Status of Ocean Medallion?

denamo

Reliable sources confirm ***** rolling out aug 4 on Caribbean.

Medallions are not being mailed out but will be there at check in.

You can believe me if you wish or just wait to see my live reports.

My sources are on board.

I will remain positive and look forward to seeing how it goes.

We are on for 3 legs so will see the progress.

Don't get me wrong. I very much hope your sources know what they're talking about.

Just been bit in too many tender places by *****. :rolleyes:

After the Regal roll-out I'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Let us know in your blog.

"

The only Roll-out" is when the Regal "rolls" in heavy seas :(. As to the ***** Roll-Out, that seems to be one of the great pieces of fiction to have come out of Princess. If I had the time it would be interesting to attend the CCL Annual Stockholders Meeting and ask, "how much has this fiasco cost the company?"

We were last on the Regal in December which was the day before the scheduled shipwide Roll Out. We will again be on the Regal in September and Princess now calls it the "Ocean Medallion Preview." So nearly a year after their official shipwide "Roll Out" they have moved backwards to "Preview." One wonders if this will soon be relegated to the same place as Happy Hours (rumor says this might be coming back).

Hank

I too hope you are right about the ***** but I just read several on board sources on the Caribbean Princess that say all they are doing is putting up more poorly functioning screens in place of mailboxes. If it all works in two weeks great. Let us know. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am fairly certain that the Carnival execs are not paying for the ***** failure out of their salaries but rather we are. I have noticed the base price in various sales are substantially higher than a year ago

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After the Regal roll-out I'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Let us know in your blog.

The blog previously told us that Royal was ocean ready, with screens outside every cabin

(possibly covered with temporary panels).

I checked this on 2 Royal cruises, and it wasn't true.

The blog previously told us that Royal was ocean ready, with screens outside every cabin

(possibly covered with temporary panels).

I checked this on 2 Royal cruises, and it wasn't true.

I think they just jumped to gun since it was supposed to be ready at one time.

It may be in "tweaking mode" but it seems more like "twerking mode". I was sooooooooooooo looking forward to this technology and they said it had been exhaustively tested. I think it had actually been through rigorous testing but not in real world conditions. This is where marketing people don't get it. Just because it looks good on their end of things doesn't mean it will actually work. Implementation is where the actual work comes into play and when you are handed a bunch of marketing hype without any actual technical input in the process it never works out. It's hard to understand how they missed the basic difference between a building on land and a ship at sea. Ships are metal. Everywhere. Shouldn't they (duh... of course they should have) have thought of this and done their land testing accordingly? Did nobody ever think of this or... did someone try to point it out and was ignored? (Been there, done that. I worked for a state agency for the state of California.

Q: Why would we get rid of our fiber optic link and go to the expense of replacing it with two T1 lines? Don't we already have the capability of around 28 or so T1 lines with our existing fiber?

A: Because your other offices don't have fiber and we want it all to be the same.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ California. My taxes at "work".

I was working on a ship that needed Walkie-Talkies to work all over the ship. We installed a "leaky pipe" that ran top to bottom and acted like a giant antenna. Worked fine.

Maybe we can request Princess to install it on all the ships. :D:D

The problem with Ocean Medallion isn't WiFi-based. ***** is hardwired except for the RFID part.

The problem with MedallionNet isn't WiFi-based. It is Regal's location for half the year.

The problem with both can be summed up in The First Law of Project Management:

The first half of any project consumes 90% of the predicted time and resources.

The second half consumes the other 90%.

• Haha 1

What does the Ocean Ready app have to do with the Ocean Medallion?

From the Google app store:

"Through OceanReady with a booking on a Medallion Class vacation, guests can provide their security

image, travel document information, create a pin code, and answer a pre-cruise health questionnaire

before they even arrive at the terminal"

That "provide their security image" bit is interesting.

How can you find out if your cabin is an ***** on the Regal?

from an earlier post:

Lido 201-212, 214-235 and 301-302 for 36 staterooms

Marina 203, 206-212, 214-239, 241 and 243 for 36 staterooms

Baja 301-312 and 314-337 for 36 staterooms

Caribe 336-337 for 2 staterooms

Total of 110 staterooms which contain 6 Deluxe Balconies, 19 Balconies, 63 Minisuites, 18 Interiors and 4 ADA.

Tom

How can you find out if your cabin is an ***** on the Regal?

If the rumor that Caribbean is to sail full-up ***** on August 4th turns out to be true, figure Regal

to also do so on her 2nd or 3rd voyage after she returns next spring.

Otherwise... the list of existing ***** staterooms has already been posted 4 times upthread, including:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56346589&postcount=76

(and no, there have not been any more added since)

If the rumor that Caribbean is to sail full-up ***** on August 4th turns out to be true, figure Regal

to also do so on her 2nd or 3rd voyage after she returns next spring.

Currently all of the Regal cruises is an ***** Preview cruise. There is no cruise with the ***** Vacation banner on it like what my cruise originally had when i booked it until it was changed a few weeks ago. The Caribbean has no ***** Vacation or ***** Preview cruises like the Regal does. So maybe Princess is not advertising it any more due to the bad roll out they had in the beginning or something else is up.

Is that supposed to be "after she returns, to the U.S., this Fall"Does that mean that somebody has figured out what has caused all these issues?

We will be on the Regal later this year.

Looking forward to it!

D'oh. Yes -- my fingers type "next spring" because that's when I'm on her T/A.

From what has and has not been said, the issue has been that they've been unable to find

the sweet spot between "your door unlocks when you're at the other end of the ship", and

"your door doesn't unlock when you're standing in front of it".

Realize that's it's only a rumor about Caribbean's Aug 4th.

From what has and has not been said, the issue has been that they've been unable to find

the sweet spot between "your door unlocks when you're at the other end of the ship", and

This was one of the things that was addressed. I have a summary in this post or the other medallion post of what was presented to Ruby's management in June. May want to read it as it addresses this problem specifically.

Hahaha!!!!

Yes, would be a big surprise if suddenly they get this thing up and running!

Maybe we can hope for some truth to the rumors.

Did some research, and found these comments in Caribbean's Aug 4 Roll Call

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56502689&postcount=29

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56547260&postcount=39

YMMV

The door opening worked fine on my room as soon as I learned that the door doesn't "unlatch" until you actually touch the handle of the door. If you stand there in front of the door waiting to hear the "click", you'll stand there all day. The door unlatching works just like the door on my Prius. Once I learned that, it worked like a charm.

Tom