Are the computer classes on Oosterdam interesting and useful?

unsinkablemolly

There are different classes. One can be photo editing, one one drive, etc.

They also pass out a handout that gives you a link to the site to recap things if you want.

The ones I have checked out were not on the Oosterdam, but the Westerdam, Rotterdam & Prinsendam.

I only went to one which was pretty good but once she was 1/2 way through I had the info I needed.

BUT what I did see was a lot of help to people whether it was the topic of the day or not.

I was excited to learn of the free computer learning experiences Holland offers. Is it just photo editing or more? Do they offer the classes on port days?:D

To answer your last question first - digital workshops were held every day of my Aug 5-12 Alaska cruise aboard the Amsterdam. Even embarkation day, there was a Q&A session! There were several different sessions each day, though some were repeated on different days. Just a note, the workshops are all geared toward Microsoft and Windows 10.

I scanned the When & Wheres from the cruise - you can find them on my blog. It'll give you an idea of the workshops offered. I second the comment above, that the "Digital Workshop Host" gives lots and lots of hands-on help. I went to 2 different ones - "Make Living Postcards with Movie Moments - Learn how to produce short, creative movie clips, ideal for sharing with friends and family" and "Tell Your Story with Photos - create exciting footage with 3D models or quickly put together a movie with professional looking features". Neither taught me anything new (I'm pretty computer savvy), but they were fun and gave me some ideas.

They tend to be a pain. Instructors may be good, topics may be good, but the students ? The classes are sponsored by Microsoft, so Windows based. Way to many students ask Apple questions. Way to many students go to every class so newbe's can't get in. Way to many student's just sit there to play games on the computers. Way to many student's can't find anything else to do on a 1,000 foot ship. Then there are the student's that know everything and try and show it.

The best program's I have seen will not have consecutive classes.So the room gets flushed out. Then the lost souls start lining up an hour ahead of the next.

The best instructors handle it well and have lots of open class times. Go in and ask questions. Be topic oriented or project oriented. Not good for beginners because of the off topic questions. In the middle of something interesting , someone asks how to do it on their iPad.

I go in, get discouraged and walk out. My wife goes in, sits thru the class and leave dazed and confused.

They are well attended. People on some cruises have lined up outside the door because they want a seat and a computer. On the Zaandam I noticed that they had added more classes. The instructor stayed on topic and was also able to keep people on track. Try one if you like it you can attend the next one if not go do something else.

At each class they give out 'Handouts' of notes for the class.If you go to this page https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/onboard-activities/cruise-activities/digital-workshop.html and scroll half way down the page, there is a link to the Handouts.

Have a look and see if you are interested.

I found some classes useful when I 'upgraded' to Windows 10 from XP as all lessons and the onboard pc's run Windows 10.

Have attended a few computer classes but not on Oosterdam. As a former XP user that migrated to Windows 10, I found the information somewhat helpful. But, not being as computer savy as many, I found that I could not keep up with the instructor as we were trying to follow his instruction on the lab's computers.

At each class they give out 'Handouts' of notes for the class.If you go to this page https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/onboard-activities/cruise-activities/digital-workshop.html and scroll half way down the page, there is a link to the Handouts.

Have a look and see if you are interested.

I found some classes useful when I 'upgraded' to Windows 10 from XP as all lessons and the onboard pc's run Windows 10.

Thanks for the link, VMax1700. I read the "Learn to use your digital camera" handout and can see the classes are too basic for me. I use Apple products, anyway.

Depends on what you are interested in and how well you compare to knowledge level of others in class......for example, we went through one class when we were not particularly savvy on computers and most others were way far advanced although it was billed as beginner type class so the class actually picked up and went so fast that I couldn’t really keep up........but then we had some family in a photo/computer class with others of like mind and expertise and they were thrilled .......

• 2 weeks later...

It also depends on the instructor.

One cruise, the instructor was wonderful on answering questions from both savy and moderate and beginner students and I learned SO MUCH!! however, her handouts were not so good, and I forgot things as I didn't take notes/ thinking it would be in the handout. I attended every class I could!

the next cruise, I was so excited to attend the class, and the instructor was awful. went on and on about the benefits of certain programs, but whipped thru how to access them, or get them and when I asked a question gave such a fast and detailed answer I totally didn't understand. I only attended one more class on a 16 day cruise and it was a waste of my time.