My attempt at a quick review on Carnival Triumph

Thad409

Let me start by saying we've been on many cruises on the fantasy class ships, and enjoyed every one. So this time we decided to upgrade at least we thought to a larger ship which was the carnival Triumph. Embarkation went quick and when we first entered the ship we were told our rooms wouldn't be ready until 130, so we proceeded to the Lido deck to get some lunch which was fine because we had an 1130 boarding because we were some of the first people on the ship. After lunch we explored the ship waiting on our rooms to be ready. It didn't take me long to realize that this ship really didn't have aa cohesive flow of any kind it felt kind a splotchy. The ship decor was dated which I expected from reading reviews on here. So that was no surprise. The cruise Director Simon London was always upbeat and fun to be around. I would give overall dining main dining room and Lido deck a five out of 10 score. Guys burgers were really good. That's only when you could get one due to the long lines . On the formal night in the main dining room we had any time dining we were seated at 6:15 was not waited until a quarter till seven we completed our meal at 8:45 that is completely unsatisfactory. We ate in the main dining room twice on formal night and again on Wednesday night I ordered the escargot and they are the best chewy little morsels I had on the ship, but anything drenched in garlic butter and Parmesan has to be good. The seafood shack was good the best thing we ate there were the boiled shrimp. The shows were OK and that's about all I can say about that. The shows on the fantasy class , Fascination, Elation and Fantasy were much better and seemed more prepared. All in all we had fun but the ship was dated ,lines were long ,food sub par but heck we were on vacation and I wasn't at work so really wasn't that bad. I would definitely go on another cruise with carnival just probably not on the Carnival Triumph. I've already come home and started looking at the website for future cruises. sorry if this review was all over the place I've never done one before but that was my two cents worth

Good job on your first review. I've been on the Triumph 2 times within 8 months and enjoyed both trips. I must admit that I was a little bit leery of it after reading the reviews, especially after realizing that it had BAD reputation. Our experience was much better than the bad reviews and our CD Jess from the US was fabulous. I agree that the food is subpar compared to my first 4 cruises, the last being almost 12 years ago. The ship is definitely showing its age, I would love to cruise it after they "Sunshine it". I still love cruising and like you I'm looking at other cruises to book. Maybe my next cruise I'll write my very first review.

I enjoyed the Triumph though I had nothing to compare it to. The band was good, the CD was fun, any my wait staff and steward were awesome! The biggest plus was we just seemed to have a lot of fun people on board. We met awesome folks fron near home, near where I used to live, and from the midwest. I would definitely sail to Cozumel for Cinco again, and I’d sail the Triumph again.

I agree with all the comments, I guess the older you get the more impatient I get and longer lines bother me more than anything. On the fantasy class ships which has fewer passengers line seems shorter but that might only be in my imagination. As far as service and all that ,other than the one time in the main dining room the crew and the staff were outstanding. we're looking at the sunshine out of Charleston or the miracle out of Tampa. I prefer to do a five day but the miracle is a 7-Day and the 7 day trips weve done,we were just wore out and on the 5-day trips when we got off the ship we wanted one more day, if that makes any sense. My biggest issue is I live out here close to the New Mexico border and my wife refuses to fly so that means we drive everywhere when we go on vacation, so trying to drive down to Florida is two and a half days, I may look at something out of California but prefer the Caribbean. Thanks for the comments

Went on Triumph the past two Septembers. I actually like the entertainment. Old style shows are nice change of pace from all of the playlist shows you get on all of the other ships. And the only ship I've been on with a vegas style magic show. I'd imagine all of that will change after the next drydock though. No chance I'm going to the east coast to get on it anyway. I never had a real problem with lines at Guys...Of course I went in september, not june.

We have been on Spirit class ships,Conquest, Splendor and Triumph.

The Triumph is the only one I would not do again.

I have no complaint about food,entertainment or decor but it was the worst organized ship I have ever been on!! Looong lines everywhere and staff who didn't know where to send people to debark who had FTTF and /or suites.

We enjoyed the ports and being away but with soo many other choices the Triumph will not be ours!

The Triumph does not have refrigerators and never has.

The Triumph does NOT serve escargot on five day cruises.

Yes it is older

You probably cruised during out of school.

The lines, oh well were are you going anyways??

The Triumph does not have refrigerators and never has.

Yes it is older

You probably cruised during out of school.

The lines, oh well were are you going anyways??

No escargot makes me sad. :(

Let me start by saying we've been on many cruises on the fantasy class ships, and enjoyed every one. So this time we decided to upgrade at least we thought to a larger ship which was the carnival Triumph. Embarkation went quick and when we first entered the ship we were told our rooms wouldn't be ready until 130, so we proceeded to the Lido deck to get some lunch which was fine because we had an 1130 boarding because we were some of the first people on the ship. After lunch we explored the ship waiting on our rooms to be ready. It didn't take me long to realize that this ship really didn't have aa cohesive flow of any kind it felt kind a splotchy. The ship decor was dated which I expected from reading reviews on here. So that was no surprise. The cruise Director Simon London was always upbeat and fun to be around. I would give overall dining main dining room and Lido deck a five out of 10 score. Guys burgers were really good. That's only when you could get one due to the long lines . On the formal night in the main dining room we had any time dining we were seated at 6:15 was not waited until a quarter till seven we completed our meal at 8:45 that is completely unsatisfactory. We ate in the main dining room twice on formal night and again on Wednesday night I ordered the escargot and they are the best chewy little morsels I had on the ship, but anything drenched in garlic butter and Parmesan has to be good. The seafood shack was good the best thing we ate there were the boiled shrimp. The shows were OK and that's about all I can say about that. The shows on the fantasy class , Fascination, Elation and Fantasy were much better and seemed more prepared. All in all we had fun but the ship was dated ,lines were long ,food sub par but heck we were on vacation and I wasn't at work so really wasn't that bad. I would definitely go on another cruise with carnival just probably not on the Carnival Triumph. I've already come home and started looking at the website for future cruises. sorry if this review was all over the place I've never done one before but that was my two cents worth

Thad - how long was your cruise? Another poster mentioned no escargot - I am booked on a 5-day in September, and would love to hear that was incorrect (escargot is a favorite of mine :) ). Thanks for the review!!

My wife would differ as she had the escargot on our five day on Jan 29th.

While I found the crew on the Triumph better than Elation (Our only cruises to date), I wholeheartedly agree with the OP that the smaller ships are better laid out.

• 2 weeks later...

Every 5 day cruise that I've been on had escargot. As for refrigerators, my balcony on the Sunshine was not supposed to have one but it did so you never know. Actually, you really can't fit much in them although I do understand that some people travel with medication that needs to be refrigerated. Truth be told, lack of escargot and/or refrigerators won't make me stop cruising.

Your assessment was very fair. We were on the Triumph in March for a 5 day cruise...along with the entire state of Arkansas, who happened to be on their spring break. Pools were too cold to swim in, hot tubs packed with kids, long lines to Guys/Pizza Pirate, lots of signs of aging (ie rust stains on weird pool steps), congestion, etc.

Our dining room service and food were great, but took forever. While we had a good cruise, it was probably our least favorite vacation ever because of the weather, ship crowd, and lack of activities available during times of bad weather. I wouldn't cruise her again until she's dry-docked and refurbished and NEVER again during spring break!