Relaxed dress code for first night?

Borman51

DH and I are new to Oceania and are sailing the Baltic in late August. Ideally, we would prefer not to have to bring luggage, even carry on, with us as we embark for lunch. We will only bring meds, passports, etc and wait for the rest to be delivered to the cabin. I understand that the dress code calls for no jeans, shorts or sandals in the MDR. Is that relaxed on the first night recognizing that luggage may not arrive before dinner?

I know that we will have other options;

1. Eat in Waves

2. Wait to eat until later, waiting for luggage ( we need to eat as early as possible for dinner due to DH’s diabetes)

3. Wait to board until 3 and bring carry on’s ( we would like to have lunch

And not have luggage with us)

Thanks

DH and I are new to Oceania and are sailing the Baltic in late August. Ideally, we would prefer not to have to bring luggage, even carry on, with us as we embark for lunch. We will only bring meds, passports, etc and wait for the rest to be delivered to the cabin. I understand that the dress code calls for no jeans, shorts or sandals in the MDR. Is that relaxed on the first night recognizing that luggage may not arrive before dinner?

1. Eat in Waves They close about 4-5 PM

2. Wait to eat until later, waiting for luggage ( we need to eat as early as possible for dinner due to DH’s diabetes)

Thanks

They are more flexible on embarkation day

that said the restaurants do not open until 6:30 pm so you may want to grab something for DH at lunch to keep for a snack before dinner if he need to eat earlier or Barristas my have something they usually close by 6pm

I rarely wear jeans on embarkation day so it has not been an issue for me

Thank you so much for the suggestion, LHT28.

Eat at the Terrace Café. Other than the specialty restaurants, we prefer the "al fresco" dining and "a la minute" food prep over the MDR (as well as the prohibition of passengers self-serving items).

in my experience, you may run into issues if you try to go to MDR in shorts. We saw a man turned away from MDR on the first night last year (Regatta, May, Alaska) when he strolled up in shorts and sandals.

Eat at the Terrace Café. Other than the specialty restaurants, we prefer the "al fresco" dining and "a la minute" food prep over the MDR (as well as the prohibition of passengers self-serving items).

Personally, we like the Terrace Cafe as our favorite dinner location, or if you eat early enough, they will delivery your Waves order into the seating area of the Terrace.

Personally, we like the Terrace Cafe as our favorite dinner location, or if you eat early enough, they will delivery your Waves order into the seating area of the Terrace.

Is Waves now open at dinner time??

This must be new

This must be new

I would assume early enough being before 4pm. Isn't that when they close?

Believe it or not at home we frequently have our evening meal around 3-4pm, but we only eat twice a day at home. As opposed to 3-4 times a day on a cruise.

I would assume early enough being before 4pm. Isn't that when they close?

Believe it or not at home we frequently have our evening meal around 3-4pm, but we only eat twice a day at home. As opposed to 3-4 times a day on a cruise.

Well I guess if you eat dinner before 4pm that works

then

This must be new

There was an overlap between Waves and the Terrace Cafe when we sailed on the Marina (but that was some years ago). Not sure what their times are now, but we will find out in late July on the Insignia!

My experience is that you will have your luggage far in advance of dinnertime. We are usually completely unpacked before Muster Drill.

Exactly - your luggage might even precede you in your cabin.

Anything goes for lunch and you'll have your luggage well before dinner.

There was an overlap between Waves and the Terrace Cafe when we sailed on the Marina (but that was some years ago). Not sure what their times are now, but we will find out in late July on the Insignia!

Unusual WAVES usually close at 4pm & dinner in the Terrace start at 6:30pm

If you are talking about breakfast or lunch then yes the opening/closing times overlap

I definitely agree with your idea of carrying as little as possible with you onto the ship. I always see unhappy people with their rolling luggage and a couple of extras struggling to get everything into the Terrace Cafe for lunch. Much easier to eat, wander around the ship and relax without all that stuff.

Mary

1. Eat in Waves

Thanks

Collared shirt/slacks/closed toe shoes are fine.

in my experience, you may run into issues if you try to go to MDR in shorts. We saw a man turned away from MDR on the first night last year (Regatta, May, Alaska) when he strolled up in shorts and sandals.

During the day, fine. At night, no. This is NOT Carnival & that guy should have known better!

We’ve had no problems getting luggage to the stateroom.

I often wear nice sandals into GDR. No issues. They don’t want flip flops.

I have worn Capri pants or docker slacks I wore traveling into the GDR. No issues. Put on a collared shirt, blouse or sweater and you are fine.

We prefer the dinner GDR or specialty restaurant experience over the Terrace grill. We enjoy the Terrace for lunch, especially on embarkation day.

In our experience, yes, the dress code is somewhat relaxed on embarkation night but only to a point.

Even in the specialty restaurants (which lately we've taken to do on that night because reservations are easier to get), it's not quite as dressy. But NEVER shorts and open-toed sandals!

When people don't have luggage available -- it does happen occasionally -- they are more forgiving.

Mura

1. Eat in Waves

Thanks

We have never had our luggage arrive late, but that being said there is always the Terrace Cafe which opens about 6:00 and much more relaxed than MDR with actually more choices than MDR. You can always sit alfresco with a glass of wine waiting for the food service to open.

Heaven forbid, but if you're hungry between 4pm and 6:30pm where can you go? Does Oceania have a tea or some other sorts of snacks available at that time?

Afternoon tea starting at 4 pm:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/dining/afternoon-tea/

Also Baristas, all day, until early evening:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/dining/baristas/

Edited by 1985rz1

Heaven forbid, but if you're hungry between 4pm and 6:30pm where can you go? Does Oceania have a tea or some other sorts of snacks available at that time?

Not only do they have tea but they have the VERY BEST tea at sea - and that includes all of the “luxury” lines and even Cunard which theoretically should know most about tea. :)

That said, tea is not offered on boarding day.