Horizon potentially delays delivery of new ship?

Mary'sCruise

As far as I can see, this is the latest news. The cruise line won't say anything until the last minute. I can only hope that most people on this sailing purchased insurance. Very stressful for those on the first sailing.

Of course he did. He's the brand ambassador and will say what the people want to hear. :)

I would be a story if his post was "OMG, we have a floating disaster on our hands! If you bought an early sailing you are out of luck." :D:D:D :D

There was a twitter post over the weekend with pic of sign saying Welcome Horizon Crew.

Crew is starting to arrive JH arrived today and is posting videos. He did the atrium about an hour ago. The guest services assistant manager was at the desk.

Of course he did. He's the brand ambassador and will say what the people want to hear. :)

I'd be more likely to believe him than that B/S merchant Walker who just manipulates facts or rumours to take pot shots at the big cruise lines for his sea ambulance chasing firm.

As far as I can see, this is the latest news. The cruise line won't say anything until the last minute. I can only hope that most people on this sailing purchased insurance. Very stressful for those on the first sailing.

No insurance needed if it is the cruise line that cancels. Carnival would reimburse the cruise and non-changeable expenses, an additional future cruise discount, and likely OBC. But I don't see any delay at the moment. Work continues on the ship.

Walker's page is the first I'd heard that there were problems with the Horizon's paint, so not sure how accurate that is. I would more believe that any paint found in the harbor after pumping the dock dry on Horizon would have been because Fincantieri did not clean the dock properly prior to pulling the other ship they were working on out of the dock. Also, not clear whether or not (and I can't find any documentation) of whether Carnival has accepted delivery or not, so while there may be a delay, it would come from Fincantieri's pocket for demurrage costs. Also, any pollution would be Fincantieri's problem, as they accept all responsibility for the ship once it enters the drydock. If the Horizon had been shedding paint, she would have been doing it since she was floated out, and this would not have been big news now.

Walker's page is the first I'd heard that there were problems with the Horizon's paint, so not sure how accurate that is. I would more believe that any paint found in the harbor after pumping the dock dry on Horizon would have been because Fincantieri did not clean the dock properly prior to pulling the other ship they were working on out of the dock. Also, not clear whether or not (and I can't find any documentation) of whether Carnival has accepted delivery or not, so while there may be a delay, it would come from Fincantieri's pocket for demurrage costs. Also, any pollution would be Fincantieri's problem, as they accept all responsibility for the ship once it enters the drydock. If the Horizon had been shedding paint, she would have been doing it since she was floated out, and this would not have been big news now.
The last information I saw was that Carnival has not yet accepted delivery.

Another CC thread had page from Il Piccolo de Trieste dated 14th March which I presume Walker cherry picked his info from before blowing it out of proportion. Totally agree any problems are probably down to the shipbuilders.

That was my impression too, which is why I didn’t post from Jim Walker’s blog.

Even if Walker is right, the hull could be completely repainted between now and April 2 - after all, the typical dry dock is two weeks.

That was my impression too, which is why I didn’t post from Jim Walker’s blog.

Even if Walker is right, the hull could be completely repainted between now and April 2 - after all, the typical dry dock is two weeks.

It's not an easy thing to completely strip the defective paint and mitigate any further contamination, especially with environmental enforcement folks looking over your shoulder. It's a PITA under normal conditions when you can satisfy them with a "don't worry about a thing, we got this". I haven't painted ships, but I spent over a decade painting big trucks, trailers and buses back in the 80s and I can tell you that it takes twice as long to do half the work when your shop comes under the scrutiny of a government agency who shows up with cameras and clipboards, gleeful to get out of the office for as long as they can. Some of these coatings are evil stuff that make smoking and cheap drugs look positively healthy.

It's not an easy thing to completely strip the defective paint and mitigate any further contamination, especially with environmental enforcement folks looking over your shoulder. It's a PITA under normal conditions when you can satisfy them with a "don't worry about a thing, we got this". I haven't painted ships, but I spent over a decade painting big trucks, trailers and buses back in the 80s and I can tell you that it takes twice as long to do half the work when your shop comes under the scrutiny of a government agency who shows up with cameras and clipboards, gleeful to get out of the office for as long as they can. Some of these coatings are evil stuff that make smoking and cheap drugs look positively healthy.

Ship's underwater hull is typically painted with 2 coats of anti-corrosive (primer) and 2 coats of anti-fouling. If the paint is peeling or shedding, it is typically, especially with a newbuild, that it is only the anti-fouling that needs to come off. About 3 days of very high pressure washing will remove any defective coatings, and then 2 days to recoat the anti-fouling (weather dependent). Then about 24 hours prior to getting the paint wet, and you're good to go. It is then incumbent on the shipyard to ensure that the runoff water from the pressure washing is pumped to tanks for filtration and/or incineration prior to putting it back into the harbor. This is a normal part of the shipyard's job, as disposal of paint (whether liquid or flakes blasted off during cleanings and repaintings) has been an environmental concern for decades.

JFTR, I love JW. He may be an ambulance chaser and he may have an agenda, but he's not drinking anybody's Kool Aid, either. LOL

When you've been personally misquoted by him, to fit your statements to fit his agenda, you get a different perspective.

No insurance needed if it is the cruise line that cancels. Carnival would reimburse the cruise and non-changeable expenses, an additional future cruise discount, and likely OBC. But I don't see any delay at the moment. Work continues on the ship.

Will Carnival refund airfares and hotels as well without insurance?

Dear group, anyone else here booked on the Horizon for the 15th of April? Today I found out that our Cheers Package was refunded without any reason... just an email that our Cheers package was inadvertently cancelled and that a refund was processed... I began doing some research and I found the message about the possible delay because of the painting... now I am a bit worried. Anyone else here with a refund without any reason?

Dear group, anyone else here booked on the Horizon for the 15th of April? Today I found out that our Cheers Package was refunded without any reason... just an email that our Cheers package was inadvertently cancelled and that a refund was processed... I began doing some research and I found the message about the possible delay because of the painting... now I am a bit worried. Anyone else here with a refund without any reason?

Has to do with EU VAT and nothing to do with the rumors.

No delays, however ring Fun Shop & get Cheers reinstated at original price without tax as well as OBC for additional currency conversion charges your bank may demand for the various transactions due to their error.