Can I get some packing help for my Norway fjords

dulcemariamar

No matter where we cruise, we always have 4 large suitcases. We always have to worry about a suitcase going astray. And we stay in hotels pre and post cruise.

For the Fjords -- definitely have clothes that you can layer. And waterproof jackets. We take gortex jackets with zippered linings.

We had thin wool/fleece jackets underneath rain jackets. The hairless males had thin wool hats. If it gets too warm, take off layer after layer. Bring a light daypack to store excess clothing on a hike or bus ride. Wear your most comfortable walking shoes/sneakers.

Our ship had no formal nights. When I am on a ship with formal nights, I do a light version: black or silver flats/sandals, black linen pants, nice top, possibly a colorful silk scarf to jazz it up a bit.

Edited by Floridiana

Whatever you choose to pack for your time on-ship, be sure to bring a waterproof jacket and comfy shoes so you can make the most of the beautiful Norwegian scenery whatever the weather.

Flexibility/layers are definitely the key; here in Bergen it really can throw all four seasons at you in a single day!

Have a great cruise :D

My go-to combo for this part of the world is a set of silk underwear, a cashmere turtleneck or cashmere cable knit crew neck and rain/windproof pants of some sorts and water resistant shoes. Plus some sort of rain/windproof jacket that can be tied around the waist, depending on time of the year - single layer or double layer.

Then some sort of insulating extra wool sweater/pullover, scarf, gloves, hat or earmuffs. I like natural fabrics best, after trying all sorts of other synthetic and outdoor gear fleece items. Because you can wash the silk underwear easily and it dries overnight in the cabin, you don't need many combinations of the rest of the items.

Weather in this part of the world is very changeable - even hourly.

Layering is your friend. Multiple layers allow you to build up or peel down according to the changing conditions.

We don't have the luxury of packing light, we always end up with at least 2 large suitcases. Due to the DW foot condition she needs lots of comfortable walking shoes and some other bulky items.

We never understood how some folks can do a 10 day or longer cruise on what they can get into carry-ons. When we did almost 4 weeks in SA, including our 19 day Antarctica cruise, we had to struggle to get everything into 4 large suitcases and still keep them under 70lbs each.

Agree about the layers, natural fabrics and Goretex. Other water resistants are not the same! And buy before you go, my north face goretex Shell was just over 200$ Canadian vs same brand and style in Norway was $1000!

Although Bergen had a H and M store thankfully for my son who forgot his raincoat.

Also have had great luck with the very light merino wool layers Costco sells. Take a light wool scarf and get some real silk long underwear! We did this trip easily with one normal size suitcase. Roll your clothes.

We did Norway the last week of June. The weather was gorgeous and I picked up a little sunburn. That said the week prior the crew mentioned they had nothing but rain. You need to be prepared and pack for warm, wet and cold and then dress accordingly in the morning.

Top layer: Gortex rain jack with hood

Next layer: Fleece (I have a full zip fleece, but could be partial)

Next layer: Cotton long sleeve shirt

Next layer: microfiber turtleneck (very lightweight)

Add hat and gloves

Depending on weather can eliminate any of the above layers. I’ve done several northern cruises with just these...and with laundry available, don’t really need more than 1 or 2 at most of each layer. (Only one fleece.). On the ship (which are usually cold) the fleece is often used. On the ship, I often wear the lightweight poly layer with fleece...or with the cotton blouse as a jacket, etc. Lots of mix and match for any weather with this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I am sailing in cool climate, I usually take a cotton pullover and a wool sweater pullover. I used polo shirts under them. Silk underwear is recommended for Antarctica or other cool climes. If the weather is nasty then I wear a jacket over that while on deck. Has always kept me warm. I use the wool sweater when it is fairly cold. I have a sheer wool scarf which I sometimes use when going out in the wind. Wool sox, wool gloves and wooly hat takes care of the rest of the wardrobe. Hope this helps.

Marianne:):)