and drive in the day of, really a relaxing and practical option.

Aren't there Park&Fly/Park&Cruise hotels near EWR? If you're resigned to a hotel stay en route you probably will save money compared to a hotel stay plus port parking.

We are staying at the Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport park/sleep/fly. It was right around $200 for the night at the hotel, shuttle to the airport and 10 days of parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums