Anyone recently off the GOLDEN PRINCESS ???

jennymaxgirl

Would love feedback on ship condition and whether you noticed leaks and sewage odors. Been reading lots of concerning reviews about the Golden. Thank you!

We were recently oh the Golden (right after she came out of drydock in Singapore) and did not notice any sewer smells. But there were a few leaks around the ship, one of the most notable right in the middle of the medical center. The ship is certainly showing her age, but we still love the Grand Class vessels and the Golden is one of the few that has an indoor (all weather) pool.

Hank

I've been following several threads as we are booked on the Golden for our next cruise. Yes, there are a lot of older "OMG" threads, but more recent ones have been a lot more positive. Hope you locate those as well as the "it was awful" posts.

We were on in May-June this year. Drips, yes, but they didn't interfere with anything I did. And any sewage smell wasn't anything different from what I've experienced on my other 60+ cruises.

If you're looking for more info on the Golden sailing, I did a "live from" on our cruise. You can find it on my blog here: http://www.debsdays.com/

When you get there you can either search Golden Princess in the "Search this Blog" box or click on the May and June 2018 blog archives.

I wouldn't hesitate sailing on the ship again.

Was on her a few months ago I thought overall she was in good shape for the age. I mean if you want to find something you will however it was clean and we enjoyed it. We use the steam rooms and to be honest out of the whole ship this was a needing a serious make over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are book on her Nov 18 and Feb 19 for two 13 nights, we like the golden and have had no problems having great cruisers on her, would book another cruise on her without a second thought. Yes she was built in 2001, but has things and felt of an older world, which we like. If you are in doubt go on another ship, but remember everybody has an opinion on everything, just like we do.

So if you think these minor issue with stop you enjoying your cruise, remember thing happen even on newer ships.

So it up to you.... and a cruise is what you make of it.

Cheers Don with a G&T

Golden is leaving Princess so the next drydock will be performed by P&O Australia in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your response! We are considering an Alaska cruisetour for 2019, the one that is 7 day Heart of the Rockies plus rail (Canadian Rockies). The only two ships the tour connects to are the Royal and the Golden. I happen to love the Royal, but she has so few outside viewing areas. Big decision!

We were just on the Golden SB from Whittier to Vancouver. Certainly an older ship, and showing age & looking dated in some areas... but nothing that interfered with our trip or the enjoyment of the cruise for us! We are big believers in "the trip is what you make of it", and we had a great time! The ship seemed clean, or cabin was comfortable, the food in the MDR (we sat in the Club level area of the Donatello dining room for most meals) was good, the pizza on Lido was tasty, the coffee at the International Cafe was very good & the treats & snacks from there were enjoyable and appreciated. The shows we saw were about as expected, and the Ultimate Ship Tour was interesting & informative. We loved the views & ports and would do this itinerary and ship again without hesitation.

All of that being said, except for the staff in the Club dining area and an especially engaging guy in the Vines gift shop who went out of his way to be helpful for our small purchases, throughout the ship we found service to be "friendly" (i.e. smiling faces) but indifferent and impersonal. Nothing to complain about specifically - our room was generally made up within a reasonable amount of time, the people at the desk and internet cafe were reasonably responsive when we had a question, bar staff & wait staff brought the drinks we ordered without extremely long waits. Everything was absolutely fine and everyone smiled. However, again except for the Club dining room, none of the service was exceptional - not even in the Crown Grill. I'm quite certain our cabin steward did not know our name, and perhaps I'd expected too much and had an unrealistic expectation that Princess was a step-up from our previous Carnival cruises and that splurging for a club level mini-suite would bring us a touch more of a luxury experience. If you compared to land-based hotels it was certainly better than Motel 6, and I wasn't expecting the Four Seasons, but I'd hoped for more Marriott Marquis than Hampton Inn if that makes sense to anyone.

Thank you for your response! We are considering an Alaska cruisetour for 2019, the one that is 7 day Heart of the Rockies plus rail (Canadian Rockies). The only two ships the tour connects to are the Royal and the Golden. I happen to love the Royal, but she has so few outside viewing areas. Big decision!

I am in the same boat so to speak as you, planning for next year and the only 2 are Royal and Golden. Scared of Golden but hate the thought of fighting for space in limited viewing areas. Decisions. Will most likely go with Golden and enjoy it. Wish they would move Coral or even Island to a Saturday to Saturday departure, instead of Wed to Wed.

Do not be afraid of the Golden. We just got off on the 14th It was one of our best cruises.

Saw a few employees that we knew from other ships. Spent every night in the Wheelhouse, listening to Phoenix Rising. Food and service were good, no leaks. Ship was

in good shape.

Really enjoyed the cruise. We will probably make this an annual affair.

Greg

Do not be afraid of the Golden. We just got off on the 14th It was one of our best cruises.

Saw a few employees that we knew from other ships. Spent every night in the Wheelhouse, listening to Phoenix Rising. Food and service were good, no leaks. Ship was

in good shape.

Greg

Thank you that helps ease my fears

Got off July 7th and really had no problems. Saw one small leak one day being managed, no smells. Absolutely loved all the open spaces, especially Glacier Bay and College Fjord and it was easy to find open spaces to see even for our kids.

in good shape.

Greg

Hi Greg. Long time since I've seen you here. So glad to hear that Phoenix Rising is on the Golden. Still no one to dance with, but I will hang out in the Wheelhouse if they are there. Aloha

We were just on the Golden SB from Whittier to Vancouver. .

Thank you for this informative post. We agree with you comments.

We join Golden (again) in Long Beach in September to sail back to Australia.

May I ask if you would do me a favour please?

What is the current price for 1 Ltr Single Malt Whiskey in the Gift Shop? I remember Glenfiddich was "on special" on the last cruise. Depending on the price, I may purchase onboard or maybe COSTCO in the US and hand them in.

Thanks.

John & Dale Tait :)

All of that being said, except for the staff in the Club dining area and an especially engaging guy in the Vines gift shop who went out of his way to be helpful for our small purchases, throughout the ship we found service to be "friendly" (i.e. smiling faces) but indifferent and impersonal. Nothing to complain about specifically - our room was generally made up within a reasonable amount of time, the people at the desk and internet cafe were reasonably responsive when we had a question, bar staff & wait staff brought the drinks we ordered without extremely long waits. Everything was absolutely fine and everyone smiled. However, again except for the Club dining room, none of the service was exceptional - not even in the Crown Grill. I'm quite certain our cabin steward did not know our name, and perhaps I'd expected too much and had an unrealistic expectation that Princess was a step-up from our previous Carnival cruises and that splurging for a club level mini-suite would bring us a touch more of a luxury experience. If you compared to land-based hotels it was certainly better than Motel 6, and I wasn't expecting the Four Seasons, but I'd hoped for more Marriott Marquis than Hampton Inn if that makes sense to anyone.

Perhaps you didn't understand that the basic "upgrade" with a CC mini is the CC dining. And it sounds like you enjoyed that.

Thanks for the info--we'll be on the Golden in a while, so good to hear you had no major problems.

Anybody know how to contact Phoenix Rising, or when and where their future gigs on Princess will be?

Bruce

I've emailed Joey, with no responses. Best to get a message to them while someone is onboard.

Thank you for this informative post. We agree with you comments.

We join Golden (again) in Long Beach in September to sail back to Australia.

May I ask if you would do me a favour please?

What is the current price for 1 Ltr Single Malt Whiskey in the Gift Shop? I remember Glenfiddich was "on special" on the last cruise. Depending on the price, I may purchase onboard or maybe COSTCO in the US and hand them in.

Thanks.

John & Dale Tait :)

so glad to hear someone else is going on the golden to australia. we are trying to get our affairs in order to make the trip and we were wondering about the ship also.

We've never sailed the Golden.....however friends of ours just returned from a back to back North/Southbound Alaska cruise and came back with some not so great stories. Their hallway was shut down (and the water in their cabin) for half day due to leaks. Also the Explorers Lounge was closed one day due to leaks as well. I think Princess had better take care of their ships or risk a reputation here.

I am looking into the possibility of an Australia / New Zealand cruise in Jan / Feb 2020 on the Golden Princess but see here that she may / is being transferred to P&O. Is there a specific date for this please?

Karen

I am looking into the possibility of an Australia / New Zealand cruise in Jan / Feb 2020 on the Golden Princess but see here that she may / is being transferred to P&O. Is there a specific date for this please?

Karen

Golden Princess last scheduled cruise is a two-nighter from Brisbane to Sydney May 10 -12 2020.

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruise-ship-golden-princess.html