Princess "Secrets" 2018

barbpretz

Well, it seems like time to start a new Princess "Secrets" thread. I realize that some of the "secrets" might be repetitious, but some information does change, and people new to Princess might miss information in older threads. I just want to keep the conversation going.

So where do you get the form(s)...it’s per person not per cabin? My husband and I have sailed on Princess before and my best friend and her husband have not. The 4 of us are booked on the Regal T/A in April.... some more OBC would be great! Thanks!

Just go onto your cruise personalizer on the Princess website ... the form is online. You may be too late if they've already booked, though. If the booking is recent, you might be in luck but you'd have to call Princess and ask for it to be applied to the bookings. It will mean an additional $100 between the 4 of you if you are successful, so, it is worth a try.

Anyone can order off the Kid's Menu in MDR.

The Volcano Sundae is excellent!!

Specialty coffees available at Princess Live!, International Cafe and Buffet on Royal class ships.

MDR menus are posted outside the dining room and also at the buffet entrance for that evening...

Deluxe Obstructed Balconies and Obstructed Balconies are listed under Interior cabins for Royal class ships. Sneaky.

Great comfy seating area outside Crooner's on Royal class ships.. Lovely.

Skywalkers is open during the day for quiet space, only no bar service unfortunately...

Just go onto your cruise personalizer on the Princess website ... the form is online. You may be too late if they've already booked, though. If the booking is recent, you might be in luck but you'd have to call Princess and ask for it to be applied to the bookings. It will mean an additional $100 between the 4 of you if you are successful, so, it is worth a try.

If your friends are already booked you can’t take advantage of the referral program you may have a small chance if you call but not likely good luck I always travel in large groups and alway take advantage of it I generally get hundreds of $’s in OBC

Just found out about the Military benefit...$100 onboard credit for our next 7 day cruise...we are Platinum and could have had this all along...I assumed it was for active duty military but it's both veteran's and active duty!

Actually, I'm retired military and received $250.00 OBC military benefit for an upcoming 15 night cruise RT from LA to Hawaii. :)

Actually, I'm retired military and received $250.00 OBC military benefit for an upcoming 15 night cruise RT from LA to Hawaii. :)

Yes $250 for cruises of 2 weeks and over, $100 for cruises under. We Aussie serving and ex servicemen and women also receive it from Princess, as do the New Zealanders, Brits and Canadians, as well as of course Americans. Once you send your proof of service in to Princess, it goes on your profile. I got 3 lots for this years cruises, Sapphire x 2 ad Royal x 1, buys a few bottles of vino in the MDR, although mine just went on shorex purchases.:halo: The left hand of Princess gave it to me and then the right hand took it away. lol. But still very appreciative.

Not a guarantee, but for the past few years - the "big sales" are:

July-August - Sip and Sale (for balconies and above)

Sep-end of Nov - 3 for free sale (OBC, free grats, and free upgrades (same category)). This one is worth waiting for if you will be sailing interior or ocean view.

We shall see if this tip pays off - but if you like to "fish" for an upgrade, I was told - during 3 for free sale, book a Guarantee in the highest room category available for the price you are willing to go (IB for interior as IAs are not included in 3 for free). If the ship sells really well, you have a slightly higher chance of being upgraded to the next category. Of course, you do not have the room of your choice in your category if the ship does not sell out. Was told this was the "upgrade gamblers special". Decided to give it a go for this fall and see where we land.

Don

Yes $250 for cruises of 2 weeks and over, $100 for cruises under. We Aussie serving and ex servicemen and women also receive it from Princess, as do the New Zealanders, Brits and Canadians, as well as of course Americans. Once you send your proof of service in to Princess, it goes on your profile. I got 3 lots for this years cruises, Sapphire x 2 ad Royal x 1, buys a few bottles of vino in the MDR, although mine just went on shorex purchases.:halo: The left hand of Princess gave it to me and then the right hand took it away. lol. But still very appreciative.

Yes, one can earn $50 for cruises 3-5 days, $100 for cruises 6-13 days, $250 for cruises over 2 weeks..but as stated you need to send in your final discharge paperwork to prove you qualify so if it's been 40 years and you don't have that paperwork (or can't find it) then you need to get another copy from a Veterans Office which may take months (Like it did for us, lol). But once you get it approved from Princess you'll always get the onboard credit for all future cruises.

That’s a very nice perk that other cruiselines may not offer....we did get it as well! :)

• 1 month later...
Question about Elite mini bar set up. On a four week cruise, do you get a mini bar set up each week? Or only one set up for entire cruise?

It depends. If it's sold in shorter segments, ie one week sailings, or two 14-night sailings - then you'll get the mini-bar setup, and all the other Elite perks, each segment (Internet based shortest segments and rolls over, etc).

If it's only sold as a four week cruise, you get one set-up.

Great thread, I have a few questions. I referred my brother and sister and their spouses. We are all sailing next year. They have never sailed with Princess; submitted the paperwork. Will we get the OBC on that cruise or do we have to book another cruise and use it there? 2nd question. Someone mentioned that the MDR menus are posted outside of buffet area. Is that correct? Thanks

We are new to Princess, but do have a cruise booked already. I found this in the FAQ's about the Refer-A-Friend program:

Question: Who can be referred?

Answer: Friends and relatives of the Princess past guest who are at least 21 years old and residents of the U.S. or Canada. They may not have sailed previously on Princess, have an existing booking or completed the referral process in the past, and may not be a travel industry partner or employee of Princess Cruises and/or the Carnival Corporation.

Hi -

Princess does a great job in being honorable and truthful about the perks for Veterans and stockholders (shareholder benefit). Veterans: once they have your form DD214 or proof of service, you get the OBC (onboard credit) for each future cruise. - I think they store that info in your Captains Circle account.

Stockholder: for each cruise, you have to fax your "proof" to their special department. In my case, a screen shot picture of the page on my brokerage monthly report, with the Carnival stock (parent company of Princess) circled. I feel like I have to wait until final payment is made to send this in. This last time, within hours, they had posted the credit to my account. You can get both of these credits (more credit for longer cruises) on all cruises regardless of other discounts and deals.

Do NOT expect the same from Royal Caribbean, who, while trying to ride the coattails of Princess - uses stockholder credit as a reward only if they have not already given you some other discount - which is nearly always.

While on board, make a $100 deposit /pp (per person) on a future cruise - and when you take that cruise later on, you will get an OBC, as well as getting to use that small amount as your deposit. I keep a couple of future cruise deposits on the books at all times - refundable if you don't end up booking within their time period (a couple of years, if I recall) -- the math on my next cruise: $200 paid to Princess last year (for the couple) $100 back in OBC, the $200 taken off the ticket price when we reserved-- but we lost interest from our savings account by having Princess hold our money - so deduct about 12 cents. --

It depends. If it's sold in shorter segments, ie one week sailings, or two 14-night sailings - then you'll get the mini-bar setup, and all the other Elite perks, each segment (Internet based shortest segments and rolls over, etc).

If it's only sold as a four week cruise, you get one set-up.

Yes,

Just to add, it does not matter how you actually booked the cruise, as a single cruise or segments.

Just found out about the Military benefit...$100 onboard credit for our next 7 day cruise...we are Platinum and could have had this all along...I assumed it was for active duty military but it's both veteran's and active duty!

Yep. I'm a newbie vet (Navy, 1976 -1982) who used it, It paid for my snorkeling excursion!

Yes, one can earn $50 for cruises 3-5 days, $100 for cruises 6-13 days, $250 for cruises over 2 weeks..but as stated you need to send in your final discharge paperwork to prove you qualify so if it's been 40 years and you don't have that paperwork (or can't find it) then you need to get another copy from a Veterans Office which may take months (Like it did for us, lol). But once you get it approved from Princess you'll always get the onboard credit for all future cruises.

Does it apply to spouse of military? So if I sail but he doesn't, would it apply - or would he have to actually be sailing as well?

Does it apply to spouse of military? So if I sail but he doesn't, would it apply - or would he have to actually be sailing as well?

Only the vet/service member who is listed as a passenger. If he doesn't go, you don't get the bucks.