Early port day. When and where to eat?

Sizzlechest

I normally like to eat in the dining room for breakfast. People cruising the Vista have complained about the buffet crowds, so I'm planning to stick with that on my upcoming Horizon (same design as Vista) cruise.

I have an early port day (7 AM) for Turks and Caicos. Should I brave the buffet to get an early start? When is breakfast generally served? Any quick breakfast tips for the Vista? On a previous Carnival cruise, the Mongolian Wok areas were great places to get omelets faster than at the buffet omelet stations.

I agree, room service is our friend on early mornings. We have it delivered and then take turns eating while cycling through the bathroom to get ready. Sure it's not the huge breakfast you often have on a cruise, but a piece of toast, a banana and some yogurt is plenty to fuel us for whatever activity we have planned.

I normally like to eat in the dining room for breakfast. People cruising the Vista have complained about the buffet crowds, so I'm planning to stick with that on my upcoming Horizon (same design as Vista) cruise.

I have an early port day (7 AM) for Turks and Caicos. Should I brave the buffet to get an early start? When is breakfast generally served? Any quick breakfast tips for the Vista? On a previous Carnival cruise, the Mongolian Wok areas were great places to get omelets faster than at the buffet omelet stations.

Why do you have to off the ship by 7? Relax, not much to do in GT but chill anyway. I have never seen the Mongolian Wok making omelettes. The only omelettes are in the MDR or Omelette station.

Go to Ocean Plaza on Deck 5.....Go to the area where they have the Taste samples each evening (at the side entrance into Red Frog Pub). They serve a lighter version of both breakfast and Lunch daily....Both hot and cold dishes..... Nice seating either inside or outside. Best kept secret...or people just don't come down to use it. Sure beats the crowds on Lido. It will be listed as a food option in the daily Funtimes.

does lighter and hot include eggs?

Yes...even eggs benedict. They have french toast, pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, rolls,pastries, cereal, fruit etc Plus juices and coffee. You are also about 50' from Java Blue should you want a specialty coffee which is included with the Cheers program. We

only ate Breakfast in the Lido buffet 1 morning because I wanted a omelette

I've been to GT many times, did I miss something? 7 am? Maybe listen to the roosters crowing

LOL.....The Vista has a quick stop there...7am-2pm So you don't have alot of time on that island with this itinerary_

Yes...even eggs benedict. They have french toast, pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, rolls,pastries, cereal, fruit etc Plus juices and coffee. You are also about 50' from Java Blue should you want a specialty coffee which is included with the Cheers program. We

only ate Breakfast in the Lido buffet 1 morning because I wanted a omelette

wow, never heard of this place, what are it's hours. We generally do not get out of the cabin early enough for the MDR. I hope it's not the crappy powdered eggs they use on the buffet line. If I want scrambled eggs i go the the omelette station and they will make me 3 scrambled soft.

wow, never heard of this place, what are it's hours. We generally do not get out of the cabin early enough for the MDR.

This area was dead space until each evening....so I am glad they did something with it. We stayed in Havana cabins so it was very convenient. I'd run over and grab a coffee from Java Blue...if waiting on my wife.... and then we would do Breakfast at Ocean Plaza. Did lunch there several times too. Also Pig and Anchor is just outside...so you can grab some of that grub on Sea days. Really beats the crowds!! Time was usually 8-10am...listed in Funtimes. I believe it opens an hour earlier on port days

LOL.....The Vista has a quick stop there...7am-2pm So you don't have alot of time on that island with this itinerary_

We had that same short stop last week on Conquest. Time enough for a little shopping and lunch at Margaritaville. Unfortunately we had grandkids with us so we didn't have time to make the trek down to Jack's Shack. :(

Just got back from the Vista Yesterday. We just got off the ship and ate down at Jacks Shack for a early lunch. If you absolutely need breakfast depending what floor you’re on because everyone is trying to get off the ship all at the same time. Most people ordered room service if you’re on a lower deck because there is so many people coming downstairs or If you’re upper level deck and can get to the buffet grab something that’s quick like cereal or banana. The buffet lines were nuts we didn’t eat at the buffet the entire week.

is this only on the Vista?

I think the Dream class has it too...But I read somewhere about a month ago...they were stopping the Taste Bar on some ships. Not sure if that meant just the evening "Taste" or also breakfast and lunch option.

I think the Dream class has it too...But I read somewhere about a month ago...they were stopping the Taste Bar on some ships. Not sure if that meant just the evening "Taste" or also breakfast and lunch option.

It's available in the Magic. Also a salad bar right around the corner during lunch hours.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

Eat in the buffet at 6.

Couldn't that backfire? What if room service is late?

Yes! Room service Backfired for us on the Triumph last year in Progreso. They missed our time, we called, they apologized due to volume of orders. We just canceled and ran up to fix a plate in the buffet. When the hot lines are long in the buffet you can save time at the cold stations for cereal, breads, fruit. Not the same as a full meat and egg deal but did the job in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by KmomChicago

Best guess is DR will open at 7 for breakfast. If you are there at 7, you should be able to eat in 30 minutes or so and then walk off the ship. You can bet there will be people lining the stairs waiting to get the all clear to go ashore...which isn't necessarily right at 7 am. Unless you have some very early excursion booked where you need to be off, its not worth waiting. Relax, and enjoy the MDR.

While 7-2 is a short visit, Grand Turk is a very easy day and you are at the beach as soon as you walk off the ship. We had an itinerary like this and just ate at the buffet when it opened (maybe 6:30?), went back to the room to use the bathroom and get our stuff, and walked off the ship around 7:20. We were still one of the first ones at the beach and we were the first ones in the water. There's really no need to panic. You will have plenty of time to enjoy the day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We get the "free" continental breakfast from room service. You can eat while you get ready. Free Breakfast service would begin at 6am - you choose the time you want it delivered. We've ordered many times and I can't remember a time it wasn't delivered as ordered.