Freighters South Africa to Europe to transports owners with dogs?

I can't say for sure, but I would doubt that any do. First, there is the possible quarantine issue, but if you've looked into flying the dogs, you know about these. But with a ship, you have to look at quarantine issues at every country the ship stops at along the route, and whether this would affect the timely loading/unloading of the ship, which is its primary business.

Freighters are limited to 12 passengers (unless they want to have a doctor onboard), so the crew assigned to passenger needs is very small. On many ships, the officer's steward (cleans the officers' cabins daily) is assigned an extra duty to do the same for the passengers, and the passengers eat in the officers' dining room, so there is no extra galley or wait staff. What I'm saying is that the extra attention needed to transport a pet (making a litter box, cleaning it out daily, etc.) that a cruise ship can accommodate for service animals (and some allow pets) with their large crews, would not be available with the small crew on freighters.

Edited by chengkp75

Chengkp is correct. It is a challenge to book a freighter with your dogs, but a few years ago I had on several occasions passengers who I permitted to take their dogs with them in their cabins, which were large on freighters. Dogs are not too happy without a few parks or trees to walk around, but they do fine and are welcomed by the crew. Be prepared to clean up after the dog. I am not able to comment on what companies or itineraries would be available, but there are some. Check with a travel agent who specializes in freighter travel.. Company policy said that the dogs on my ship should travel in a cage outside, but that is a decision that is not carved in stone. It may be possible, but not probable. If you get a ship that is Okay for you, then you will need to get a lot of vet certificates for the dog. Buen viaje. John

Thank you, Chengkp and Captainmcd!

I figured that the chances are slim, but since there seems to be at least one freighter, the QM2, that takes dogs along going from Europe to the US I thought there might be a chance for one going from SA to Europe. I will check with an agency!

Thanks again!

Thank you, Chengkp and Captainmcd!

I figured that the chances are slim, but since there seems to be at least one freighter, the QM2, that takes dogs along going from Europe to the US I thought there might be a chance for one going from SA to Europe. I will check with an agency!

Thanks again!

Well, I don't think Cunard would appreciate calling the QM2 a freighter.

Try for agencies that specialize in freighter travel. Google searches will bring up a few, we are not allowed to name travel agents on this board.

Well, I don't think Cunard would appreciate calling the QM2 a freighter.

Try for agencies that specialize in freighter travel. Google searches will bring up a few, we are not allowed to name travel agents on this board.

Thanks for correcting me. I obviously got that wrong and better do some more homework on this still. :)

• 3 weeks later...