Tips for room service on ocean cruises in Europe

Songbird04

We are going on the Italian Sojourn cruise on March 31, what currency do we use to tip ? US$ or Euros?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We keep most currencies used/collected abroad and use them for tips onboard (having figured the US conversion value).

Money is money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd like to take a step back and make this question more general. My wife and I have been on 3 Viking Ocean cruises - over 40 nights - and have never ordered room service. While I tip the guide and driver after excursions, the general environment onboard Viking Ocean is so free of cash that I might not have thought of tipping for room service, just as you don't tip in the restaurants. Do others give cash tips for room service on Viking Ocean Cruises? I've certainly seen many guests order drinks while sitting in the Viking Living Room on deck 1, and have never observed tipping for that service.

The bar servers in the lounge are covered by the daily gratuities. If someone went above and beyond, we tipped at the end of the cruise.

We ordered coffee and juice from room service almost every morning and tipped a couple dollars each time. I we’d ordered more, we’d have tipped more. The delivery person always seemed surprised and grateful.

Not sure whether room service delivery people are covered by the daily grats - here is what the Viking Ocean website says: This charge will be shared among the onboard staff who helped support and provide your cruise experience, including the waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, galley staff, laundry staff and others. (Please note this charge excludes bar gratuity; a 15% gratuity is automatically added to bar, beverage, wine and deck service tabs.)

We are going on the Italian Sojourn cruise on March 31, what currency do we use to tip ? US$ or Euros?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We tipped the cruise staff extra in Euros...since they are traveling in Europe, that is what they would spend. The "daily tip"was placed as dollars on our credit card near the end of the cruise.