Relaxed dress code for first night?

Borman51

You are definitely entitled to your opinion. But Silversea tea has a wide selection of high end loose leaf teas, far superior to both Regent and Oceania which are just plain old Twinning.

The pastries on Silversea are not as good as Regent or Oceania, I will give you that, but I am referring to tea. As far as pastries, Regent gets the edge because of greater selection.

Agree with you about Silversea. Their tea service is more authentic - the tea selection is much better and the presentation of pastries/sandwiches is also superior IMHO.

Note: I have sailed more than once on Silversea, Oceania and Regent!

The photo , provided by Jim&Stan, does not reflect an everyday tea but one of their special “blowout “ teas where they go overindulgent. Much like the Special Sunday Brunches they have, they are not offered on all cruises only typically the longer ones.

On shore days, we are rarely back to the ship before Afternoon Tea ends. On Sea Days, indulgence in Afternoon Tea may result in no dinner, therefore we rarely partake except for the blowout teas when missing dinner is an acceptable option.

I fully realize that for some of O’s cruisers , which prefer to dine early, Afternoon Tea is their evening meal so it takes on a far greater importance. Likewise for those that dine post 8:00.

We went for an actual cup of tea, not more food. We were not impressed by the tea, where they clearly expected you to dunk a tea bag in a cup of warm water. Oceania clearly doesn’t understand the use of tea pots!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went for an actual cup of tea, not more food. We were not impressed by the tea, where they clearly expected you to dunk a tea bag in a cup of warm water. Oceania clearly doesn’t understand the use of tea pots!

we have always had tea pots of hot water ..yes they do have tea bags not good for some people

we have always had tea pots of hot water ..yes they do have tea bags not good for some people

Yes, they do have a tea pot of warm water (unlikely to still be hot!), but since they present you with a single tea bag each, they obviously do not expect you to put it into the teapot, but into the cup. For one thing, the tea bag should go in before the water and for another, one tea bag in a large pot would not work. And as somebody else said, it should be loose leaf tea, not a bag if they are doing it properly. As I said, they simply have no idea. They would like you to think it is an English-style tea, but it isn’t, it is an American tea!

Yes, they do have a tea pot of warm water (unlikely to still be hot!), but since they present you with a single tea bag each, they obviously do not expect you to put it into the teapot, but into the cup. For one thing, the tea bag should go in before the water and for another, one tea bag in a large pot would not work. And as somebody else said, it should be loose leaf tea, not a bag if they are doing it properly. As I said, they simply have no idea. They would like you to think it is an English-style tea, but it isn’t, it is an American tea!

Then why not ask for as many bags as you need (or hotter water) - they are very accommodating. Why would the water in the tea pot on Silversea be any hotter - do they put it on a heated plate or a burner (they didn't when I cruised with them).

FWIW, I put my tea bag into the pot and even then take it out fairly soon - I don't like it strong. This way everyone can have their tea the way they like it - with 1 bag or 5.

Also, the majority of cruisers on Oceania are American and perhaps that is why they do "American" tea. Just like P&O and Cunard is likely to cater to English preferences (just as they should).

Then why not ask for as many bags as you need (or hotter water) - they are very accommodating. Why would the water in the tea pot on Silversea be any hotter - do they put it on a heated plate or a burner (they didn't when I cruised with them).

FWIW, I put my tea bag into the pot and even then take it out fairly soon - I don't like it strong. This way everyone can have their tea the way they like it - with 1 bag or 5.

Also, the majority of cruisers on Oceania are American and perhaps that is why they do "American" tea. Just like P&O and Cunard is likely to cater to English preferences (just as they should).

Yes obviously we ask for more bags, but that isn’t the point. I know nothing of Silversea’s methods! However the tea should be put in the pot and then boiling water added. Then and only then should they give you the pot.

I realise most are American and it is fine to do it their way, but don’t then advertise it as being ‘English’ afternoon tea!

Yes obviously we ask for more bags, but that isn’t the point. I know nothing of Silversea’s methods! However the tea should be put in the pot and then boiling water added. Then and only then should they give you the pot.

I realise most are American and it is fine to do it their way, but don’t then advertise it as being ‘English’ afternoon tea!

Knowing Oceania as well as I do, I bet you can ask your waiter to put any number of tea bags in your pot and only then add very hot water. I am quite certain that they would be happy to do it.

Edited by Paulchili

Could be the logistics

You could ask for it to be done the English way if you cannot compromise

We put the bag in first at home but we are happy to just put the bag in the hot water/teapot on the ship

YMMV

I suppose one of the differences is that their water cisterns are set to serve coffee, which is meant to be poured onto the coffee at 80 - 85 degrees C, to avoid scalding the beans. Whereas tea has boiling water poured into the tea pot. It's a common theme I've heard over the years. But whatever, having enjoyed the Royal Dutch Tea on HAL, I 'm sure the Anglo-American Tea on O will hit the mark ;)

I suppose one of the differences is that their water cisterns are set to serve coffee, which is meant to be poured onto the coffee at 80 - 85 degrees C, to avoid scalding the beans. Whereas tea has boiling water poured into the tea pot. It's a common theme I've heard over the years. But whatever, having enjoyed the Royal Dutch Tea on HAL, I 'm sure the Anglo-American Tea on O will hit the mark ;)

Good point.

I am certain that you will enjoy the tea and the offerings. Please let us know what you think afterwards.

How (why?) did a question about "Relaxed dress code for first night?" go down the path of the proper way to serve tea? :confused:

The nature of the beast :D

As common an event on CC as are discussions about dress code.

They put the water in the pots way ahead of time, thus it is lukewarm. On Silversea, they put the water from the hot water cistern in the pot when they bring you your tea, thus it is hotter, and they give you a timer for how long to brew the tea, a little minute glass thing.

We’ve had no problems getting luggage to the stateroom.

I often wear nice sandals into GDR. No issues. They don’t want flip flops.

I have worn Capri pants or docker slacks I wore traveling into the GDR. No issues. Put on a collared shirt, blouse or sweater and you are fine.

We prefer the dinner GDR or specialty restaurant experience over the Terrace grill. We enjoy the Terrace for lunch, especially on embarkation day.

Thank you. As a new O cruiser, that sandal thing worried me. My dressy shoes are sandals.

• 1 month later...
We’ve had no problems getting luggage to the stateroom.

I often wear nice sandals into GDR. No issues. They don’t want flip flops.

I have worn Capri pants or docker slacks I wore traveling into the GDR. No issues. Put on a collared shirt, blouse or sweater and you are fine.

We prefer the dinner GDR or specialty restaurant experience over the Terrace grill. We enjoy the Terrace for lunch, especially on embarkation day.

My husband got turned away last night for wearing sandals. Note, I was wearing the exact style of sandals and was not asked to change. Double standards?

Honestly, I don't see why the footwear matters so much. It is only seen when people are walking to their table, and only then if people look down to see it. Once you are seated, it is a non issue. I don't think very many would dress appropriately and then don a pair of ripped runners or dollar flip flops, but I do know SOME would push the envelope.

Baseball caps in Jacques bother me a lot more!

As someone with foot problems, I sometimes wonder if I will need a note from my doctor!

My husband got turned away last night for wearing sandals. Note, I was wearing the exact style of sandals and was not asked to change. Double standards?

Maybe your toes looked better :halo:

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update- we embarked yesterday in Copenhagen. I had decided that we could pack our clothes for dinner in tote bags and give the porters our checked and carry on luggage. While we were checking in, we were told that on the ship, that they would store our carry on while we waited for our stateroom to be ready. I cannot remember whether she said the available storage was at reception or with the ship’s concierge. Next time, we will do that.

All of you that reassured me that our luggage would be delivered well before dinner were right- thank you so much!

A quick update- we embarked yesterday in Copenhagen. I had decided that we could pack our clothes for dinner in tote bags and give the porters our checked and carry on luggage. While we were checking in, we were told that on the ship, that they would store our carry on while we waited for our stateroom to be ready. I cannot remember whether she said the available storage was at reception or with the ship’s concierge. Next time, we will do that.

All of you that reassured me that our luggage would be delivered well before dinner were right- thank you so much!

Must be new, I’ve always seen it stressed that you have to keep your carry on with you.

I think that's the case with "meds" & important documents etc.

Has nothing to to do with that. That’s a different subject. Can you imagine the mess if every passenger wanted them to hold what they didn’t check with the porters?

The statement about the meds etc pertains to what you check.